The Daily Union history of Atlantic City and County, New Jersey
: containing sketches of the past and present of Atlantic City
and county, with maps and illustrations specially prepared, by
John F. Hall; The Daily Union History of Atlantic City and County,
New Jersey. Atlantic City, N.J.: Daily Union, 1900.
History of New Jersey, published by Daniel Fenton, of Trenton,
in 1834, contains the following interesting sketches of Gloucester
County, of which at that time Atlantic County formed a part.
ABSECUM.--A post town
of Galloway township, on Absecum creek, about two miles above
Absecum bay, contains a tavern, a store, and 8 or 10 dwellings,
surrounded by sand and pine forest.
(Atlantic City), on the Atlantic Ocean, extends eastwardly from
Great Egg Harbor Inlet, about 9 miles to Absecum Inlet; broken,
however, by a narrow inlet near midway between its extremeties.
BARGAINTOWN, in Egg Harbor
township, 4 miles from Egg Harbor bay, contains 2 taverns, 1
store, a grist mill, Methodist Church and about 30 dwellings.
(Port Republic), of Galloway Township, 40 miles southeast of
Woodbury, the county seat, and 79 miles form Tentone on Nacote
creek, contains a tavern, a store, and 10 or 12 dwellings.
post town, in Galloway township, 83 miles from Trenton, contains
a store, a tavern and 4 or 5 houses.
on the Oswego branch of Wading river, about 4 miles above navigation,
in Washington township, Burlington County, has a grist and saw
mill and iron furnace; makes about 750 tons of castings annually,
employed 60 hands, making a population of nearly 400, requiring
30 or 40 dwellings. There are about 30,000 acres in the estate.
of Hamilton township, on the Great Egg Harbor river, at the head
of sloop navigation, 16 miles form the sea and 35 miles southeast
from Woodbury and 73 miles from Trenton, built on both sides
of the river, contains 3 taverns, 4 stores, a Methodist Church
and 25 or 30 dwellings. Considerable trade in lumber, cordwood
and shipbuilding is carried on at this place.
of Galloway township, on the Atsion river, contains a tavern,
2 stores, a glass factory, belonging to Coffin & Co., a cotton
factory with 3,000 spindles, and from 20 to 30 dwellings.
port of entry for Great Egg Harbor district, on Great Egg Harbor
bay. Tavern and boaring houses and several farm houses here.
Is much resorted to for sea bathing in summer and gunning in
the fall season.
SMITHVILLE, village in Galloway,
2 miles from Leeds Point, contains a tavern, a store, Methodist
meeting house, and 10 or 12 dwellings, surrounded by pines and
near salt marsh.
TUCKAHOE, on both sides
of the Tuckahoe river, over which there is a bridge, 10 miles
from the sea, contains some 20 dwellings, 3 taverns and several
stores. It is a place of considerable trade in wood, lumber and
shipbuilding. The land immediate on the river is good, but a
short distance from it is swampy and low.
towns of Gloucester County are Absecum, Bargaintown, Camden,
an incorporated city, Carpenters Landing, Chews Landing, Clarksboro,
Glassboro, Gloucester Furnace, Gravelly Landing, Haddonfield,
Hammonton, Jackson Glassworks, Leeds Point, Longacoming, Malaga,
Mays Landing, Mullica Hill, Pleasant Mills, Smiths Landing, Somers
Point, Stephens Creek, Sweedesboro [sic Swedesboro], Tuckahoe,
and Woodbury, the seat of justice of the county.
are several academies for teaching the higher branches of education
and primary schools in most of the agricultural neighborhoods.
There are also established Sunday-schools in most, if not all,
the populous villages; a county bible society, various tract
societies and many temperance associations, which have almost
rendered the immoderate use of ardent spirits infamous.
the report of the county assessors gave 3,075 households, whose
ratables did not exceed $30 in value, 978 single men, 102 stores,
21 fisheries, 45 grist mills, 2 cotton and 2 woollen factories,
4 carding machines, 4 blast furnaces, 3 forges, 63 saw mills,
4 fulling mills, 8 feerries, 9 tan yards, 29 distilleries, 7
glass factories, 2 four-horse stage wagons, 967 covered wagons
with fixed tops, 204 riding chairs, gigs, sulkies and pleasure
carriages, 4 two-horse stage wagons, 31 dearborns with steel,
iron or wooden springs; and it paid a county tax of $10,000;
poor tax, $5,000; and road tax, $15,000.
