I have, in my research, often found it extremely helpful to know what books have been written about the area that I am researching. This is a list of some of the books that I have found that pertain to Morris County and its people. If you know of a book that is not listed here and you think that it should be, send me an email and I'll add it.
Places where books about Morris County can be purchased. I am in the process of compiling this list only as a resource to Morris County researchers. (Please note that I have no connection with any of the businesses listed here.) If you know of other book sellers that have books about Morris County that should be added to the list please send me an email and I will add them.
- Ray and Judy's Book Stop - 40 W Main Street, Rockaway, NJ - 973-586-9182
- Barnes & Noble Booksellers - numerous locations, check their website
- Old Book Shop - 4 John Street, Morristown, NJ - 973-538-1210 (used & rare books)
Listing Of Books
- Archives and Historical Sketch, Morris County. Morristown, NJ:
Board of Chosen Freeholders, 1937
- Augelli, Vincent A. Nineteenth century veterans buried in the Whippany cemetery, Hanover Township, New Jersey
/prepared by Vincent A. Augelli., 1987.
- Barton, William Eleazar, 1861- Lieutenant William Barton of Morris County, New Jersey, and his descendants. Oak Park, Ill., Vaile press, 1900.
- Bell, Raymond Martin, 1907- The family of Anthony Trimmer, Sr., who died 1754 in Roxbury Township, Morris County, New Jersey
[microform] / by Raymond Martin Bell. Washington, Penn., 1954.
- The Boonton Years, 1867 to 1967. New Jersey: s.n., 1967?
- Brown, Hector H. Berkshire Valley Presbyterian Church Cemetery 1971
- Brown, Virginia Alleman. Abstracts of partitions and divisions of Morris County estates filed at Morristown, New Jersey, 1785-1907
/ abstracted by Virginia Alleman Brown. Washington, N.J. (206 R.D. #1, Washington 07882) : Genealogical Researchers, 1984
- Casterline, Greg. Prosperity & misfortune : an historical sketch of the Atno/Casterline family on the Morris Canal in Rockaway, Morris County, New Jersey
/ Greg Casterline. [Belvidere, N.J.], 1999
- Centennial Collections of Morris County, 1776-1876. New Jersey:
- Chambers, Theodore Frelinghuysen.
The early Germans of New Jersey; Dover, N.J., Dover printing company, 1895
[Book on-line - offsite link]
- Civil War soldiers buried in Evergreen Cemetery. [1996?] Gift of Kemper Chambers.
- Cooper, Arthur E. (Arthur Erwin), 1848- Descendants of Daniel Cooper and Grace Runyon, Long Hill, Morris County, New Jersey. Collated by Arthur E. Cooper ... Cooper's Plains, N.Y. 
- Coulthard, George H. Mount Sinai Hebrew Cemetery, Randolph Township, NJ
/ compiled by George Coulthard. 1996. Photocopy of ms. list of veterans buried in the cemetery.
- Crayon, J. Percy (Joseph Percy), 1841-
Rockaway records of Morris County, N.J., families: cemetery records, church history, military records, local history, genealogies of old families, nearly 20,000 data
/ by J. Percy Crayon. Rockaway, N.J.: Rockaway Pub. Co., 1902.
[Book transcribed and on-line]
- Dickinson, Wharton, 1849-1933. Manuscript record of the Dickinson family of the counties of York, Norfolk and Suffolk, Old England, Salem, Mass., Southold, Suffolk County, L.I., and Essex and Morris Counties, New Jersey
[microform] / compiled for Charles Wesley Dickinson of Newark, New Jersey by Wharton Dickinson. New York : [s.n.], 1899.
- DiGennaro, Irene Anderson. Original cemetery (1848-1877), St. Mary's Catholic Church, corner Route 46 & Drake Avenue, Dover, Morris County, New Jersey 07801
/ compiled by Irene Anderson DiGennaro and Nan Griffin Stafford. [Wharton, NJ] (80 Garden Ave., Wharton 07885) : I.A. DiGennaro, [c1982]
- Doremus, George S. Mott. The American Revolution and Morris County:
Place and Influence of the County in the Great American Struggle.
Rockaway, NJ: Record Print, 1926.
- Engle, Caroline Kirkham (Dayton), 100 years, Saint John's Parish in Dover, New Jersey, 1849-1949. [Dover] 1949.
