Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
WILLIAM BRITTIN'S wife's name was Sarah _____; she died 29th December, 1787. They had children: (2d Generation.)
1. William, Jun., who married Mary Pierson [Mary Pierson, d/o John Pierson, b. 1744, d. 5 Apr 1797, m. Capt Wm. Brittin Jr. b. 1738, d. 22 July 1793; pg 62, The Ogden Family in America, Wheeler, William Ogden, Philadelphia, Penn: J.B. Lippincott Company 1907], daughter of John, of Lyons Farms.
2. Jacob, who married Elizabeth Van Sickle, 3d March, 1774, whose mother was sister of Thomas Thompson, of Springfield; also was sister of Elizabeth, wife of William Cauldwell. [See Thompson & Cauldwell.]
3. Joseph married Elizabeth Ward, daughter of Cooper Ward, of Hanover, Morris county.
4. John married, 5th June, 1772, Phebe Pettit, daughter of Benjamin Pettit, Jun.
WILLIAM BRITTIN, Jun., (son of William, Sen.,) and Mary Pierson, had children:
1. Mary, who died young.
2. Abbey, who married Joseph Green, and had no children.
3. Vashti married Jeremiah C. Garthwaite, of Elizabethtown.
4. William, 3d, married Freelove Lewis, of Long Island.
5. Fanny married Elias Thompson, son of Jonathan, of Madison.
6. Elihu married, 1st, Mary Price [Mary A. Price b. 11 Sep 1780, d. 23 Jan 1843, m. 14 Dec 1799 Col. Elihu Brittin b. 1778, d. 9 Nov 1849; pg 117, The Ogden Family in America, Wheeler, William Ogden, Philadelphia, Penn: J.B. Lippincott Company 1907], daughter of Thomas, of Elizabethtown; 2. Albina Ralston, daughter of William, son of John, of Mendham.
VASHTI BRITTIN, (3d child of William, Jun.,) and Jeremiah C. Garthwaite, had children: (4th Generation.)
1. William Garthwaite, who married, 1st, Elmira Parker; 2d, Abba Ward, daughter of Dr. Ward, of Newark.
2. Abba Garthwaite married Albert Pierson, of Piersonville, Morris county.
3. Samuel Garthwaite married Mary Damon, of Elizabethtown.
4. Mary Carthwaite married Ira Pierson, brother of Albert.
5. Anne Garthwaite married Henry Geiger, of Elizabethtown. Live in Newark.
6. Jeremiah C. Garthwaite, Jun., married Caroline Darcy, daughter of Dr. J. Darcy.
7. Elizabeth Garthwaite married Joseph Wheeler, of Newark.
8. Thomas Garthwaite married Margaret Brittin, daughter of Colonel William, of Madison.
9. John Rudd Garthwaite, who was killed by the explosion of a steamboat, on the Mississippi river.
WILLIAM BRITTIN, 3d, (4th child of William, Jun.,) and Freelove Lewis, lived on Long Island, and had children:
1. William, 4th; 2. Maria; 3. Caroline; 4. John Pierson; 5. Lewis; 6. Mary: 7. Joseph Dayton; 8. Lavina; 9. Jane Eliza.
FANNY BRITTIN, (5th child of William, Jun.,) and Elias Thompson, lived at Madison, and had children:
1. Abby Thompson, who married Joseph P. Tucker, son of Charles.
2. William Thompson married Miss _____ Marsh.
3. Mary Thompson married Jonathan Crane, son of Isaac, of Madison.
4. Jonathan Thompson, married Bethia Clarkson.
5. Phebe Thompson married Edgar Smith, son of James, of Woodbury.
6. Abel Thompson, who died a young man.
7. Jane Thompson married Mr. Freeman, of Rahway.
COLONEL ELIHU BRITTIN, (6th child of William Brittin, Jun.,) born 1778, and died 9th November, 1849, in his 71st year. He lived in Elizabethtown, and by his 1st wife, Mary Price, had children: (5th Generation.)
1. Henry, who married Eliza McBride, daughter of Hugh, of Tarrytown, New York, and had children: 1. Mary Frances; 2. Lavina; 3. Henrietta; 4. James; 5. George; 6. Jeannette, (twin to George.)
