Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
JOHN, JAMES AND GEORGE BADGLEY.
These three brothers, together with their three sisters, Phebe, Sarah, and Betsey, came over from Long Island, to Elizabethtown.
George settled in Elizabethtown. He had a daughter, Nancy, who married John Brown, and removed to Stonyhill, [see Brown.] John and James, with their three sisters, came up and settled in the Valley between the 1st and 2nd Mountains, in the year 1736-7. When Joseph Morse, the Elizabethtown Surveyor, was surveying this region, he surveyed for John and James Badgley, a tract of 400 acres of land, between the mountains, lying along Blue Brook, and extending South to the top of the first mountain. John Badgley had one son, John Badgley, Junior, whose wife's name was Effa.
JAMES BADGLEY had four children: (2d Generation.)
- James, Jun., whose wife's name was Sarah.
- Joseph, married Betsey Scudder, sister of Benjamin Scudder, below Springfield.
- Anthony married Anne Woodruff.
- Robert, married Rachel Vreland.
PHEBE BADGLEY married Peter Willcockse, Senior. [See Willcockse.] (1st Generation.)
SARAH BADGLEY married Joseph Doty, Senior. [See Doty.]
BETSEY BADGLEY married Uriah Hedges, Senior. [See Hedges.]
JAMES BADGLEY, Jun., and Sarah, his wife, had children: (3d Generation.)
- James, 3rd.
- Joseph, 2nd.
JOSEPH BADGLEY, 2nd, (2nd child of James Badgley,) and Betsey Scudder, had children:
- Moses, who married Susannah--and had two children.
ANTHONY BADGLEY, (3rd child of James Badgley,) [possibly d. June 30, 1803 age 40 Presbyterian Church in Westfield NJ] and Anna Woodruff, had children:
- Jonathan, who married, 1st Lydia Scudder [m. 9 June 1782 Presbyterian Church in Westfield NJ]; 2nd, Hannah Searing, daughter of Noah Searing.
- Anthony, 2nd, married Abigail Hedges, daughter of Uriah Hedges.
- Samuel, married [6 Jan 1791 Mary Frazee; Presbyterian Church in Westfield New Jersey] Polly Frazee, daughter of Henry Frazee.
- Jenny married Barna Hole. [See Hole.] [Jane Badgley m. Barnabus Hold 28 Jan 1790 Presbyterian Church in Westfield NJ]
- Nancy, married Maxwell Frazee, son of Henry Frazee, [See Frazee.] [Nancy Badgley m. Maxfield Frazee 29 Jun 1796 Presbyterian Church in Westfield NJ]
[Aaron Badgley, son of Anthony and Anna, d. Jan 11 1761, ae 04.00.00; Presbyterian Church in Westfield New Jersey]
[Presbyterian Church in Westfield NJ]
Badgley, Anthony c. Mr & Mrs Anthony bap 23 Nov 1760
Badgley, Jonathan c. Mr & Mrs Anthony bap 02 Aug 1761
Badgley, Anthony c. Mr & Mrs Anthony bap 14 Nov 1762
Badgley, ______ c. Mr & Mrs Anthony bap 29 Mar 1763
Badgley, Charlotta c. Mr & Mrs Anthony bap 21 Apr 1765
Badgley, Mary c. Mr & Mrs Anthony bap 28 Jan 1770
Badgley, Jennet c. Mr & Mrs Anthony bap 02 Feb 1772
Badgley, David c. Mr & Mrs Anthony bap 17 Jul 1774
ROBERT BADGLEY, (4th child of James Badgley,) and Rachel Vreland, had children:
- Enoch, who married Sally Simson, daughter of John Simson, 2nd, and had a daughter, Sarah, who died 23rd April, 1784.
- Robert, Junior.
- William married, 19th June, 1796, Betsey Frazee.
- Hannah, married Joseph Scudder. [m. 9 Mar 1786 Presbyterian Church in Westfield NJ]
MOSES BADGLEY, son of Joseph, son of James Badgley, Jun., married Susannah, _____ and had children: (4th Generation.)
