John Smith of Coleraine married Jane Curtis and had a son John Smith of Gils Cottage (died 1814 aged 89) married Catherine Smith (died 1817 aged 74). This pair were parents of Samuel Smith (1770-1857) who married Mary Ranken (1790-1872)--see Ranken family tree--and had family:
1. Mary died 1892 aged 82 married Rev. John Rogers, born at Agivey, Moderator General Assembly (1863-1865), Professor of Sacred Rhetoric and Caths. at A.C.B. (1869-1886).
2. John, M.D. (died 1867 aged 56), of Moneycarrie married 1866 Lizzie Martin of Rathfriland and had daughter Mary Ranken (born 1867) married 1888 John Malcomson.
3. David of Heathfield (died 1890 aged 77) married Eliza daughter of Dan Boyle, Coleraine, and had family including:
5. Samuel, drowned in Appalachicola, USA, in 1851 aged 34, while trying to save his horse.
6. Thomas died in Australia 1868 aged 50.
7. Catherine (born 1818) married 1855 in Aghadowey a widower William James Moore Lyttle, merchant, Belfast and had son Thomas Smith Lyttle married 1885 Margaret Church Lyle (see Ranken family tree) and had daughters Jane Ranken Lytle married 1916 Dr. C. W. Moffitt (sons Ranken Moffitt and G. W. Moffitt Jun. married Ann Walker Jones) and Catherine Smith Lytle now (1972) living St. Louis. After death of W. J. M. Lyttle in 1883 his widow Catherine married James Ranken.
8. Hugh, M.D., died at Sandhurst, Australia, in 1860 aged 39.
9. Jane (died 1872 aged 49) married 1849 in Aghadowey, William Jefferson of Aghadowey.
10. Anne (died 1904 aged 79) married 1856 in Aghadowey, Hugh Ranken Morrison of Moneydig (see Ranken family tree).
11. James of Hermitage (died 1872 aged 45) married Eliza Denison Taylor and had family:
Three brothers, John Orr, William Orr and James Orr came to the Aghadowey district.
1. John (died 1779) married 1745 Jane Cloney or McEwen (1731-1794), daughter of a Presbyterian minister and had issue:A. James(born 1747).
B. Elinor (born 1750), died in Dublin.
C. William (born 1751)
D. John (1752-1835) accompanied Lord Macartney to India and had a command in East India Company. Married 1789 a Miss Daniell, no family.
E. Samuel (1753-1812), secretary to Admiral Hughes in India, afterwards had command in 19th Dragoons. Married first Miss Sarson, and second Miss Eyre of Sandford, aunt of Lady Nelson. No family.
F. Wakefield (born 1756), an attorney, died unmarried.
G. Henry (1757-1821) married Margaret, daughter of Dr. McIlwaine of Coleraine and had issue:
(a) Samuel (died 1869 aged 74) married Anne, daughter of Rev. Thomas Paul, no family.
(b) William (died 1873) of Ballybrittain married Susan, daughter of Averil Lecky of Castle Lecky and had two daughters, Margaret, died 1836 aged 13 (after whom St. Margaret is named), and Alicia Lecky Ida died 1854 of consumption at Palermo.
(c) Jane, died of consumption or paralysis.
(d) Anne (died 1874 in Dublin).
(e) Mary (died about 15 years of age).
(f) Margaret (died young).
(g) Henry (died young).
(h) John(died in childhood).
H. Jane Margaret (1759-1847), the wonderful needlewoman.The family of the eldest brother John is extinct.
2. William, the second brother, married Miss Molyneux of Co. Antrim, and died about 1767 leaving family:
A. James of Keely (died 1841) who built Keely, married 1782 Elizabeth Spotswood and had issue:
- (a) William (1784-1787).
- (b) Elizabeth married Hugh Lecky and had children Hugh, James Orr,
- John, Connolly and Andrew.
- (c) Andrew of Keely and Hillburn (1786-1864) married Mary Holmes
- of Belfast and had issue:i. James (1821.1874).
ii. Anne (1822-1871) married Rev. R. P. Young of Tipperary, no family.
iii. Elizabeth (born 1824) married Rev. Robert McNaghten.
- iv. Rev. Robert Holmes (died 1895) married first Mary Guiness and second Jane Ashe. By his first wife he had issue Catherine Pauline, Alice, Mary, Andrew Alymer, Anna Margaret Robertson, Ellen Lucy, Arthur James, John Robert.
- v. Ellen Joy (1827-1850).
- vi. Andrew (1829-1870) married Lucy Erskine Acworth and had issue:
- (1) Ellen Toy (married Robert Todd),
- (2) Andrew William (married Henrietta Mary Bird),
- (3) Harriett Gertrude,
- (4) Herbert Holmes,
- (5) Mary Acworth,
- (6) Lucy Elizabeth,
- (7) Charles William James.
(d) Anne (1790-1868) married Captain Robert Mackay, her cousin, and had two children, John and Betsy, died aged 12 and 22.(e) Isabella (1792-1816).
(f) William (1794-1809).
(g) James (1796-1815).
B. William, built Moneycarry green, married Catherine Ogilby whose brother Robert built Woodbank house near Garvagh and had a large family, most of whom went to America and died young, none married in Ireland. Their names were Anne, Mary, Catherine, Jane, James, William, John, Robert (who died about 1874 and left a good business in Pittsburgh to his sons), and Hester.C. John, mentioned with William in a law case as residing in Gortan, and a nephew of James Orr.3. James, the third brother, married Elizabeth Alexander of Limavady and had issue:
D. Mary married Mr. Rankin, and writer of family tree thinks a daughter married Mr. Smith of Killykergan. I take this to be Mary of Moneycarrie, (died 1835 aged 78), who married David Ranken and had a daughter Mary Ranken of Heathfield married Samuel Smith of Gills.