- Eppler, Mary Elinor. Behold and see, as you pass by [microform] : epitaphs in the old cemetery, 1787-1924, of the First Presbyterian Church of Sparta
/ Mary Elinor Eppler. Sparta, N.J. : M.E. Eppler, 1976
- Evergreen Cemetery (Morristown, N.J.) County burials, Section 43C. Caption title. Photocopy from record book of county burials, Section 43C, listing death dates 4/25/1953 to 6/10/1966
- First Presbyterian Church (Rockaway, N.J.). Records of the First Presbyterian Church of Rockaway, N.J., 1793- 1974 [microform] [S. l. : s. n.], 1793-1974
- Gill, Mildred Lawrence. Denville Days: A History of Denville
Township, County of Morris, State of New Jersey, 1660-1955. Denville,
NJ: The Board of Education, Township of Denville, New Jersey, 1955.
- Greenidge, Frances. Chester, New Jersey, a scrapbook of history, 1713-1971. Chester, N.J., Chester Historical Society 
- Greenwood cemetery, Boonton, New Jersey, 1872-1965 [Boonton, N.J. : Greenwood Cemetery, 1965?]. Record of interments in Greenwood Cemetery, Boonton, New Jersey, 1872-1965.
- Guerrero, Phyllis. Succasunna, NJ : [First Presbyterian Church], 2000.
Cemetery records of the First Presbyterian Church of Succasunna, N.J., 1767-2000
/ [compiled by Phyllis Guerrero]
- Hart, Ernest M. Index to names mentioned in the History of Morris County, New Jersey, published by W. Munsell & Co., 1882
/ Ernest M. Hart. New Brunswick : Genealogical Society of New Jersey, 1978.
- Hoff family records : including Ford? Tuttle and Beach families of Hunterdon and Morris Counties, New Jersey
/ presented by the Genealogical Records and Historical Research Committee of the Nova Caesarea Chapter. 1935
- Honeyman, Van Doran A. Northwestern New Jersey: a
History of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex Counties. New
York: Lewis Hist. Pub. Co., 1927.
- Hoskins, Barbara. Men from Morris County, New Jersey, who served in the American Revolution
/ compiled by Barbara Hoskins. Morristown, N.Y. : Friends of the Joint Free Public Library of Morristown and Morris Township, c1979.
- Hoskins, Barbara. Washington Valley; an informal history, Morris County, New Jersey, by Barbara Hoskins [and others. Ann Arbor, Mich. Edwards Brothers] 1960.
- Illig, Ron, Illig, Bob, Denville Cemetery, 1776-1995., [New Jersey? : s.n., 1995], Title from caption. "These records include records from Rockaway Township and Rockaway Boro copied by Ron and Bob Illig, by [sic] records in Bob Illig's notebooks on the Denville Cemetery ..., by [sic] records from NDHFS booklet, County Records (Surrogate Office), and a few informal requests for information by relatives prior to Norman Dean's ownership ; by [sic] death certificates (pre-natal) in NDHFS and deeds."
- Index to Morris County history, 1881-1892 : a monthly synopsis of local events compiled from the newspaper The Dover iron era / a project of the Morris Area Genealogy Society Indexing Group. Morristown, N.J., 1998
- Irwin, Richard T. American loyalists in Morris County : persons defending government from the protest, revolution, and war leading toward an American independence in colonial New Jersey
/ by Richard T. Irwin. Madison, N.J. : Morris County Chapter, Historiographers of New Jersey, 1996
- Irwin, Richard T. Early Quaker meetings in Morris County / Richard T. Irwin. [S.l. : s.n.] 1977
- Irwin, Richard T., Time effaces all epitaphs graven in stone / by Richard T. Irwin and Richard G. Irwin., [Randolph, N.J. : The Township, 1993.], Typescript (photocopy) Genealogical records and transcribed copies of inscriptions located at the Friends cemetery site along Quaker Church Rd. in Randolph N.J., Friends Meeting House & Cemetery Association of Randolph Township.
- Kelly-Bly, Brianne: Index to Rockaway Borough—A History, Dover NJ, 1999
- Kelly-Bly, Brianne. Genealogical index to Bill of mortality, 1768-1806
: being a register of all deaths which occurred in the Presbyterian and Baptist congregations of Morris-town, New Jersey / indexed by Brianne Kelly-Bly. 1997.
- Kelly-Bly, Brianne. Index for Biographical and genealogical history of Morris County, New Jersey, volume I & II / compiled by Brianne Kelly-Bly. 2002.
