Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
The father of the Bebout family came from Holland, and married Mary Miller, sister of the Rev. Benjamin Miller, Baptist minister at Scotch Plains. They had two sons, John and Peter.
John lived near Vealtown, in Somerset County, and early removed to the west.
PETER BEBOUT married, December 1st, 1767, Sarah Jewel, and had a son, Ebenzer, who also removed to the west. (3rd Generation.) [Ebenezer Bebout m. 23 Dec 1767 Sarah Jewell by Rev. Jonathan Elmer; Presbyterian Church at New Providence, NJ GMNJ Vol 18 No 4 October 1943]
Peter Bebout, married, 2d, Sarah Darling, half-sister of William Parrot, Sen., and had other children:
2. Peter Bebout, Jun.
3. William married, 1st, Martha Tingley; 2d. Hannah Ogden, of Hanover, Morris county. [William Bebout m. Nov. 1777 Hannah Ogden by Rev. Jacob Green; Prebyterian Church Records at Hanover, Morris, NJ 1746-1796]
4. Christian, who died at about 18 years of age.
5. Abigail married Isaac Potter, son of Colonel Samuel. [See Potter.]
6. Mary married John Osborn, son of John Osborn. [See Osborn.] [Mary Beboat m. 28 Dec 1785 John Osborn by Rev. Jonathan Elmer; Presbyterian Church at New Providence, NJ GMNJ Vol 19 No 1 January 1944]
7. Martha married, 12th November, 1786, 1st, John Bedell, son of Jacob, [See Bedell,] 2d, Luther Jones. [See Jones.] [Martha Bebout m. 12 Nov 1786 John Bedell by Rev. Jonathan Elmer; Presbyterian Church at New Providence, NJ GMNJ Vol 19 No 1 January 1944]
8. Lewis who died at about 15 years.
9. Stephen married Sally Cory, daughter of Elder Daniel Cory.
10. Nancy married, 1st, Simeon Dunn; 2d, Elisha Coriell, by Green Brook.
Peter Bebout, Sen., died 13th January, or 23d August, 1784; the statements differ.
William Bebout died 20th February, 1820, aged 70 years.
John Bedell (husband of Martha) died 1st June, 1788.
Stephen died _____ _____.
The family has lived on the north side of Long Hill, now nearly a century.
WILLIAM BEBOUT, (3d son of Peter Bebout,) by his first wife had no children. By his 2d wife, Hannah, he had one daughter, Sally, who married Joseph Crane, son of Joseph. [See Crane.]
STEPHEN BEBOUT, (8th child of Peter,) and Sally Cory, had children: (4th Generation.)
1. Peter, who married Abigail Potter, daughter of Samuel, son of Caleb Potter.
2. Israel, born 30th October, 1799, married, 4th June, 1843, Mary Crane, daughter of Norris. [Israel Bebout m. 4 Jun 1843 Mary Crane of Green Village by Rev. C.S. Arms, Madison; Morris County Marriages Book E]
3. Daniel Cory, who died a young man.
4. Julia married Benjamin Crane, son of Norris. [See Crane.]
5. Sineus married Louisa Mundy, of Bridgetown; lives at Plainfield.
6. William married Phebe Anne Martin, daughter of Richard, of Plainfield.
PETER BEBOUT, (1st son of Stephen Bebout,) and Abigail Potter, had children: (5th Generation.)
Peter's wife, Abigail, died 22d October, 1847, aged 49 1/2 years.
ISRAEL BEBOUT, (2d son of Stephen Bebout,) and Mary Crane, had children: 1. Helen Todd.
SINEUS BEBOUT, (5th child of Stephen,) and Louisa Mundy, had children:
WILLIAM BEBOUT, (6th child of Stephen,) had children: 1. Almira; 2. Martha.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.