1. The HOYT
HOMESTEAD- This house was built by General Daniel Hoyt in 1810.
There was an old house standing on this location in 1806. Subsequent
owners have been Ira A. Moulton, H. Marston, Mrs. Julia Sherman Hoyt,
Sarah and Susie Sherman, Albert S. Hoyt and Mrs. Minerva Hamilton Hoyt.
2. Miss ANGELIA SMITH'S PLACE-
This was owned and occupied by Jeremiah Smith; Lyman Webster and wife
lived here for a time. It was the home of James M. Smith and family for
many years and is then the property of Miss Angelia A. Smith (1927).
3. SITE of JAMES M. SMITH'S
STORE- This location was first occupied by a house belonging to Samuel
Ambrose. Later Mr. Smith had a tin shop and store here which was moved
across the street.
4. Mrs. HATTIE SKINNER'S PLACE-
This house was built by John Burleigh for his son Josiah. It was
owned for many years by J. Curtis Burleigh, then occupied as a hotel; by
Daniel Sherman and family then belonged to Mrs. Hattie Skinner.
5. Mrs. J. ALPHONSO SMITH'S
PLACE- The first name that we find connected with this place is that
of the Stickney's. Then the Spokefield's. It was owned for many
years by Moulton H. Marston who rented it to many different people.
It had been the property of Mrs. H. Annie Smith for some years.
6. The W. O. DEARBORN PLACE-
This was built by Warren Dearborn and has always remained in the family.
7. WARREN DEARBORN'S CABINET
SHOP- This building was first built used as a furniture shop, later as
a shoe shop, and then for a dwelling. The first occupants that
history tells us of were the Stickney's, and then the Spokefield family.
It was owned and rented for many years by Moulton H. Marston.
8. ELMER S. THOMPSON'S PLACE-
This set of buildings was built by Charles H. Atwood. Subsequent owners
have been George W. Thompson, Charles Thompson and Elmer S. Thompson.
9. EARL PEASLEE'S HOME-
This was originally the No.7 School House. It was owned by John M.
Smith, then Frank Bean and family lived here for several years.
Later owners have been Mrs. Susan Willey, George Gault and Charles B.
10. The E. HARRIS METCALF
HOUSE- The owners of the former house that stood on this location were
John M. Smith, W. A. Heard and Ezekiel Dustin. This house was built by C.
B. Hoyt. Subsequent owners were Harry Blanchard, Clarence Brown, Frank
Parris and E. Harris Metcalf as Trustee.
11. GROVE CEMETERY-
Largely owned by the Methodists. The first person buried here was the wife
of Moulton H. Marston in 1857.
12. ICEHOUSE- Building was
formerly used as a slaughter house by John M. Smith, and Willis B. Marston.
13. The BURNHAM HOMESTEAD-
The first owner in history was Samuel Smith. Later it became
the property of Mary Ann Bryant, Wesley Burnham, and his heirs.
14. WESLEY BURNHAM COBBLER
SHOP- This shop is known to have been used as a cobbler shop by Wesley
Burnham. It was formerly the carriage house of John M. Smith and moved
here from Skinner Street.
15. KARL BICKFORD'S HOUSE-
The owner's of this home have been Joseph Bean, George Webster, Asa S.
Prescott, Arthur P. Moulton, George Bickford and Margaret B. Bickford.
16. The COLLINS HOUSE- The
building came from the McGrillis farm in Whiteface, where it had been
moved from Bennett Street. It was re-erected by Willis B. Marston and then
was sold to Misses Collins of Rhode Island.
17. WARREN GILMAN'S HOME-
Built by Jeremiah Smith. Owners or occupants have been Amasa Horn, Oscar
Wheedon, Charles Bryant, and John Hodge. It was then sold to Warren
18. The CHARLES HOYT PLACE-
Cleared and owned by the Hoyt family and occupied by Joseph Hoyt,
Ezekiel Hoyt, Benjamin Burleigh, Burleigh Hoyt and Charles Hoyt.
The Dale Road. According to the
Carroll County History: "In June 1797 it was voted to lay out a road to
Thornton, and the selectmen were requested to petition the General Court
for a tax of 2˘
an acre on all lands in Sandwich for the
purpose of opening said road." The road was finally opened in 1801, and
the town and state maintained it jointly.
