Hudson Co.
Historical Sites
 

 

Jersey City - from the City of Jersey City Web Site

Ionic House (Barrow Mansion)
83 Wayne Street
between Barrow Street and Jersey Avenue.
Built between 1835 and 1840.

Apple Tree House
298 Academy Street.
During the American Revolution, Washington and Lafayette dined under the apple tree in the
backyard.

Dickinson High School
Corner of Palisade and Newark Avenues

Van Vorst House
531 Palisade Avenue
Near South Street
Built in 1740. Oldest standing building in Jersey City. Now a private home.

William F. Brennan Courthouse
575 Newark Avenue
Built in 1910. Hugh Roberts, Architect. Restored and in use for Hudson County offices and courts.

Old Bergen Reformed Church
1 Highland Ave
Corner of Bergen Avenue
Greek Revival style built in 1842.

Grace Van Vorst Church
Corner of Second and Erie Streets
Detlef Lienau, architect
Early English Gothic style. Built in two stages: 1853 and 1864.

Jersey City Public Library
472 Jersey Avenue
Corner of Jersey avenue and Montgomery Street
Brite & Bacon, architects. Completed in 1901

City Hall of the City of Jersey City
280 Grove Street
Lewis Broome, architect. Completed in 1896

 

 

 

Copyright © 2006 Denise Wells for the NJGenWeb Project
Copyright © 2003-2005 Peggy Tebbetts for the NJGenWeb Project