Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Colonel Thomas Reynolds Chapter, NSDAR

Our Chapter

Current Officers        Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter History       Highlights: Bergen Chapter        Highlights: Paulus Hook Chapter

Chapter Officers 2016-2019

Regent Kelly Bount
Vice Regent Tisa Surat
Chaplain Elsie Sienkiewicz
Recording Secretary Diane Gianettano
Corresponding Secretary Alice Aiello
Treasurer Joanne Tobias
Registrar Emily Carlin
Historian Susan Sienkiewicz
Librarian Elizabeth Valdes
Board Members Emily Carlin, Kelly Blount, Joanne Greene Tobias

 

 

 
Chapter Committee Chairmen
American History Month Heather Ward
American Indians Joanne Greene Tobias
Americanism / Citizen Manual Geraldine  Eggert
Children of the American Revolution Emily Carlin
Conservation Kelly Molinari
Constitution Week Elsie Sienkiewicz
DAR Good Citizens April Kugler
DAR Magazine Diane Gianettano
DAR Museum Linda Harris
DAR School Marilyn Holt
The Flag of the United States of America Donna Dorgan
Genealogical Records Alice Aiello
Honor Roll Joanne Greene Tobias
Membership Tisa Surat
National Defense Elizabeth Valdes
Program Emily Carlin
Public Relations Barbara Mills
VIS Chairman Emily Carlin
   

return to top

 

Highlights of Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter, as well as those of Bergen Chapter and Paulus-Hook Chapter, are excerpts from “The History of Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter, Jersey City, New Jersey, No. 2-007, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1899-1990,” compiled by Joan R. Kraft.


Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter Highlights

"On October 24, 1951, Paulus Hook Chapter joined with the Bergen Chapter and the new Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter was formed. The merging Regents were Mrs. Harvey B. Nelson for the Bergen Chapter and Miss Alice G. Throckmorton for the Paulus Hook Chapter.

“Miss Helen M. Wright was Regent of the Chapter from 1953-1956. She...came to Jersey City in 1899 when her father was appointed Presiding Elder of the Jersey City District of Methodist Churches.

“Besides her extensive work on DAR and genealogy tracings, Miss Wright was also the author of three books which are in all major libraries and in larger universities.”

“March 1956 marked the 50th anniversary of Bergen Chapter of Bergen-Paulus Hook. During the program, a citation of merit was presented to Mrs. Lillian Dennegar, Hudson Dispatch Society Editor. Miss Edith Locke, Society Reporter, accepted the citation. The Jersey Journal also received an award. The citation stated 'an award of merit to the Hudson Dispatch in grateful acknowledgment and sincere appreciation of outstanding services and worthy accomplishments for the protection of our Constitutional Republic.' This marked the first time this organization had publicly thanked the press for 'outstanding coverage and accurate presentation to the public of the services and activities of DAR,' said Miss Helen Wright, Regent."

Mrs. Henry A. Klie was elected chapter regent in March 1959. In March 1962, she was elected to serve as the New Jersey state librarian. Mrs. Klie became the state regent in 1983. She served as the national vice chairman and later, chairman, of the Honor Roll Committee. In 1986, Mrs. Klie was elected as Treasurer General, NSDAR; in 1990, she was elected treasurer of the National Officers Club.



"Honorary Treasurer General Hester Klie and Elizabeth Sayles Taylor a former member of Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter
at a NJDAR State Conference"


Mrs. Charles Cropper, Regent Paulus Hook Chapter 1921-1923

 


To continue reading the history of the Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter, please download the chapter history as a pdf file.

 


return to top

 

Highlights of the Bergen Chapter

“The Bergen Chapter was organized on March 9, 1906, with the enthusiastic support of Mrs. Ellen Mecum, who was the New Jersey State Regent. The first chapter in the City, Paulus Hook, desired not to increase its membership to over fifty and since there were a sufficient number of women in Jersey City eligible for membership the new chapter came into being. There were eighteen enthusiastic charter members. The members were unanimous in selecting Mrs. Philip K. Green as the new Regent. Mrs. Green was deemed eminently fitted to organize the society as she was a woman of rare executive ability and tact. She was a member of the old Van Reypen family, one of the first to settle in Bergen, her home being on the site selected by her ancestors, who built one of the first houses in the new settlement.”

“The Chapter was named for the “Village of Bergen” which was founded by Dutch Colonists in 1616, and was the first permanent settlement in New Jersey. In 1658-59, the land was purchased from the Indians by Director General Stuyvesant and Council of the New Netherlands. When the Colony came under English control, Governor Carteret granted a charter to the town and freeholders of Bergen, providing for a church and free school to be supported by a tract of land, tax exempt. During the Revolution the Americans built a fort near the center of the village and the British built one about a mile to the southeast. In 1780 the Battle of Bergen took place.