2. Julia, who married Amos Vreeland, and had children: 1. Mary Vreeland, who married William Smith; 2. Henry Vreeland.
3. Henrietta married William P. Mulford, son of
4. Maria, who married John Silvers, son of Noah, of Rahway, and had children:
5. John Pierson Brittin married Sarah Fay, daughter of _____ _____, of Cazenovia, New York, and had a daughter, Gertrude Fay Brittin. He died at about 36 years.
6. Emeline, who married Abraham C. Squier, son of Recompence Squier, of Rahway, and had children: 1. Mary Esther Squier; 2. Jonathan Squier; 3. William Henry Squier. And by his 2d wife, Albina Ralston,
Colonel Brittin had other children: 7. Mary Helen; 8. Luna.
JACOB BRITTIN, (2d son of William Brittin, 1st,) lived on Longhill, and owned 100 acres of land, No. 23 (addition,) of the Elizabethtown survey, and also part of No. 27, extending south to the river. (3d Generation.)
He and his wife, Elizabeth Van Sickle, had children:
1. Theodocia, who married Miller Walker, son of Asher. [See Walker.]
2. William, born 8th February, 1778, and married Margaret Baker, daughter of Daniel, of Westfield. He was Col. of the Militia--Judge of the County Court, and was a member of the Legislature several years, and also member of Council, from Morris county.
3. Abraham, born 20th February, 1780; married Elizabeth Baker, sister of William's wife.
William and Abraham were merchants in Madison many years.
4. Isaac married Abby Ludlow, daughter of Benjamin, of Westfield; he also lived at Madison.
5. Sally married Caleb Boss, son of Joseph, of Longhill. They both died leaving no children.
Jacob Brittin died 18th August, 1784, and his widow Elizabeth, married Jonathan Miller, of Westfield, who lived with her at Longhill till she died, 15th July, 1795, aged 41 years.
Mr. Miller married again a Miss Hedges, of Long Island, and died of asthma, 30th July, 1802, aged 41 years.
COL. WILLIAM BRITTIN, (2d child of Jacob Brittin,) and Margaret Baker, had children: (4th Generation.)
1. Sylvester, born 5th February, 1802, married Pamela, widow of Dr. Henry G. Elmer, and daughter of Gabriel Johnson, Esq., -- both died without children:
2. Eliza Van Sickle, born 4th June, 1804, married William Woodruff, son of Flavel, and had children. (5th Generation.)
3. Anna Maria, born 16th August, 1806, married Jacob Baker, son of William, brother of Daniel, [See Baker.]
4. Hervy, born August, 1809, and died a young man.
5. Mary, born _____, 1812, married Apollos M. Elmer, son of Doct. Moses, and had a daughter, Elizabeth, who became deaf in youth. Mrs. Elmer died 9th April, 1836, aged 24 years.
6. William Jackson, married Helen Maria Howel, daughter of Ezra Howel, of East Madison, and had children:
ABRAHAM BRITTIN (3d child of Jacob,) and Elizabeth Baker, had children: (4th Generation.)
1. Edwin, who married Rosina Black, of Arkansas. He died 27th Sebtember, 1847, at his father's, and left children:
2. Alfred Bishop, born 1st October, 1814, is an engineer.
3. Margaret Osborn, born 11th June, 1819, married Jacob Thomas Garthwaite, son of Jeremiah C., of Elizabethtown; -- lives in Newark, and had children: 1. Elizabeth Brittin Garthwaite; 2. Mary Turner Garthwaite, who died at about three years eight months.
4. Mary Walker, married Joseph P. Turner, of Alabama, and lived there and had children: 1 Rossina Brittin Turner; 2. Fredrick Brittin Turner; 3. Edwin Brittin Turner.
ISAAC BRITTIN, (4th child of Sacob,) and Abby Ludlow, had but one child:
1. Benjamin Ludlow, who went to Washington, Arkansas.
JOSEPH BRITTIN, (3d son of William, 1st) lived at Schenectady, New-York. He and Elizabeth Ward had children: (3d Generation.)
2. William, who died a young man.
3. Maria, who married Asa Sprague, of Connecticut.
4. Eliza, married Dr. Dunlap, of Schenectady.
5. Sarah. 6. Samuel. 7. Lydia. 8. Joseph.
JOHN BRITTIN, (4th son of William Brittin,) lived in Sussex. He and his wife, Phebe Pettit, had children:
1. Pettit, who married _____, lived in Sussex.
2. Betsey, who married James Primrose, _____ lived in Sussex.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.