Page | Our Chapter
||Mary Lib DeMallie
Our chapter programs are varied, interesting, and educational.
In October of 2004, we presented a program on quilts from
the DAR Museum in Washington, D.C. At our November
meeting program, we learned about the DAR sponsored schools
in the Appalachian Mountains. In December, a luncheon featuring
a delightful "Christmas Past" theme, will be held.
As we do every year, in February of 2007 we will hold a special
event to honor our local students who participated in the
NSDAR American History essay contest. Attendees
will include all fifth through eighth grade students, contest
winners (first, second, third place, and honorable mention),
their parents, siblings, grandparents, teachers, principal,
and president of the Bloomfield Board of Education.
If you would like to attend one of our meetings, we would
be delighted to invite you to attend as a guest. Please contact
Oil portrait by Charles Willson Peale. Major Bloomfield
sat for this portrait in Philadelphia, April 1777. It
shows him in the full-dress uniform
of a New Jersey Continental officer--gray with dark
blue facings, cuffs, and collar, a light blue sash, and
silver epaulettes and buttons. The New Jersey uniform
was subsequently changed to blue with red facings. Photograph
courtesy of the American Philosophical Society
The Major Joseph Bloomfield chapter was founded on April 1,
1916 in Bloomfield, New Jersey. The organizing women
took the name of Joseph Bloomfield because they were proud
to bear the name of a New Jersey patriot who was distinguished
in both war and peace. Joseph Bloomfield was a major during
the American Revolution, and later a general in the War of
1812. He was governor of the state of New Jersey,
and a member of Congress.
The town of Bloomfield is named in his honor. He came to Bloomfield
and delivered an address on July 6, 1797. In 1923, on the
green where he spoke, the Major Joseph Bloomfield chapter
dedicated a plaque in his honor.
Bloomfield was buried in St. Mary's Episcopal Church Cemetery,
Burlington, New Jersey. This beautiful, quaint church is a
National Historic Landmark. On October 5, 1998 our chapter
members held a rededication ceremony at this site on the 175th
anniversary of his death.