Israel D. Lum
Morris Co. Up


Biographical and Genealogical History of Morris County New Jersey. Illustrated. Vol. I., Lewis Publishing Company, New York and Chicago, 1899.

Born at Cherry Hill, in Chatham township, Morris County, December 8, 1841, Israel D LUM is the eldest son of Charles LUM. His youth was passed on the old homestead and he early became familiar with the work of plowing, planting and harvesting. He continued under the parental roof until nineteen years of age, and in April, 1860, went to Newark, where he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed until the breaking out of the Civil war.

On the 7th of August, 1862, he joined Company C, Fifteenth New Jersey Infantry, and served with the Army of the Potomac, his regiment forming the Sixth Army Corps. With that command he participated in many important engagements, including the battle of Fredericksburg, Salem church, Gettysburg, Rappahannock Station, Mine Run, Wilderness and Spottsylvania, where he was wounded in the left hip joint, May 9, 1864. This disabled him for marching, and he was then put on detached service in the ammunition department, continuing in that capacity until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged, Jun 29, 1865. The military body to which Mr. LUM belonged was distinctively a "fighting regiment", and the losses by it sustained in battle were thirty five percent, greater than those of any other New Jersey regiment. Its proportion killed at Spottsylvania was twenty six percent and was exceeded only by the First Wisconcin Regiment, at Gettysburg, where the loss to said regiment was twenty eight percent. The total percentage of loss killed and wounded, to the Fifteenth New Jersey, was sixty three. Special mention is made of this regiment in Colonel William F. FOX'S History of United States Volunteers. Mr. LUM was president of his regimental association in 1895, being the first enlisted man to hold that office in said association.

After his return from the north Mr. LUM completed his trade, worked as a journeyman for a time and then, in 1871, embarked in business on his own account as a contractor and builder, doing business in Chatham and Madison. He rebuilt the Van WAGGONER drug store, in Madison, after its destruction by fire, erected the CONNETT and DAVIDSON residences and the Brower and Heald houses in Chatham, the Dunning Club and store building in Madison and many other leading structures in the two towns.

On the 20th of November, 1870, Mr LUM was united in marriage to Miss Mary L BONNELL, a native on Elizabethtown, New Jersey, and a daughter of Newell L and Phoebe (MEEKER) BONNELL, of old New Jersey families. Seven children have been born of this union, but three died in childhood. Those who are still living are Grace, Herbert, Russell and Mabel. The mother of this family died Oct 9 1866, Mr. LUM was again married June 2 1890, his second union being with Miss Margaretta McDONALD, a native of Newark, and a daughter of James and Mary (MATHEWS) McDONALD the former a native of Scotland, and the latter of the north of Ireland, and of Scotch-Irish descent. Two children grace the second marriage of Mr. LUM, Reginald P and Naomi. Mrs LUM is a member of the Presbyterian church and is a most estimable lady whose friends in the community are many. Mr. Lum belongs to U.S. GRANT Post, No 117, G.A.R., of Chatham, New Jersey, is a republican in his political views, and is an ardent worker in behalf of temperance.

Transcribed by Ida King


This page was last modified on:  01 January, 2014

Copyright 1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.