These Pages May NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent MCGS.
OLD SCOTS BURYING GROUND
The individual burial information was compiled from three sources:
(1) A survey of grave makers done by the Rev. Frank R. Symmes, ca. 1890 and reported in his book “History of the Old Tennent Church” Appendix pages 260-263 (1904).
(2) Research in 2001 done by the Battlefield Restoration and Archaeological Volunteer Organization (BRAVO) using metal detectors and ground penetrating radar to develop support material for a National Register of Historical Sites application.
(3) A Boy Scout project for Eagle Scout status comprised of a survey and coding of existing marked graves in 2003.
The above findings have been organized in two ways to show individual burial locations identified in 2001 and 2003 and secondly, persons identified in 1890 but the location lost over decades. The survey map with blank boxes indicates a burial location of an unknown person. The code numbers on the name listing corresponds to the map location. Numbered aluminum caps were placed on each grave by the Boy Scouts for future identification.
Old Scots Burying Ground, located along Gordon’s Corner Road between Wyncrest Road and County Route 520 in Marlboro Township,
Monmouth County, New Jersey, is a 1-acre site originally set aside as a
Presbyterian Meeting House and cemetery in the late seventeenth century. Early
county and congregation histories indicate that a meeting house was erected in
1692, with interments beginning soon after (Ellis 1885, Smith 1895, Symmes 1904). There are 144 gravestones that survive
representing at least 164 burials. Many
are in good to excellent condition with legible inscriptions. A mound-like elevation measuring
approximately thirty-feet square and 3.5 feet high supports a late-nineteenth-century
monument situated in the approximate center of the site. As a result of archaeological testing, this
mound is proven to be man-made. A number
of passes with GPR were made using existing gravestones as a starting point,
and continuing along lines oriented north/south where no gravestones were
present. The GPR survey of areas with no
existing gravestones identified an additional 144 possible burials,
approximately eight of which are within ten feet of Gordon’s
Reid, the deputy Surveyor-General of
WebSite Created: 1998