- Kelly-Bly, Brianne. Index to A history of Morris County, New Jersey, embracing upwards of two centuries, 1710-1913, volume II
/ by Brianne Kelly-Bly. 2001.
- Kelly-Bly, Brianne. Index to
Rockaway Borough A History
/ by Brianne Kelly-Bly. 1999. (On-Line)
- Kelly-Bly, Brianne. Transcription of the tombstones and monuments found at the Orchard Street cemetery, Dover, Morris Co., New Jersey / by Brianne Kelly-Bly. 2001.
- Kiddoo, Donald B. New life for northwest New Jersey's oldest cemetery : Whippany Cemetery on NJ Route 10 East, just east of Troy Hills Road
/ Donald B. Kiddoo. Hanover, N.J. : D.B. Kiddoo, 
- Kline, Anne Ford. The burials and history of the Fairmount Cemetery, Phillipsburg, Warren County, New Jersey
/ by Anne Ford Kline. Phillipsburg, NJ (721 Metz St., Phillipsburg, 08865-1615) : Phillipsburg Area Historical Society, 1997.
- Lewis Historical Publishing Co. A history of Morris County, New Jersey, embracing upwards of two centuries, 1710-1913 ... New York, Chicago, Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1914. Henry C. Pitney, Jr., supervising editor. Includes contributions by various writers. Vol. 2 includes biographical sketches.
- Lewis Publishing Co. Biographical and Genealogical History of Morris County New Jersey Illustrated,
New York, Chicago, Lewis Publishing Co., 1899.
- Mann, Jacob, The genius of liberty. Morris-Town [N.J.] : 1798- Vol. 1, no. 1 (May 24, 1798)- Ceased in 1806.
- Margeson, James E. Record of inscriptions, Walnut Grove Baptist Cemetery
/ James E. Margeson III. [New Jersey : J.E. Margeson], 1982
- Methodist Cemetery, Bernardsville, N.J. [microform] : 151 graves : typescript (photocopy) [1900?]
- Meyer, Lucy A., Kinnelon: A History, Where the Future is Enriched by the Past, Kinnelon Bicentennial Committee, Kinnelon, NJ 1976
- Mitros, David, Gone to wear the victor's crown: Morris County, New Jersey and the Civil War: a documentary account
/ compiled and edited by David Mitros. [Morristown, NJ] : Morris County Heritage Commission, c1998.
- Mitros, David, Slave Records of Morris County, New Jersey: 1756-1841, Morris County Heritage Commission, c1991.
- Montville Reformed Church (N.J.) Montville Reformed Church records, [1774-1928] [microform] [S. l. : s. n.], 1774-1928
- Morris Area Genealogy Society, Index to Record of interments, Greenwood Cemetery, Boonton, New Jersey, 1872-1965
/ a project of the Morris Area Genealogy Society Indexing Group. Morristown, N.J. : Morris Area Genealogy Society, 2000. Record of interments, Greenwood cemetery, Boonton, New Jersey, 1872-1965
- Munsell, W.W. & co.,
History of Morris County, New Jersey, 1739-1882 : with illustrations and biographical sketches of prominent citizens and pioneers. New York, W.W. Munsell & co., 1882.
- National Iron Bank of Morristown. Historic Morris County: An Informal
Story of Men and Events Beginning with the Discovery of Iron in the Colonial
Period. New Jersey: National Iron Bank of Morristown, 194?
- NJ: The Troop, 1998. Fredericks Cemetery : research and documentation / this project was undertaken by Girl Scout Troop 48 of the Morris Area Girl Scout Council. "Fredericks Cemetery located on Twin Lakes Road in Kinnelon, New Jersey. The documentation includes: histories of the families buried in this cemetery and their descendent charts where possible ; photos of the headstones and the inventory of all the markers found and identifiable"--Cover. Title from letter on cover.
- O'Brien, John., Warren County cemetery report : a complete listing of all county cemeteries
/ compiled by John O'Brien., "Cataloged by town/township and burial status, alphabetical order, and with all known inscription records"--title page
- Old cemetery of the First Presbyterian Church of Succasunna, N.J. [microform] Succasunna, N.J. : The Church, 1893-1991. Lists the burial records of the cemetery of the First Presbyterian Church of Succasunna, New Jersey, 1893-1991. Includes maps of the cemetery with grave stone locations, map of proposed subdivision, and separate listing of war veterans. Information from 1893-1920 taken from Stoddard family records; from 1920-1991 taken from church plot records.
