Deed Abstracts
Morris County, New Jersey

Morris Co. Up


Abstract of Deeds from Morris County Courthouse

Transcribed July 2004 by janvanderhoeven@btinternet.com

Part A                                                         Deeds Relating to John and Leah Westervelt

1 May 1798 (Lib R Fo 409)

Thomas Doremus and Rachel his wife of Pequannock Morris Co to John Westervelt of Franklin, Bergen Co

For 350 pounds current money of the state of New York, a parcel of land in Pequannock Twp, being part of a tract of 216 acres which Frederick Miller purchased from William Allen and Edward Shippen by deed of 30 March 1768.

Beginning in the middle of the Rockaway River at the northwest corner of Joseph Scott's plantation and the southeast corner of Adam Miller's plantation. Then,

  1. Running along said Miller's line North 46.30 west 52.50ch to Miller's corner on the outside line of a large tract released to George Budd on record at Burlington.
  2. South 44.00 west 15.50ch to Michael Cook's corner.
  3. South 49. east 55.24ch partly by Cook's land to Rockaway River
  4. Down middle of river to beginning.

Containing 81.82 acres

Also a tract of land in Pequannock which Frederick Miller purchased of Michael Cook by deed of 25 June 1773. Beginning at the west side of the Rockaway river in the line of John Miller then along his line

  1. North 51.00 west 13.26ch to the road.
  2. Along the road north 35.00 east 14.60ch to a line of the above described tract
  3. Along the same line south 50.00 east 16.50ch to the river.
  4. Up the stream to the place beginning

Containing 22 acres. Both tracts to contain 103.82 acres (more or less)

Thomas and Rachel both signed.
Witnessed by Jacob Miller and John Salter


28 August 1806 (Lib G Fo 333)

John C. Westervelt and Leah, his wife of Pequannock to Peter Hyler of the same place. For 76.40 dollars

Part of a tract of land on which John Westervelt now lives and was bought from Thomas and Rachel Doremus by deed dated 1 May 1798 containing 81.82 acres. Beginning at a white oak sapling, the second corner of the whole lot being the north-west corner of Thomas Hames (formerly Adam Miller, des) then

  1. By land of Benj. Beach south 42.15 west 15.50ch to Michael Cook's corner
  2. South 50.45 east 10.00ch to a heap of stones near the top of a hill
  3. North 42.15 east 15.06ch to a corner of Thomas Hames' land
  4. North 48.15 west 10.00 to the place beginning.

Containing 15.82 acres

John Westervelt signs, Lea Westervelt marks.
Witnessed by Martin Hyler and Silas Hyler.


8 April 1809 (Lib R Fo 412)

John C Westervelt and Leah his wife of Pequannock John Scott of Hanover. For 625.00 dollars, being the farm on which John Westervelt now lives.

Beginning in the middle of the Rockaway River at the northwest corner of Joseph Scott's land the most southerly corner of Benjamin Stockman's plantation (formerly Adam Miller's). Then,

  1. Running along said Miller's line North 48.30 west 42.83ch to a corner of a lot of 15 acres formerly sold by John Westervelt to Peter Hyler
  2. South 42.00 west 15.50ch to David Peer's land
  3. South 51.00 east 25.70ch
  4. South 33.30 west 14.60ch along the road to a corner of the road in a line recently purchased by John M Hyler from John D Terhune
  5. South 52.30 east 14.20 by lands of John M Hyler and Simon Cook to the middle of the Rockaway River
  6. Down middle of river to beginning.

Containing 89 acres. The above tract was conveyed to John Westervelt by Thomas Doremus and Rachel his wife by deed of 1 May 1798 and is part of a tract of 216 acres which Frederick Miller bought from William Allen and Edward Shippen 30 March 1768, and part of a tract bought by Frederick Miller from Michael Cook on 25 September(sic) 1773.

John Westervelt Signs, Leah Westervelt marks.
Witnessed by Robert Murphy and David Westervelt


Part B                             Deeds Relating to Martin and Margaret Vanderhoof

4 November 1801 (Lib H Fo 4)

John Sanderson of Bergen County to Martin Vanderhoof of Pequannock Twp.