census of 1830 Gloucester County, twelve large township, contained
28,431 inhabitants, of whom 13,916 were white males, 12,962 white
females, 14 female slaves; 835 free colored males; 714 free colored
females. Of these there were deaf and dumb, under 14 years, 64;
above 14 and under 30, 73; above 25 years, 80; blind, 205 white,
22 black; aliens 3,365.
is a county poor house on a farm of 200 acres near Blackwoodstown,
in Deptford township.
History of Atlantic County NJ
Gloucester County at one time extended from the Delaware to the
sea, including what is now Camden, Atlantic, and Gloucester Counties.
Camden was made a county by an act of the legislature March 13,
1844, seven years after Atlantic County had been created.
7, 1837, an act was passed creating Atlantic County. There were
then only four large townships or voting places in this county:
Egg Harbor, Weymouth, Hamilton and Galloway. Mullica was created
out of Galloway, and the town of Hammonton out of Mullica. Buena
Vista, in 1867, was created out of Hamilton and Atlantic City
set off form Egg Harbor township in 1854.
deed was recorded by J.H. Collins, the first county clerk, on
May 4, 1837, and was for 40 acres of land in Egg Harbor township,
sold by D. Robart and wife to Samuel Saunders.
Richards and wife gave to the Board of Freeholders the lot at
Mays Landing for the county buildings, by deed dated May 25,
1838, and the present court house was soon after erected thereon.
annual meeting of the Board of Freeholders of Gloucester County,
held in May, 1836, 28 members constituted the Board, while at
the annual meeting on the 10th of May, 1837, 20 members composed
the body, the townships of Hamilton, Weymouth, Egg Harbor, and
Galloway having been set off from Gloucester County, forming
a new county called Atlantic, by an act of the legislature passed
the 7th day of February, A.D. 1837. At this meeting commissioners
were appointed to value the public buildings at Woodbury, the
almshouse property, and other assets of the County of Gloucester,
and to ascertain what proportion of such valuation would be due
to the county of Atlantic, according to the ratio of population
determined by the last census.
appointed for Gloucester County were: John Clements, Elijah Bower
and Saunders; for Atlantic County, Daniel Baker, Joseph Endicott
and Enoch Doughty. These gentlemen met at the court house in
Woodbury on the 9th day of May, 1837, at 10 o'clock and were
each sworm or affirmed faithfully and impartially to value the
public properties of Gloucester County... Their report was submitted
to the respective Boards of Freeholders of the counties of Gloucester
and Atlantic, with the sincere wish, now that their interests
are about to be separated, that in all the future transcations
and intercourse of the officers and inhabitants of the said district
with each other, they may ever be actuated by the same charity,
forbearance and goodwill, that we trust and believe, have governed
us in our labors to arrive at the conclusion stated. The report
was signed by all of the commissioners and approved by the respective
Boards of Freeholders.
County has been still further divied up into cities and boroughs
until now it has 28 voting precincts instead of the original
four of 60 years ago. Atlantic City was incorporated in 1854,
Egg Harbor City in 1858, Hammonton in 1865, Buena Vista in 1867,
Absecon in 1872, and Somers Point, Pleasantville, Linwood, Brigantine
City, and South Atlantic City more recently.
7, 1837 the townships of Egg Harbor, Weymouth, Galloway and Hamilton
set off from Gloucester County to become the new county of Atlantic.
The county seat was designated to be Mays Landing. Each of these
townships was made up of towns, villages and stations on the
SEE 1844 History of Egg Harbor, Hamilton, Mullica,
Weymouth and Galloway.
was the original township. It covered what is now all of Atlantic
County plus part of Gloucester County.
Galloway separated from Egg Harbor Township 1774.
Weymouth separated from Egg Harbor Township in 1798.
Hamilton separated from Egg Harbor Township 1813.
Atlantic City was incorporated in 1854
Egg Harbor City incorporated in 1858
Hammonton incorporated in 1865
Buena Vista incorpoated in 1867
Absecon incorporated in 1872