SITE of OLD BURLEIGH HOUSE- A one-story house stood here and was owned
by a man named Roberts. Later it became the property of John
Burleigh and then was added to make the upper part of Samuel Burleigh's
house, located next to the north of Charles Hoyt's home.
The original house on this site was a two-story structure which burned
about 1860. The first owner, thought to be Robert's was succeeded by
Mr. Ladd who kept a store. The present house was built by the Ebenezer
Dale family and subsequent owners have been Charles Atwood, Elisha Marston
and John c. Gilman.
GOLD MINE- The Diamond Gold Mine was opened in 1877 and a shaft 84
feet in depth was sunk. It was operated only for about a year, but
work on the vertical shaft, 300 feet long, was recommenced by a new
company in 1903 and continued for a few years, still under the management
or the organizer Harry Pascoe, a '49 miner. It then became the property of
Edward Samuels of Baltimore, Maryland.
OLD TUTTLE PLACE- The first house here was built in 1794 by Thomas
Colby, had two story front with roof sloping down to the one-story back,
and its ornate parlor was plastered and frescoed walls was a thing of
marked elegance. Later owners were Tuttle, Thomas B. Weeks (1840),
Thomas Burleigh, Mrs. L.W. Stanton (Burleigh's daughter), and Charles O.
The ISRAEL GILMAN PLACE- Israel Gilman (from whom Mt. Israel
derived its name) settled on this farm in 1768, living in a crude log
cabin in the lower field, north of Bearcamp river. His son Jonathan built
the present house in 1794, for a tavern, but it was never used. Paul
Wentworth bought the farm about 1840 and later sold it to Thomas B. Weeks
whose family remained until 1894, when Fred H. Edgerly bought it from
Daniel W. Weeks. It then passed to Charles O. Smith.
ASAHEL WALLACE PLACE- Settled by Jacob Smith and subsequently owned by
Paul Wentworth, Benjamin Way, John Beede, John W. Beede, Asahel Wallace,
Scribner and Brown, Arthur Avery.
LEWIS Q. SMITH PLACE- Also settled by Jacob Smith and now owned by
descendents. Previously owned by Eliphalet Smith, John Smith, Lewis Q.
Smith and Demerritt Smith.
SCHOOLHOUSE SITE- Number 12 Schoolhouse was erected on this site about
1885, but since has been moved onto the Nate Gilman property to the east
of his house.
SITE of EARLIER SCHOOLHOUSE- Among the teachers at the early school
here were Daniel G. Beede, and Dudley Leavitt, the noted mathematician.
NATHAN GILMAN PLACE- The home occupied for seventy three years by the
Gilman family has been owned by Jeremiah Smith, Mr. Dinsmore, Caleb
Gilman, and his descendents Jonathan, Elijah and Nathan.
FRYE PLACE-The respective owners of the first house on this site were
Paul Wentworth, Riley Magoon, and David Hatch. In 1882 Thomas
Worrell built the present structure, which has passed into the hands of
Nathaniel Frye, Orrin C. Frye, Andrew Delano, and then to John S. English.
ROAD to DIAMOND LEDGE CAMP- the road leads to the house and land which
were formerly owned by Miss Allah W. Foster of Boston, then Miss Grace
Morton Kingman who had a girl's and women's camp there.
ED MOUTLON FARM- Former owners and tenants of this farm have been
families by the name of Ham, Copp, John D. Cook, Moses Moulton and son
Herbert Moulton. Then sold to John Wentworth.
HARRY SMITH'S HOUSE- Originally the home of Joshua Tanner, then
Charles Smith, and then to his son Harry Smith.
MAGOON'S PLACE- Asa's son Leslie Magoon lived here after his father
death. It then became the home of Walter Avery.
SMITH HOMESTEAD- Occupied for three generations of the Smith family:
Levi H. Smith, one-time owner of the mill on Montgomery Brook, Levi Smith,
and Willis Smith.
HERMAN CLARK'S HOME- After Tristram Mason, the original owner, came
Ambrose Hill, Amasa Horn and then Herman Clark.
JACOB MOULTON HOMESTEAD- Jonathan Bean, the first owner of this place
sold it to Jacob Moulton, who in turn sold it to Lewis C. Gilman.
Following owners were Samuel Chase, Elmer Thompson, and Charles MacGregor.
NORMAN HODGE'S HOUSE- After Nicholas Smith, the old settler, lived
here, the house passed to DeMerritt Smith, son of Levi Q. Smith. Then
passed to his grandson Norman Hodge.