For 62.50 dollars a parcel of land released to John Sanderson by Barney Sanderson and Thomas Sanderson by conveyance dated 14 June 1800. Situated mile south of the dwelling house of John Taylor. Bounded as follows

Beginning third corner of a lot of land now possessed by Peter Francisco at an elm sapling standing on the north bank of Stony Brook then running north 39.00 west 1.50ch.

  1. South 44.15 west 11.25ch
  2. South 39.00 east 8.50ch
  3. North 39.30 east 11.25ch to a hickory sapling
  4. North 39.00 west 6.00ch to the place beginning.

9 acres strict measure

John Sanderson Marked
Witnessed by Thomas and Mary Van Winkle


19 April 1804 (Lib J Fo 294)

John C Salter and Beulah his wife of Pequannock Twp. to Martin Vanderhoof of the same place.

For 120 dollars, a parcel of land in Twp. Of Pequannock formerly bought from Samuel Stiles bounded as follows

Beginning at the middle of road from John Salter's to Horseneck Bridge where the road that leads to John Stiles comes in at a corner of a lot of land belonging to the Boonton Parish, then

  1. Along the first mentioned road North 86.30 East for 6.10ch to Henry Massacar's land
  2. South for 9.00ch to corner of Cornelius Doremus' line
  3. South 86.00 West for 5.64ch to the road
  4. Along the road North 27.00 West for 2.34 ch
  5. North 4.00 East 7.77ch to the place beginning.

Containing 6.05 acres excepting 0.02 of an acre at the northwest corner reserved to set a school house on.

John and Beulah Salter both sign
Witnessed by Thomas Van Winkle and Leonard Davenport

Schoolhouse referred to in http://www.montville-township.org/about/history.shtml


10 February 1806 (Lib N Fo 23)

Martin Vanderhoof and Margaret his wife of Pequannock Twp. to Samuel Price of the same place

For 150 dollars a parcel of land in Twp of Pequannock formerly bought from John C Salter and his wife.

Beginning at the middle of road from John Salter's to Horseneck Bridge where the road that leads to John Stiles comes in at a corner of a lot of land formerly belonging to the Boonton Parish.

  1. Along the first mentioned road North 86.30 East for 6.10ch to Henry Massacar's land
  2. South for 9.00ch to corner of Cornelius Doremus' line
  3. South 86.00 West for 5.64ch to the road
  4. Along the road north 27.00 west for 2.34ch
  5. North 4.00 east 7.77ch to the place beginning.

Containing 6.05 acres. (no mention of school house)

Martin and Margaret Vanderhoof both marked
Witnessed by Wm W Farlane Nicholas Hyler


Part C                                         Other Vanderhoof Families

10 March 1806 (Liber M :221)

Thomas Crane of Peq to Peter and Jacob Vanderhoof of Peq

225 Dollars. 76.68 acres. Part of tract returned to William Penn May 12 175? Recorded in Burlington Book B Fo 30

Corner of land granted to Jacob Demouth by Lemuel Cobb 1798... along Demouth's line....land of Capt Bedford and Company granted 1793...corner of land conveyed to Thomas Crane by Frederick Hopler October 1804


5 November 1805 (Liber L:472)

Peter Vanderhoof of Peq. To Jacob Vanderhoof of Peq.

173.14 dollars. 86.57 acres.

Land on both sides of John Parliaman's Sawmill Brook being part of tract of 165.53 acres areturned to Lemuel Cobb 24 June 1805 recorded in Surveyor General's Book at Perth Amboy S15 Page 41.

John Parleman's corner to outside line of Penn's tract... north corner of Demouth purchase from Penn's agents about 1756...to land of Peter Vanderhoof granted by Lemuel Cobb 4 Nov 1805.

Peter Vanderhoof Marks
Wit Lemuel Cobb, Benj Howell.


5 May 1807 Liber O:220

Jacob and Deborah Demouth of Peq. to Cornelius Vanderhoof of Peq.

180 dollars. 30 acres

Part of tract conveyed to Jacob Demouth by Lemuel Cobb 1 March 1798 containing 100 acres.

John Van Ripers land...Jacob Vanderhoof's land....

Jacob Demouth signed, Deborah marked.
Witnessed by Thomas Knight John Van Riper

 

 

Copyright 1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.