New Jersey Room

New Jersey Room in Memorial Continental Hall, Washington, D.C.

“The first grave marker placed by the Chapter (1907) was at the grave of Daniel Van Reypen in Old Bergen Cemetery. This marker, the insignia of the Daughters of the American Revolution, was of iron on a short standard, and was the first of its kind to be placed in any cemetery in Jersey City. The Regent, Mrs. George Reed, presided. A short selection was read in concert and members sang one stanza of “America.” Then Mrs. Green, who was a great granddaughter of the soldier being honored, unveiled the marker, placing over it an American flag.”

“In November of 1908 Mrs. Mecum, State Regent, informed Bergen Chapter members that New Jersey is to be represented by one of the thirteen Corinthian columns of Memorial Continental Hall being constructed in Washington. Also, she is to have a room furnished with wood from the old British frigate Augusta which was rated as one of England's best and which was run aground at the Battle of Red Bank, resting half under water for 130 years. The wood was to be put up as paneling and also to be made into furniture. The room eventually had stained glass casement windows depicting incidents and scenes from New Jersey’s Revolutionary history. The room was modeled after an ancient chamber of the City of London and is of the Jacobean period. A chandelier of iron beaten into shape by hand and cannon balls was later hung over the table as testimony to Mrs. Mecum’s labors in furnishing this room. She and Miss Ellen Matlock of Ann Whitall Chapter of New Jersey were the originators of the idea for the room."

To continue reading the history of the Bergen Chapter, please download the History of Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter as a pdf file.

return to top

 

Highlights of the Paulus Hook Chapter

“This Chapter was named in honor of the trading post which was established at Paulus Hook in 1633. This early trading post was named after Michael Pauw (Paulaz or Paulusen), a burgomaster of Amsterdam, and was near the present site of Jersey City. In 1779, the Battle of Paulus Hook took place at Grand and Greene Streets. The British Fort was on an island near these two streets and was stormed by “Light Horse Harry” Lee and three hundred men. This was considered by General Washington to be one of the most important events of the War.”

“Mrs. Joseph D. Bedle, who was the Vice Regent of the Nova Caesarea Chapter with twelve members of that Chapter, formed the Paulus Hook Chapter. The date was April 20, 1899, and the place the house which is now the St. Aloysius Academy, and which was then occupied by Mrs. Everest B. Kiersted, Bergen and Bentley Avenues. This was the first Jersey City Chapter and contained a membership limited to fifty, which has now been increased, with twelve members on the executive board.”

Paulus Hook Dedication

Paulus Hook Monument dedication on November 21, 1903

“On November 21, 1903 the City of Jersey City celebrated with splendor, Paulus Hook Day. The Paulus Hook Chapter though but four years old had been responsible for the shaft of rough hewn Quincy granite standing over 31 feet high at Washington and Grand Streets that was unveiled this day in the presence of a notable assemblage of representative people, and the State Militia. Honored guests included General Fitz Hugh Lee, great-grandson of our hero of Paulus Hook Colonel Harry Lee, Mrs. Charles W. Fairbanks, President General of NSDAR, Mrs. George T. Werts, wife of the ex-Governor, and Chapter Regent, made the presentation to the City, Mayor Fagan accepting it gratefully in the flag-decked City. Mrs. Althea Randolph Bedle, widow of ex-Governor Joseph Bedle, and Vice President General of the national Society addressed the large audience then pulled the strings that released the American flag. The latter fell exposing to view the two bronze plates on the north side of the pedestal that had an inscription giving a brief statement about the Battle of Paulus Hook and the other which had the insignia of the DAR. The orchestra struck up “America,” the warship Indiana fired its thirteen guns in a twenty-one gun salute and the crowd added to the din by cheers that could have been heard for blocks around. The spectators not only filled the streets, but crowded roofs of buildings near by.”

“With the advent of numerous motor vehicles the monument in the middle of the street was in a precarious location. In March of 1936, thirty-two years after the dedication, the monument was toppled over by a milk truck and shattered into eleven pieces. The base with its three circular steps remained intact. The driver was given a summons for reckless driving. At the spring luncheon in 1936 it was announced that the monument would be rebuilt on the same location."

To continue reading the history of the Paulus Hook Chapter, please download the History of Bergen-Paulus Hook Chapter as a pdf file.

return to top

divider bar

The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.