- Sarah, who married Calvin Parker, 11th June, 1788, son of Benjamin Parker, of Longhill, and had an only son, Moses B. Parker, who died unmarried.
- Peggy, who married, 1st June, 1793, William P. Doty, son of Anthony, Senior, [See Doty.]
Mrs. Susannah Badgley died 25th December, 1799, aged 49 years, and Mr. Badgley married, as his 2nd wife, Nancy, the widow of Thomas Oakley. They lived on Longhill. Another Moses Badgley married, 20th September, 1795, Anna, the widow of Samuel Miller, and daughter of John Simson, Junior, and went to Ohio.
JONATHAN BADGLEY, (1st son of Anthony, the 3rd son of James Badgley,) and Lydia Scudder, lived on North side of the 2nd Mountain, and had children:
- Ahijah, who married Betsey Willcox, daughter of Noah Willcox, Senior.
- Stephen married Catherine Denman, daughter of Joseph Denman, of Springfield.
- Noah, who died unmarried.
- John S. married Hannah Sturges, daughter of Benjamin Sturges, of Green Village.
- Polly, married David C. Hand, son of Nehemiah Hand, and had no children.
- Nancy married Thomas Seward, of Springfield, and died in about six months.
- Jane, married Samuel Ball, son of Garner Ball; he died, and she married Mr. Travers.
By his 2nd wife, Hannah Searing, he had other children.
- Aaron, _____ who went to Canada.
- Nancy who went to Canada, and married there.
- Jacob, who died young.
- Noah, 2nd.
- Sarah, who died young.
ANTHONY BADGLEY, Junior, (3rd son of Anthony, 3rd son of James Badgley,) and Abigail Hedges, lived on the North side of the first mountain, where his son Samuel now lives, and had children: (5th Generation.)
[Abigail Badgley, wife of Anthony, d. May 1 1822, ae 52.00.00; Presbyterian Church in Westfield New Jersey]
- Jemima, who married Jacob Price, son of Rice Price. [See Price.]
- Samuel, who was born 1st December, 1793, married Betsey Reeve, daughter of Elias Reeve, of Springfield.
- Anthony, 3rd, married Hannah, widow of William Raddin, and daughter of Elias Clark, and had no children.
[m. 5 July 1836, both of New Providence; by Rev. C.S. Armo; Morris County Marriage Book E]
- Phebe, married John R. Clark, son of Stephen Clark.
- David, married Harriet Wilkison, daughter of Nathan Wilkison. [m. 30 June 1822, by Watson, Somerset Co Marriage Licenses, Somerset Co. Quarterly 1795-1879]
- Mary, married George Brown, son of William Brown, son of John, and had no children.
- Dayton, married Sarah Lyon, daughter of John Lyon, son of Ebenezer.
- Hetty, married Benjamin Sturges, son of Benjamin Sturges, of Green Village, and had no children.
- Abigail, born May, 1811, married Moses Reeve, born July, 1809, son of Watts Reeve, of Springfield.
JEMIMA BADGLEY, (daughter of Anthony Badgley, Jun.,) and Jacob Price, removed to Western New York, and had an only child, Phebe Price, who married _____ and soon died.
SAMUEL BADGLEY, (2nd child of Anthony Badgley, Jun.) and Betsey Reeve, had children: (4th Generation.)
- Ann Eliza.
- John Milton.
PHEBE BADGLEY, (4th child of Anthony Badgley, Junior,) and John R. Clark, lived on the South side of 1st Mountain, and had children:
- Susan Clark, who married Brooks Roll, son of James, son of Brooks Roll.
- Abigail Clark, who died at about 17 years, unmarried.
- Lucilla Clark, married William Woodruff, son of Daniel Woodruff.
- Hetty Clark.
