Written By William Smith Gallaway - Approved February 13, 1869
Methodist preaching was first established in the neighborhood of Everittstown by the Reverend Manning Force at the house of Brother Stephen Hull's near Mt. Pleasant, and at Brother Amos Opdyke's near Everittstown about sixty years ago.
The oldest class book to which we have had access, informs us that in 1817 Reverend George Bangheart and Reverend Richard W. Petherbridge were preachers in charge of the circuit; William Smith (Leader); Jeremiah Matthews (Assistant Leader and Steward) with twenty members. They held meetings at Brother Stephen Hull's. Shortly after, a class was formed with Brother Amos Opdyke (Leader), met at Brother Amos Opdyke's. While Brothers Manning Force and George Bangheart had charge of the circuit, they were blessed with a powerful revival. Services were held in the Everittstown Tavern.
In 1825 under the pastoral care of Benjamin Collins, a church was built at Everittstown, of which the original trustees were: Amos Opdyke (Leader and Exhorter), Samuel Bellis, Uriah Bellis, Rhuben Lee and Isaac Heartpense. As they were obliged to withstand strong opposition from the Presbyterians, it was with considerable difficulty they procured a lot. The lot, which they obtained of Samuel Case by the payment of forty dollars, was of swampy nature and considered very undesirable for building purposes. With great labor and considerable expense, it has been kept in a condition to answer the purpose.
At the time they commenced the church, the little band of Methodists were ready to surmount all difficulties, feeling that "The Lord was for them, and He was more than all the world that could be against them". With between five and six hundred dollars pledged, they began to build. The first year they enclosed and filled in the building, but were not able to plaster the walls or complete the interior arrangements. But with true Methodistic zeal, they worshipped in the unfinished building and completed it as money could be obtained. The Lord cooperated in their labors and answered their prayers to the conversion of many souls, the extension of His cause and the gradual removing of prejudice. That at the present time, Methodism occupies a prominent and enviable position in the community.
The name of the appointment has been changed several times, having been connected with three different conferences, (viz. Philadelphia, New Jersey and Newark). The regular succession of pastors since the Church was built are as follows:
|1825||Asbury||Benjamin Collins, Isaac Winner|
|1826||Asbury||Isaac Winner, Anthony Atwood|
|1827/28||Asbury||John Finley, John K. Shaw|
|1829||Asbury||William H. Wiggins|
|1830||Asbury||William H. Wiggins, Abram Gearheart|
|1831||Easton||Pharoh Ogden, Francis A. Morrel|
|1832||Kingwood||Joseph McCool, A. K. Street|
|1835||Asbury||Abram Gearheart, B. N. Reed|
|1836||Asbury||Abram Gearheart, Richard Lanning|
|1837||Flemington, NJ, Conference||
|1838||Flemington, NJ, Conference||Jacob Heavener, James M. Tuttle|
|1839||Flemington, NJ, Conference||James M. Tuttle, L. R. Dunn|
|1840||Flemington, NJ, Conference||William Hanley, James White|
|1841||Quakertown||A. K. Street|
|1843||Quakertown and Everittstown||Zerubbabel Gaskill|
|1844||Frenchtown and Everittstown||Zerubbabel Gaskill|
|1845/46||Frenchtown and Everittstown||Abram M. Palmer|
|1847/48||Quakertown and Everittstown||Thomas T. Campfield|
|1849/50||Quakertown and Everittstown||D. W. Decker|
|1851||Quakertown and Everittstown||Rodney Winans, Jacob Horner|
|1852||Quakertown and Everittstown||Rodney Winans|
|1853||Quakertown and Everittstown||Curtis Talley|
|1854/55||Quakertown and Everittstown||J. J. Sleeper|
|1856||Quakertown and Everittstown||W. W. Christine|
|1857||Newark Conference||W. W. Christine|
|1858/59||Quakertown and Everittstown||John S. Coit|
|1860||Quakertown, Everittstown and Litte York||W. W. Voorhes, C. P. DeCamp|
|1861||Quakertown, Everittstown and Litte York||W. W. Voorhes|
|1862/63||Quakertown, Everittstown and Litte York||J. P. Dailey|
|1864||Frenchtown and Everittstown||William E. Blakesley|
|1865/66||Frenchtown and Everittstown||Henry J. Hayter|
|1867/68||Everittstown, Little York and Pattenburgh||William Smith Gallaway|
In the years 1843 and 1844 while Zerubbabel Gaskill was pastor, the temperance question was much agitated. He brought the subject up in the Church and lectured upon it, but met with much opposition. Some of the members of the Church spoke unfavorably of the proceedings, and locked the Church door so as to prevent the pastor from entering and lecturing upon the subject. Such actions encouraged the outsiders to such an extent that they gathered in crowds outside the Church, hooted, made bonfires, threw rotten eggs and in many other ways manifested their hostility to temperance and its advocates. But the firm stand taken by the pastor and a few faithful friends of the cause has, through the blessings of God, had its effect. So that now, there are none in the Church who have a disposition to oppose temperance, and none outside who dare offensively manifest their disapprobation.
