Biographical and Genealogical History of Morris County New Jersey. Illustrated. Vol. II., Lewis Publishing Company, New York and Chicago, 1899.
Mr. LEWIS is a general farmer and dairyman, of Randolph township, and is descended from one of the old New England families that was founded in America by emigrants from England during an early epoch in the history of this country. His great-grandfather Edward, and his grandfather, David LEWIS, were both heroes of the Revolution, who fought for the independence of the colonies. The latter built what is known as the old LEWIS sawmill, the first in that part of Morris county. The father of our subject was Edward LEWIS, a native of Randolph township, born in 1793. He made farming his life occupation and was one of the leading agriculturists of the community. In his political views he was a Democrat and in religious faith was a Methodist. His death occurred in 1871. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Susan LEFEVER, was also a native of Randolph township, and died in 1864. Her father was James LEFEVER, one of the pioneer settlers of the community. By her marriage she had two sons, one of whom,
was reared on the old homestead belonging to his father and in the winter season was sent to the old Wolf school, where he acquired a fair knowledge of the English branches of learning. He continued under the parental roof until he had attained his majority, when he purchased the old homestead and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits on his own account. He was united in marriage to Miss Phoebe T. MERCHANT, of Randolph township, Morris county, the second daughter of Daniel P. and Eliza (CARY) MERCHANT. Her father was one of the honored pioneers of this county and did most of his farming and teaming with ox teams. He improved the farm which is now owned by our subject, who has here about two hundred acres of rich and arable land, all under a high, state of cultivation. Mr. Merchant died upon the old homestead in 1880, and his wife passed away in 1883, they having spent their last days with Mr. and Mrs. LEWIS. All who knew them held them in the highest regard and their friends were many.
In 1884 Mr. LEWIS purchased the old Merchant homestead, and now has one of the best improved farms in his section of the county. He has erected large barns for the shelter of his horses and cows, and for a number of years he has successfully engaged in the dairy business, which he follows with success, having a large patronage in Dover. He follows the most advanced and progressive methods in the management of his farm and dairy, and in addition he has upon the place a good fish pond which is fed by never failing springs. Mr. LEWIS is assisted in his work by his younger son,
In his political views Mr. LEWIS is a Democrat and has been honored with a number of local offices of trust, having served as township clerk, school trustee and treasurer of Randolph township, discharging his duties with marked fidelity and promptness. He and his family are members of the Mt. Freedom Presbyterian church, and are ever found on the side of all questions which tends toward the betterment of mankind.
This biography was scanned and contributed by Catherine Smith DeMayo.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2014
Copyright ©1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.