Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
SOLOMON BOYLE, emigrated from Ireland, and married a French girl in this country. He purchased of East Jersey Proprietors, 600 acres of land, (west of and adjoining the Berkley tract,) a long piece between that tract and Passaic River, separated from the Berkley tract by a line running from the river, due North crossing Long Hill, to the river again. He lived where William Boyle now lives, and had children:
1. John, who married Hannah Frazee.
2. Solomon, Jun., born February, 1734-5, and married Margaret Hull.
3. Benjamin, who died unmarried.
5. Robert, who resided in New-York.
6. Joseph, who married Caty Cross, daughter of Robert Cross.
7. Jane, married Joseph Dalrimple, of Succasunna Plains.
8. Sarah, married Joseph Doty.
9. Lynche, married John Cooper, son of Daniel, 1st. [See Cooper.]
10. Polly, married Daniel Munroe.
JOHN BOYLE, (1st child Solomon, 1st,) built a grist-mill, sawmill, and forge, at the fall where the river passes through Long Hill, the site now occupied by Dunn's Mills. He and his wife, Hannah Frazee, had children: (3d Generation.) [Boyle, Hannah Boyd, wife of John Boyd, d. 26 Mar 1784 in 47th year; Basking Ridge Presbyterian Churchyard transcription]
5. John, who married Betsey Runyon. [m. 15 Aug 1807 by Finley; Somerset Co. Marriage Licenses 1795-1879 - Somerset Co. Quarterly]
SOLOMON BOYLE, Jun., (son of Solomon, 1st,) and Margaret Hull, had children: [Margaret, wife of Solomon, d. 30 Apr 1777 in 35th year; Basking Ridge Presbyterian Churchyard transcription]
1. Agnes, who married Stafford Wilson, from Ireland. [See Wilson.]
2. Susan, married Allen Simpson.
3. Elizabeth, married David Moore, son of Isaac. [See Moore.]
4. Jane, is unmarried, _____ lives with her brother Col. Solomon.
5. Solomon, 3d, (Col.) married Elizabeth Pierson, daughter of Jonathan, and grand-daughter of Col. Cornelius Ludlow. [Elizabeth wife of Solomon, d. 15 July 1803 in 23rd year; Basking Ridge Presbyterian Churchyard transcription]
6. William, (Doct.) married Maria Lafferty.
7. Sarah, who died young.
8. Anne married Jacob , and went to near Cayuga Lake, New-York.
COL. SOLOMON BOYLE, (5th child of Solomon, Jun.,) and Elizabeth Pierson, lived on Long Hill, on the original tract of 600 acres, and had an only child:
1. Mahetabel Day, who married John Tunis, son of Daniel, of New Vernon; had children:
DR. WILLIAM BOYLE, (6th child of Solomon, Jun.,) and Maria Lafferty, had children: (4th Generation.)
1. William, who married Hannah Anderson, daughter of George Esq., of Vealtown. [m. 2 June 1829 by Cox; Somerset Co. Marriage Licenses 1795-1879, Somerset Co. Quarterly]
2. Anna Maria, married Dr. James Howard Hutchins, of Brooklyn, New-York.
3. Adaline, married Albert H. Osborn, son of David L. Osborn, of Brooklyn, who was son of Nehemiah Osborn, of this Valley.
JOSEPH BOYLE, (6th child of Solomon Boyle, 1st,) and Caty Cross, lived south of Long Hill, on the 600 acre tract, near the river, and had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Robert, who married, 1st, his cousin Polly Cross, daughter of William; 2.
2. Polly, who died young. [Mary, daughter of Joseph & Catherine, d. 30 Mar 1799 in 15th year; Basking Ridge Presbyterian Churchyard transcription]
3. William, married his cousin Nancy Cross [m. 2 Dec 1824 by Brownlee; Somerset Co. Marriage Licenses 1795-1879, Somerset Co. Quarterly], sister of Robert's wife, and had an only son, Augustus Alexander Boyle.
4. Susan, married Peter Cooper, son of Daniel Cooper, Esq. [See Cooper.]
5. Patty, married Williams Miller, son of Jonathan, near and North of Liberty Corner.
6. Solomon, married Harriet Parcel [m. 26 Feb 1824 by Walsh; Somerset Co. Marriage Licenses 1795-1879, Somerset Co. Quarterly], daughter of Captain John Parcel, of Liberty Corner, and had an only child, John Ferdinand Boyle, who married Lydia Anne R. Annin [m. 27 Jan 1848 by English; Somerset Co. Marriage Licenses 1795-1879, Somerset Co. Quarterly], daughter of William C. Annin.
7. Alexander, who went to Cuba, (West Indies,) and never returned.
ROBERT BOYLE, (eldest child of Joseph, son of Solomon,) and Polly Cross, had children:
3. Sarah Anne. (4th Generation.)
4. William Cross Boyle, who married Mary Aletta Annin [m. 18 Oct 1843 by Engligh; Somerset Co. Marriage Licenses 1795-1879, Somerset Co. Quarterly], daughter of William C. Annin, of Liberty Corner, and went to Jeffersonville, Illinois, in 1848.
Robert Boyle's wife, Polly, then died, and by his 2d wife Lany, had other children:
5. David, who died at about 7 years;
6. Mary L.;
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.