DAVID BADGLEY, (5th child of Anthony Badgley, Junior,) and Harriet Wilkison, lived at N. P. Village and had children:
- Samuel, who married Hetty Hanford, daughter of Simeon Hanford, and grand-daughter of Isaac Simson, [See Simson.]
- Elizabeth, married, September 23rd, 1849, William G. Marsh, son of Isaac Marsh and Catherine Griffin.
- William Hanley.
DAYTON BADGLEY, (7th child of Anthony Badgley, Junior,) and Sarah Lyon, had children:
- Mary, born April, 1836.
- Ellen, who died at about 7 years.
- Isabella died 5th September, 1848, in youth.
- Harriet Meeker.
ABIGAIL BADGLEY, (9th child of Anthony Badgley, Junior,) and Moses Reeve, had children:
- James W. Reeve, born November, 1833.
- Mary Elizabeth Reeve, born April, 1836.
- Hester Anne Reeve, born 2nd June, 1838.
- Benjamin Franklin Reeve, born March, 1847.
- George B. Dallas Reeve, born December, 1844.
- Sarah Jane Reeve, born 23rd March, 1850.
SAMUEL , (4th son of Anthony Badgley,) and Polly Frazee, lived between the 1st and 2nd Mountains, and had children:
- Aaron, who married Betsey Force, daughter of Samuel Force. They both soon died, and left a son, Aaron, who died at about 16 years.
- Moses Frazee, married Sally Wilkison, daughter of Nathan Wilkison; he soon died; he left a daughter, Lydia, who married, and went to Ohio, and soon died.
[Moses Frazee Badgley, c. Mr & Mrs. Samuel, bap. July 30 1797; Presbyterian Church in Westfield New Jersey]
- Henry, married, 1st, Phebe Sturges, daughter of Benjamin Sturges, of Green Village. 2d. Sarah Gillam, daughter of James Gillam; he died December, 1844.
[Badgley, Mary (Mrs. Samuel) & child, Henry, bap. Nov 11 1792; Presbyterian Church in Westfield New Jersey]
- Huma married Ezekiel Clark, son of Stephen Clark, of Westfield. [Hume Badgley, c. Mr & Mrs. Samuel, bap. May 17 1795; Presbyterian Church in Westfield New Jersey]
- Sarah, married William Price, son of Rice Price, [See Price.]
- Lydia, who died in 1818, aged 19 years.
- Anne, married Jesse Cahoon, from West Jersey; they had no children.
- Maxwell, married Sally Parker, daughter Calvin Parker, and had no children.
- Jacob Foster, born 2nd February, 1808, married Anne Brown, born 26th April, 1812, daughter of William Brown.
- [Mary Badgley, c. Mr & Mrs Samuel, bap. June 30 1799; Presbyterian Church in Westfield New Jersey]
HENRY BADGLEY, (3rd child of Samuel,) and Phebe Sturges, had children: (5th Generation.)
By his 2nd wife, Sarah Gillam, he had no children. (5th Generation.)
HUMA BADGLEY, (4th child of Samuel Badgley,) and Ezekiel Clark, lived in Westfield, and had children:
- Maria Clark, who married Joseph P. Hays.
- Silas Clark, married Lucretia Haines.
- Eliza Clark, married John Heaton.
- Anne Clark, married Jesse Heaton, brother of John.
- Sarah Clark, married James Agens.
- William Clark, married Anne Pink, of Brooklyn.
- Charlotte Clark, married Elias Angleman.
- Samuel Clark.
- Charles Clark.
JACOB F. BADGLEY, (9th child of Samuel Badgley,) and Anne Brown, lived where his father did, and had children:
- Moses, born 21st January, 1833.
- George Brown, born 19th August, 1835.
- Henry, born 26th November, 1837.
- John, born 14th June, 1840.
- Lydia Anne, born 26th October, 1842.
- Samuel, born 8th March, 1845.
- Crook Vancleve, born 15th June, 1847.
- Mary, born 2nd June, 1849.