The following is a brief history of the First Methodist Church, Dover, NJ.
Church History Highlights
|August 17, 17_6||Bishop Francis J. Asbury preached in Dover, "where we had many people at short warning."|
|1778||Preaching services were first held in Chester by Circuit Riders, first at the Lawrence House, and then at a stone barn, and finally at an old school house in Millbrook a few hundred yards south of the present Millbrook Methodist Church.|
|July 14, 1838||The Board of Trustees of First Methodist Church in Dover was organized. A church was erected for $1400 where Grace Church now stands on McFarlan Street.|
|1872||A lot was purchased at the corner of Blackwell and Essex streets. On this lot a Chapel was erected with the cornerstone laying in 1872, present site of the Sunday School building.|
|1887||A parsonage was built next door to the chapel, but on Blackwell Street.|
|1907||During the pastorate of Rev. A.P. Richardson the present Sanctuary was erected at an approximate cost of $32000.|
|1924||During the pastorate of Dr. John G. Lytle the Sunday School building was extended and enlarged, and a well-equipped kitchen installed.|
|1933 - 1940||During the pastorate of the Rev. Gustave A. Stark, present Pastor-Emeritus, the Church grew and paid off financial obligations, though the Depression was upon us. In 1938 the 100th Anniversary was impressively observed.|
|1960||During the pastorate of Rev. Lawrence H. Richards, a three point Expansion and Building Plan was approved under the leadership of Col. John P. Harris, Chairman:|
- To erect a new Parsonage, which has been done.
- To purchase the store next to the Church House for future removal for building expansion, which has been done.
- To plan a renovation program of the present Sunday School building, to be tied in with a new building fronting on Blackwell Street.
|1963||The New Building Expansion Committee Officers|
Chairman: Byron Cody
Ass't Chairman: Duane Miller and Dennis King
This information was taken from a microfilm of the Fist Methodist Church books. This microfilm can be found at the Joint Free Public Library of Morristown and Morris Township, Morristown, N.J.