- Parsippany Presbyterian Church (N.J.). Records of Parsippany Presbyterian Church, 1846-1900 [microform] [S. l. : s. n.], 1846-1900.
- Philhower, Charles A. Brief History of Chatham, Morris County,
New Jersey. New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1914.
- Platt, Charles D. (Charles David), 1856-1923. Dover dates, 1722-1922 : a bicentennial history of Dover, New Jersey , published in connection with Dover's two hundredth anniversary celebration under the direction of the Dover fire department, August 9, 10, 11, 1922 / Charles D. Platt, author and publisher. Dover, N. J. ; [c1922]
- Platt, Charles Davis, ed. Dover history, collected and ed. by Charles D. Platt... Dover, N.J., 
- Raser, Edward John. Morris County burial grounds inventory / prepared for the Morris County Historic Sites Committee by Edward J. Raser on behalf of the Genealogical Society of New Jersey. [Morristown, N.J. : Morris County Historic Sites Committee], 1975.
- Rockaway Borough—A History, Rockaway Borough Bicentennial Committee, Rockaway, NJ
- Schulz, Margaret J. An index for the Boonton weekly bulletin, April 1883-January 1925
/ by Margaret J. Schulz. Van Nuys, CA : M.J. Schulz, 1998
- Shepherd, Scott. The Presbyterian Church in Morristown, recognizing those who served in the American Revolution, now resting in the Church yard
/ by Scott Shepherd. [1999?]
- Snell, James P. History of Hunterdon and Somerset counties, New Jersey, with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers. Comp. by James P. Snell, assisted by Franklin Ellis and a numerous corps of writers. Philadelphia, Everts & Peck, 1881
- Snell, James P. History of Sussex and Warren Counties, New Jersey, with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers. Compiled by James P. Snell, assisted by Prof. W. W. Clayton and a numerous corps of writers. Philadelphia, Everts & Peck, 1881
- Stryker-Rodda, Harriet. Some early records of Morris County, New Jersey, 1740-1799
/ Harriet Stryker-Rodda, editor. New Orleans, La. : Polyanthos, 1975.
- Stryker-Rodda, Kenn. Morris County Court of General Quarter Sessions of the Peace record book, 1779-1795 : copies of certificates concerning Revolutionary War pensions for widows and invalids
/ abstracted by Kenn Stryker-Rodda, 1957; with editing and indexing by Linnea Foster. [Morristown, N.J. : Joint Free Public Library of Morristown and Morris Township], 1989. Typescript. Abstracted from the copy at New Jersey Historical Society manuscript collection, no. 529.
Tuttle, Joseph F. The Early History of Morris County,
New Jersey. Newark: Printed at the Daily Advertiser Office, 1870.
Tuttle, Joseph F. The Early
History of Presbyterianism in Morris County, NJ. United States: s.n.,
- Tuttle, Joseph F. Revolutionary Fragments, Morris County, New Jersey.
Morristown, NJ: Printed at "The Jerseyman" Office, 1896.
- Wheeler, William Ogden, 1837-1900. Inscriptions on the tomb stones and monuments in the grave yards at Whippany and Hanover, Morris County, N.J. [N.J. : W.O. Wheeler], 1894.
- Wright, Helen Martha, comp. History and records of the Methodist Episcopal church, Mendham, Morris county, New Jersey, [Jersey City, N.J.] The author [c1938]
- Wright, Helen Martha, comp. Mendham and neighboring townships, Morris county, New Jersey, [Jersey City] 1935. [Washington, 1936]
- Wright, Helen Martha. Early records of Mendham Township, Morris County, New Jersey
/ transcribed from county and township minute books. [Morristown, N.J.], 1964
- Wright, Helen Martha. Mendham cemeteries old and new, Morris County, New Jersey [microform] : with inscriptions from the First Presbyterian churchtard [sic.] and the Mendham Cemetery Association, 1747/8 through 1948
/ compiled and typed by Helen Martha Wright. Jersey City, N.J. : Wright, .
- Wright, Helen Martha. The First Presbyterian congregation, Mendham, Morris county, New Jersey; history and records, 1738-1938. [By] Helen Martha Wright. Jersey City, N.J., The author, 1939.
- Young, Edward Hudson. Our Young Family in America. (Details the Young family of Mendham and Pequannock, and their descendants)
- Youngs, Stephen, 1774-1867. Stephen Youngs day book, 1809-1814