E. Anne, married Mr. Hunter of Coleraine, engaged in green at Keely, and had a daughter Jane, married James Guthrie of Coleraine, a banker and afterwards Town Clerk of Belfast.
F. Jane, married Robert, son of Abraham Browne of Aghadowey green, lived in Aghadowey House and had children Anne (married O'Donnell), Thomas and Jane.
A. Alexander or Alick of Landmore (born 1761), married Miss Dunbar of Woburn and had issue:(a) Sarah, born 1789, died in infancy.
(b) Eliza, born 1790, married first Rev. John Paul, Rector of Aghadowey and second Rev. Stephen Gwynne, Rector of Agherton, no family.
(c) Eleanor, born 1792, died unmarried.
(d) Sarah, born 1793.
(e) James, born 1795, an attorney. married Miss Johnson of Belfast, and left a son who died young.
(f) George, born 1799, took name Dunbar, married Miss Beresford, cousin of the Marquis of Waterford, and had two sons and a daughter.i. Captain George, died 1884.(g) Anna, married Pilkington.
ii. Georgina, married General Dunbar Buller.B. Margaret, married John Mackay of Elagh and Prospect, Portstewart, and had issue:(a) Elizabeth, died 1864 aged 78, unmarried.C. Elizabeth, married John Church, attorney, of Oatlands, Myroe, and had a large family including:
(b) Frances Georgina, died unmarried.
(c) Mary Anne (1788-1880).
(d) Robert, married 1816, Anne Orr of Keely, his second cousin.
(e) Margaret, married Austin.
(f) John James, died young.
(g) Catherine, died young.
(h) Rebecca Dupre, married William Wilson.
(i) Helen Wylly, died young.
(j) William Thomas, went to America.
(k) Octavia, died young.(a) Rebecca, married 1824, Monk Eagleson of Ardverness.D. Anne Helen, married Stephen Church. E. Alicia, married John Britton without paternal consent.
(b) Anne, married Robert Forrester.
(c) Margaret (1798-1872) married 1824, Rev. William Lyle of 1st Dunboe Presbyterian Church.
F. Rebecca, unmarried.
1. ? John, died 1766, aged 61.
2. David of Heathfield (died 1809, aged 80). I have rejected the family tree here as its dates are impossible at this point, and believe this placing to be correct. (See Ranken of Heathfield).
3. Hugh of Lisboy (died 1770, aged 44), married Mearns (died 1809, aged 60), and had a son:
(2) John, twin of Mary (1857-1922), married first Anna, daughter of Rev. Mr. Dickey of Second Kilrea and had sons Hugh Ranken and Joseph Dickey. He married second Mrs. Burton (nee Kidd) and had daughter, Anna.
(3) Dr. Hugh Smith (1858-1329), M.P. and author of Modern Ulster, married and had sons:
(B) Dr. Albert, married 1920, in Aghadowey, Gladys Eva
(6) Robert Patton Ranken (1870-195-), Professor of Gynecology at Durham and founder of the Mary Ranken Maternity Hospital, married Mary Bagnall, and had daughter: (A) Margaret Ranken (1917-1967).
(7) David Ranken (1872-1933), Judge in the High Court
of the United Provinces, India, married 1919, Muriel Wreford Heard, and
(B) Muriel Anne Church, married 1954, Rev. Merfyn Parry, and has children, Richard Delwyn, Katherine Margaret, Hugh Ranken and Andrew James.
(C) Margaret Kathleen Heard, married 1955, John McLeod Dowson, and has children, Margaret Jane, Gillian Ruth, Timothy John Lyle and Nicholas.
(D) Barbara Mary Ranken, married Brian Arthur Crouch,
and has children, Ruth Margaret, Jane Mary, Bridget Anne and Paul David
i. Mary (1790-1867), married Joseph Patton of Crindle
Cottage, a cousin of James Patton whose daughter Jane married her brother,
1. Hugh (died 1802 aged 19), unmarried.
2. William (died 1833 aged 47), unmarried.
3. John of Woodbank and Lisnablaugh (died 1821 aged 33),
married Bess, daughter of Molyneux of Cooleyrammer (she was a cousin of
his mother), died at Ballykelly 1871 aged 84 and had issue:
D. Jane, died at Dunedin Terrace, Coleraine, in 1898 aged
E. Hugh. F. Eliza, died Woodhouse, Ballykelly, 1876 aged 59.
ii. William B. Ranken, married 1948 Margaret Tucker Caperton and has three sons, David Dean 2nd, Gaston Caperton and William Bannard Jun.
iii. Margaret Blanchard, married 1948 Townsend Weekes
of Oyster Bay, Long Island, and has three children. E. Anne Orr (1845-1870),
unmarried. F. Mary Jane (1847-1892), unmarried.
(b) Colonel Robert, married Elizabeth, daughter of General George Reid, and was A.D.C. to General Stark. They had nine children: David, George, Mary Ann (married 1832 Rev. John R. Adams of West Parish, Londonderry), Maria, Eliza, Robert, James, John, Daniel.
(d) James, had store in Londonderry, and had six children: Daniel, James, Stephen, Jane, Mary, Nancy.
(f) Margaret, married James Rogers.
(g) Mary Anne, married James Hopkins.
(h) Jane, married Robert Hunter.
(i) Mary, married Robert Means of Amherst.
E. Alexander, married and had daughter: