George H. Looker
Morris Co. Up


Biographical and Genealogical History of Morris County New Jersey. Illustrated. Vol. II., Lewis Publishing Company, New York and Chicago, 1899.

This well known citizen of Littleton, whose well developed and highly improved farm indicates the careful supervision and progressive spirit of the owner, was born near Morristown, on the 12th of August, 1824, and is descended from good old Revolutionary War stock, his grandfather, Eleazar Looker, having been one of the colonists whose valor and bravery secured to America her independence.. The father of our subject was Allen Looker, a native of Irvington, New Jersey. He followed the occupation of farming and married Miss Lydia Parson, a daughter of Robert Parson, whose name has since been changed to Pierson. Seven children were born to Mr. & Mrs. Looker, as follows: Samuel; Mary, who became the wife of Tunis Peer, of Boonton; Sylvester, Jacob, Allen, George Henry, and Aaron.

When a youth of fourteen years, Mr. Looker, of this review, became a resident of Littleton and in the primitive schools of the time acquired his educational training. He entered upon his business career as a farmer and during the greater part of his life has followed that pursuit, but for twenty years was engaged in the milk business. In 1848, he established a milk route in Morristown, being the first to engage in business there after the modern style of selling and distributing milk among the patrons. He today owns a valuable farm of one hundred and thirty-five acres, lying very near Morris plains, which he acquired as the result of his well directed energy and unceasing industry. He has made many excellent improvements thereon, in keeping with the progress of the age, and his labors have returned to him a golden tribute.

In April, 1848, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Looker and Miss Caroline H. Johnson, the daughter of Isaac and Eunice (Vail) Johnson, who for a half century has been his faithful companion and helpmeet on life's journey.

In politics, he has been a stanch Republican since the organization of the party, and his loyalty to all duties of citizenship has led to his selection for various offices. He served his township for fifteen years as commissioner of appeals and was postmaster of Littleton for several years. His residence in this village covers a period of sixty years, during which time he has not only witnessed the progress and advancement which has marked the county but has ever borne his part therein. His truest friends, by reason of his well spent and honorable life, are those which have known him from boyhood and who regard him highly on account of his many estimable qualities.

Transcribed by Christopher Cresta


This page was last modified on:  01 January, 2014

Copyright 1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.