Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Middlesex Co., New Jersey
Genealogy and History

a small part of the NJGENWEB and USGENWEB Projects


EDISON TIME LINE


• 1651 A large track of land from the Raritan River to the Passaic, including what is now Edison Township, was deeded by the Dutch King to Augustine Herrmanns, a Dutch settler.
• 1689 First School established in Oak Tree Section.
• 1689 Stelton Baptist Church formed in spring.
• 1693 'Mary Jones' is buried - the oldest marked grave in Middlesex County.
• 1724 St. James Episcopal Church built (used as a British barracks and hospital during the Revolutionary War).
• 1732 Col. John Dunham Estate built.
• 1777 The Revoltionary War Battle of the Short Hills/Oak Tree Engagement took place in Edison on June 26
• 1778 George Washington, Alexander Hamilton and some of their troops ate a breakfast in the Dunham Estate home.
• 1789 Old Post Road, the earliest public road in eastern New Jersey, is used by George Washington as he traveled through the state to his inauguration in New York City.
• 1795 Raritan Bridge (now known as the Albany Street Bridge on Route 27) built.
• 1830 Forman Martin Home built.
• 1835 St. James Episcopal Church destroyed by a tornado. Rebuilt by Joseph Foulke, using as much of the original fittings and fixtures as possible.
• 1849 New Dover United Methodist Church founded.
• 1870 Raritan Independent begins publication.
• 1870 The township, formed from parts of Woodbridge and Piscataway townships was incorporated originally as "Raritan Township" in March.
• 1875 Bonhamtown Grace Reformed Church is built. 
• 1876 Thomas Alva Edison established his Menlo Park laboratory. 
• 1879 Thomas Edison illuminates his 45-acre laboratory site with his incandescent lamps.
• 1881 Clara Barton (and friends) formed the American Association of the Red Cross.
• 1887 The Yelencsics Homestead is built. Birthplace and family residence of Edison's longtime mayor, Anthony M. Yelencsics.
• 1900 Metuchen incorporates as a separate borough, leaving the Township.
• 1905 Highland Park incorporates as a separate borough, leaving the Township.
• 1908 Bonhamtown School built.
• 1913 Piscatawaytown School built. Would become the first school in the township with a telephone.
• 1917 Edison's Fire Department is started.
• 1921 Clara Barton School opens.
• 1923 Stelton Elementary School (now the Stelton Community Center) built. The school is known to have been the first to provide a school lunch program.
• 1923 Edison Police Department formed with four men and a Model-T Ford.
• 1924 Raritan Engine Company No. 2 formed.
• 1925 H.K. Fire Company established.
• 1926 Oak Tree Fire Company founded.
• 1927 Edward E. Meeker becomes first official township mayor.
• 1927 The first public library in Raritan Township opens.
• 1933 Middlesex Junior College established.
• 1935 Roosevelt Hospital opens.
• 1935 Raritan Township Safety Council formed.
• 1936 Second First Aid Squad (now known as Edison First Aid Squad No. 2) formed.
• 1937 The Edison Memorial Tower was erected to commemorate the years Edison spent at Menlo Park.
• 1941 Menlo Park Volunteer Fire Company built a new firehouse.
• 1941 Middlesex Junior College closed.
• 1951 Clara Barton First Aid Squad formed.
• 1954 Citizens propose a name change from Raritan Township-The name the voters selected was Edison.
• 1955 Raritan Township Safety Council renamed to Edison First Aid and Rescue Squad No. 1.
• 1956 Thomas A. Edison High School opened (township's first public high school).
• 1958 Groundbreaking ceremony for the Edison Post Office.
• 1960 "Edison Times" published in Edison.
• 1964 John P. Stevens, Edison's second public high school, opened.
• 1965 Raritan Arsenal sold to Frank and Vincent Visceglia, and Raritan Center was formed.
• 1966 Middlesex County College opens.
• 1967 John F. Kennedy Medical Center established.
• 1970 Exit 10 on the New Jersey Turnpike opened.
• 1979 Metuchen-Edison Review began publication.
• 1981 Township's current Municipal Complex dedicated.
• 1982 Clara Barton School Closed.
• 1982 Stelton School Closed.
• 1983 Edison Township Historical Society formed.

 



***From http://www.edisonnj.org