During the pastorate of Reverend T. T. Campfield, the Church was blessed with a remarkable revival resulting in the conversion of over sixty souls.
In 1856 through the efforst of W. W. Christine, the Church was re-roofed and otherwise repaired at an expense of over one hundred dollars. In the same year, over seventy souls were converted and the Church much built up.
While Brother John S. Coit was pastor, through his perservering efforts, the graveyard adjoining the Church was graded, a stone wall built along the back part, a neat fence in front and the yard otherwise improved at a cost of over three hundred dollars.
Each year, souls have been converted. Many have died triumphantly in Christ. The Church has steadily advanced and now has one hundred sixty members, and a Sunday school numbering one hundred forty-eight.
Unity and brotherly love prevails.
|1869||Everittstown and Little York||Amos H. Belles|
|1870||Everittstown and Little York||J. R. Stratton|
|1871/72||Everittstown, Little York and Milford||William H. Ruth|
|1873||Everittstown, Little York and Milford||William H. McBride|
|1874-76||Everittstown and Little York||H. Bice|
|1876/77||Everittstown and Little York||James W. Hartpence|
|1877-79||Everittstown and Little York||A. G. Miller|
|1879||Everittstown and Little York||E. S. Jamison|
|1880||Everittstown, Little York and Milford||I. W. Cole|
|1881/82||Everittstown and Little York||J. Tindall|
|1883/84||Everittstown and Mount Salem||Addis Albro|
In the year 1881 the congregation was, as they had been for the past twelve years, still agitating the question of erecting a new meeting house. At one of the official meetings held early in the session, pastor J. Tindall suggested to the trustees that they have a committee appointed, and have them associated with themselves, to take the whole affair of Church building into consideration. That suggestion was received with favor, and the quarterly conference following, being the first quarterly conference held for the year, held in Everittstown.
The following brethren were appointed as the committee; John B. Opdyke, Ezra Leonard, Samuel Hoff, George Leonard, Mahlon Rittenhouse and Jacob H. Hoff. Brother John B. Opdyke refused to serve. The other five accepted the situation. Shortly afterwards, a meeting was called of the committee, above named, and the board of trustees; viz., Nathan Seals, John F. Case, Samuel Stout, Isaac B. Manning, Hiram W. Cronce, Thomas Cronce and Isaac J. Snyder. The whole twelve were present - seven trustees and five of the committee. The pastor occupied the chair. The first raised was "Do we need a new Church?". That was answered unanimously in the affirmation by a rising vote. The second question raised, "Shall we attempt this year?". That also was answered in the same way, all rising. It was also decided at the same meeting that three thousand dollars must be pledged before we begin to build. It was also decided at that meeting to rebuild on the old site.
At a subsequent meeting held in the old Church, the question of site was reconsidered, and it was decided to purchase the lot on which the Church now stands of Baltis Pickel. Accordingly, a committee was appointed for that purpose, and the lot bought of Elizabeth Pickel for the sum of one hundred and fifty dollars. Lumber was ordered, and the building was commenced after harvest. Work was continued in the Winter of 1881/82 until the building was enclosed. The cornerstone of the new building was laid on Saturday, September 17th, 1881 by Reverend [illegible text], Reverend C. E. Walton and the pastor. The lecture room was opened for divine worship on Sabbath, June 4th. Preaching at 10:30AM and 7:00PM by Reverend S. Vanbenschoten of Passaic, New Jersey. At this writing (March 23, 1883) about four thosand and two hundred dollars have been expended on the building. The indebtedness is about one hundred eight dollars, and that amount is pledged.