The New Jersey Historical
Library Rules and Procedures
HOURS: Tuesday – Saturday:
12:00pm – 5:00pm
Since the NJHS library is a research library, it may not be like the public
library down the street to which most patrons may be accustomed.
The Society library maintains books, manuscripts and other material as an
historical record, so that patrons can find not only the information they need
about New Jersey’s history, but also so that that information can be preserved
for their grandchildren and great grandchildren as well.
Therefore, the Library does not contain much current material, nor books
or materials that patrons could check out of the library.
All of the library’s material is used on site in our Reading Room and
should be handled with care, so that others could use it in the future.
Our library staff is happy to aid any researcher with school projects,
dissertations, or genealogical research, but those patrons who do not wish to
follow our set policies, will be dismissed.
- In order to protect the collections and provide researchers with adequate
room to work, all personal possessions, including coats, umbrellas,
briefcases, knapsacks, bags, and purses, must be left in the first floor
coatroom where lockers are provided for storage of such items.
Only notebooks and pencils should be brought into the Reading
- All patrons must sign in at the reference desk before using library
- Only pencils may be used in the Reading Room (i.e. no pens, markers,
highlighters, etc.), but laptop computers also permitted, provided other
researchers are not disturbed. Electrified
tables are available.
must be handled with care. Do
not place notepapers or computers on books or manuscripts.
- Leave items on
tables or return them to the reference desk after use.
Please do not reshelve any materials.
- Patrons must fill out call slips for all materials requested from closed
stacks. Materials will not be
retrieved after 4:30pm. All
materials must be returned by 4:45pm.
- Users of manuscripts and rare books must complete the appropriate user
registration form and show a photo ID.
These materials must be returned directly to the library staff.
- Materials housed in offsite storage will be retrieved once a week.
Leave requests and telephone number and/or email address with library
cannot be photocopied without permission from library staff. Some materials are too fragile to reproduce.
Prices are: 35 cents per page for photocopies, 25 cents per page for
microfilm copies, 10 cents per page for computer print-outs, and $1.00 per
copy for scanned images. For
additional information, please see the librarian or the “Library Photocopy
- No material from the Historical Society’s collection may be reproduced
in any form without the Society’s written permission.
- Cellular phones and pagers should be turned off to provide for a quiet
environment for researchers. Please use the outer hallway or the downstairs lobby for
- Smoking, eating, and drinking are prohibited.