Northern IrelandGenWeb Project
Policies and Guidelines
There may be a county site available for adoption. If you would like to join this project, please email me, Denise Wells, and include the name of the country you are interested in adopting.
The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project maintains very high standards in page creation, site management, and overall quality of presentation for all associated project pages. The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project encourages freedom of expression, national cultural uniqueness and individual creativity by project hosts in the actual design of their pages. Certain elements are required, however, to help maintain the cohesiveness of the project.
- The WorldGenWeb Logo and Name must be present on the Northern IrelandGenWeb homepage, it is optional for the county homepage. All Northern IrelandGenWeb Project sites share the same alpha-neumonic name and all projects must conform to this standard. The project name is The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project. County pages follow this same example: County Antrim, Northern IrelandGenWeb Project
- County websites must contain a link to the Northern IrelandGenWeb website (http://www.rootsweb.com/~nirwgw) with any of the official Northern IrelandGenWeb Logo buttons.
- The Northern IrelandGenWeb website and the county websites must contain a link to The BritishIslesGenWeb Project website located at http://www.britishislesgenweb.org This logo button may be used, but is not required.
- Non-Commercial Status: The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project is a non-commercial entity. The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project is dedicated to the concept of free exchange of public-domain records via the internet. As such we do not charge for the resources available through our pages. We may link to commercial websites however that does not imply that we endorse their services.
- Copyright: The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project encourages the collection and publication of non-copyrighted materials online by hosts. The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project will not pay royalties to any organization or institution. Therefore, we stipulate that all materials placed online at any project website be free from copyright infringement.
- The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project feels strongly that GENUKI has some of the best material online to assist researchers in Ireland. We are working collaboratively with them to provide additional services to researchers that are not currently available through their project setup. It is not the aim of the Northern IrelandGenWeb to replicate the resources available from GENUKI. The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project functions more as a query resource and family association project rather than as a national resource center. Volunteers for any country or county website within the BritishIslesGenWeb should seek to provide those additional services that GENUKI does not provide. Examples of that include:
- Query Pages
- Mailing Lists
- Lookup Resources
- Family Association Website Links
- County hosts are strongly encouraged to contact and establish a relationship with the corresponding GENUKI county host. The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project has worked hard at establishing a strong collaborative relationship with GENUKI and will not permit an individual country/county host jeopardize that relationship. The Northern IrelandGenWeb and the County hosts will maintain a promenade link to the corresponding GENUKI website.
- The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project endeavors to maintain that all materials collected through associated project websites will not be distributed commercially. Country coordinators and project volunteers work on the honor system, and we "assume" that materials placed online are free from any copyright infringement and that they will not be sold or republished in any form.
- Individual's who submit data to any website are free to include the word "private" in place of any records or dates. This does dilute the value of the record submitted but we wholeheartedly support the privacy rights of the individual.
- Each country and county website within the Northern IrelandGenWeb Project will maintain a method for posting queries.
- County hosts must maintain their websites. This means that broken links must be fixed in a timely manner, and dates should be placed on each website to show when the last update was made.
These policies are an adaptation of the policies of the BritishIslesGenWeb Project located at http://www.britishislesgenweb.org/policy.html and the polices of the WorldGenWeb Project located at http://www.worldgenweb.org/policy.html. Each host is responsible for reviewing these websites to ensure they are in compliance. These Guidelines and Policies were last updated on 31 December 2003.
Disclaimer: The Northern IrelandGenWeb Project does not guarantee the authenticity or source of any collected material place online at project websites and is to be held free and indomitable from any and all liabilities based on such materials. The BritishIslesGenWeb will remove any materials found to be in violation of all U.S. Copy Right Laws and statutes.