Dr. Jabez Campfield served as a surgeon during the Revolutionary War. Following the war he became a prominent community leader serving as the first Morris County Surrogate, the founder of the first lending library, a Justice of the Peace and engaged in many other notable activities.
During the winter of 1779-80 Dr. Campfield's house served as the home for Dr. John Cochran, who was assigned to General Washington. Dr. Cochran's wife was the sister of General Philip Schuyler. Mrs Cochran knew her niece, Elizabeth (Betsy) Schuyler, had met Alexander Hamilton during the summer of 1779 and she had been very impressed by him. Therefore, when Mrs. Cochran became aware that Alexander Hamilton was stationed at General Washington's Headquarters, which were located only a short quarter of a mile east of the of the Campfield house, she invited Elizabeth to spend the winter with her.
Very quickly Alex and Betsy began courting, often in the Campfield House. By April they had reached an "understanding." They were married in Albany, NY at Betsy's home in December 1780.
This Colonial House was bought by the Morristown Chapter of the DAR in 1923. The membership decided to name their new Chapter House in honor of Betsy and Alexander, hence the name Schuyler- Hamilton House.
Ladies of the Morristown DAR offer tours of Schuyler-Hamilton House each week during our open hours to small drop in groups.