Northern IrelandGenWeb Resource Listing
General Information About Northern Ireland
Birth, Death and Marriage records are held at the General Register Office. The General Register Office, contained within the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA), is primarily concerned with administering the registration of births, deaths and marriages. The main records held are the statutory registers of births, deaths, marriages, still-births and adoptions. The registers themselves are not open to inspection, but information from them is supplied in the form of certificates. The office does not itself engage in genealogical research although the records can contain valuable information for anyone compiling a family tree. (Linked from GRO)
General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRO)
Oxford House, 49-55 Chichester Street
Belfast BT1 4HC
Tel: (From inside UK) 01232 251318
(From outside UK) +44 1232 251318)
The Public Records Office of Northern Ireland and is the official place of deposit for public records in Northern Ireland. Their aim is to collect, catalogue and preserve any documents that provide a legal or historical record of the past. They also try to make as many as possible of these records available to the public for consultation and research. PRONI has records that deal with the public areas of Northern Ireland and also personal papers from individuals. For vital records, see the GRO (above).
If you are new to Northern Ireland research, make sure you read Using PRONI to get a good overview of the records office, what is available and how to go about searching and ordering documents from them. See also for a listing of other online resources.
How to do Irish Genealogy
Archives, Libraries and Societies
- Armagh Observatory Archives
- Belfast Telegraph
- The Library at the University of Ulster
- Linen Hall Library Homepage
- The Queen's University of Belfast
- Ulster American Folk Park
- University of Ulster, Coleraine Library Special Collections
Family History Associations and Societies
The North of Ireland Family History Society
c/o School of Education
The Queen's University of Belfast
69 University Street, Belfast BT7 1HL
Ulster Historical Foundation
12 College Square East
Belfast BT1 6DD N Ireland
Tel: + 44 1232 332288 Fax: + 44 1232 239885
Local Culture, Genealogy, and Society
There are many Irish genealogical and cultural resources on the web.
- The Centre for Irish Genealogical and Local Studies
- Cyndi's Ireland and Northern Ireland
- Directory of Irish Sites
- Doras Directory of Genealogy
- Fianna Research Study Group is a great resource and has information on all irish counties as well.
- Genealogical Publication Sources
- Genuki-Ireland is a UK based non-profit website that has wonderful resource information online. They have county pages for all the counties within Ireland.
- The Immigrant Ship Transcribers Guild
- IrelandGenWeb is our sister project and has information online for all the counties that make up the Republic of Ireland.
- The Irish Ancestral Research Association
- Irish Emigrant Publication
- Irish Family Mottos
- Irish Links
- Irish Times Ancestry Pages
- National Archives of Ireland
- Northern Ireland Ancestral Heritage
- Northern Irish References
Travel Northern Ireland