Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Morristown, NJ Chapter
|
|
|
|
|
|
Links


THE SCHUYLER - HAMILTON HOUSE

Schuyler-Hamilton House

 

 

 

The Schuyler-Hamilton House, also known as the Jabez Campfield House, was built in 1760 on the eastern edge of the small village of Morristown, N. J.

In 1765 it was purchased by a young doctor from Newark. He and his bride, Sarah Ward, lived in the house for fifty six years. Here their only child, William, was born. He too graduated as a doctor from Princeton and practiced in Morristown. The family lived in this attractive four bedroom, Georgian style house until 1821.

 

 

Dr. Jabez Campfield served as a surgeon during the Revolutionary War. Following the war he became a prominent community leader serving as the first Morris County Surrogate, the founder of the first lending library, a Justice of the Peace and engaged in many other notable activities.


During the winter of 1779-80 Dr. Campfield's house served as the home for Dr. John Cochran, who was assigned to General Washington. Dr. Cochran's wife was the sister of General Philip Schuyler. Mrs Cochran knew her niece, Elizabeth (Betsy) Schuyler, had met Alexander Hamilton during the summer of 1779 and she had been very impressed by him. Therefore, when Mrs. Cochran became aware that Alexander Hamilton was stationed at General Washington's Headquarters, which were located only a short quarter of a mile east of the of the Campfield house, she invited Elizabeth to spend the winter with her


Morristown DAR Plaque Schuyler-Hamilton House


Ladies of the Morristown DAR offer tours of Schuyler- Hamilton House each week during our open hours to small drop in groups. 
If you want to visit with a
GROUP OF TEN OR MORE, please arrange for a special tour at
tel: 973-267-4039

1:00-4:00 every Sunday except the first Sunday of the month October through April

The price is $5 for adults and $2.50 children under 12

Please check the Schuyler-Hamilton House Facebook page for any closings, or special events

 

 


Historic Marker

 


Very quickly Alex and Betsy began courting, often in the Campfield House. By April they had reached an "understanding." They were married in Albany, NY at Betsy's home in December 1780.

This Colonial House was bought by the Morristown Chapter of the DAR in 1923. The membership decided to name their new Chapter House in honor of Betsy and Alexander, hence the name Schuyler-Hamilton House.

 

Morristown DAR

5 Olyphant Place, Morristown, NJ 07960  Phone: tel: 973-267-4039
 webmaster: webmaster.morristown.dar@gmail.com

26 November 2016

Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

 

Join us at Schuyler-Hamilton House on Saturday this weekend for Holly Walk in Morristown from 11:00 to 4:00 on Saturday December 3rd Discount tickets are available if ordered early at
Morris County Tourism
(973-631-5151
)
There will be a special guest, Elizabeth Cobbs, the author of the new Hamilton Novel about his loves,
"The Hamilton Affair" selling and signing her book.
This offering is a unique way to celebrate the engagement of Hamilton right in
'the room where it happened'.
The museum will be closed to visitors on Sunday December 4th