Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
DANIEL CLARK, by his 1st wife, had children:
1. John, who lived and died at Rockaway, Morris county.
2. Daniel, who married _____ ; was a Baptist preacher.
3. Sarah, who married John Doty, son of Joseph Doty, 1st. [See Doty,] Daniel Clark's 1st wife then died, and he married, 2d, Miss Shipman, and had other children:
4. Stephanus, who married, 28th May, 1776, Keziah Doty, daughter of George, and removed to the State of Ohio.
5. Jabez, who married Caty Sickle, daughter of Samuel Sickle.
6. Keturah married, 22d April, 1771, Aaron Camp, son of Aaron. [See Camp.]
7. Deborah, married Elias Runyon, son of Richard, 1st. [See Runyon.]
8. Abigail married Thomas Scudder, brother of Richard, who owned and lived on the Townley Farm. [See Thomas Scudder.]
STEPHANUS CLARK, (4th child of Daniel,) and Keziah Doty, had children:
1. Polly, who married Jeremiah H. Osborn, 3d March, 1795, as his 2d wife. [See J. H. Osborn.]
ELIAS CLARK, came up from Rahway, and settled on Stony Hill, on No. 47, of the Elizabethtown lots.
He married Betsey Clark, daughter of Benjamin Clark, of Rahway, and had children:
1. Elias, who married Sarah Swain, daughter of Jacob.
2. Nancy married Philip Allen, son of Joseph, [See Allen.]
3. Betsey married 28th October, 1793, Enoch Sutton, son of William. [See Sutton.]
4. Ichabod married Phebe Badgley, and had a son:
5. Sarah married David Stewart, son of William, and went to Ohio.
6. Mary Anne, who had a son, James C. Lyon, and married Henry Littell.
7. Lockey, married David Wilson, of Mount Bethel.
8. Hannah, married, 15th July, 1809, William Raddin, son of Jeremy, [See Radden.]
9. David married, 1st, Betsey Anderson, daughter of James; 2d, Lockey, widow of Michael Long, and daughter of William Stewart.
ELIAS CLARK, (1st son of Elias,) and Sarah Swain, had children:
1. Benjaman, who went to Long Island.
2. Noah, married Harriet Smith, daughter of Thomas.
3. Betsey, married Ephriam Howard.
4. Stewart, went away unmarried.
DAVID CLARK, (9th child of Elias Clark,) and Betsey Anderson, had children:
1. Nancy, who married Samuel Chamberlain, of Newark, and had, 1st, Mary Rebecca, who died at about 4 years; 2d, Jane Elizabeth; 3d, Phebe, who died at about 5 years.
2. Elias married, 1st, Phebe Long, daughter of Michael; 2d, Caroline Doty, daughter of Henry, of Washington Valley, and had children by his first wife: 1. Elizabeth; 2. Samuel.
3. Robert, born 6th April, 1818, married Sarah Wilson, born 7th March, 1817, daughter of Benjamin, and had children: 1. Benjamin, born 26th June, 1839; 2. David, born 3d December, 1840; 3. Elizabeth, born 2d December, 1842; 4. Phebe, born 3d Nov., 1844; 5. Stewart, 26th Feb., 1849.
4. James married Hannah Mariah Doty, daughter of Henry.
5. Mary Anne married Garret Pier, of Newark; she died 30th August, 1849, and left children: 1. Jane Pier; 2. Robert Pier.
6. Eliza married John Wilson, brother of Robert's wife, and had children: 1. Isaac Wilson, who died at 2 years; 2. Mary Anne Wilson.
ISAAC CLARK, lived near Johnson's Bridge, where Samuel Duryee now lives. He died 8th November, 1784, aged 72 years. His widow died 28th August, 1793. Isaac Clark had children:
1. Samuel, who married Chloe _____ , and early removed to the west.
2. Ezekiel also early went to the west.
3. Isaac, Jun., was the Blind Fiddler; lived where Aaron Johnson now lives. He married, 7th December, 1787, Rachel, the widow of Andrew Wade, and daughter of John Osborn, and had children:
JOHN CLARK came from Long Island, and settled in this place He was said to be no kin to Daniel, Elias, or Isaac Clark, nor they to each other. He was an elder in the church here. He lived where Matthias Osborn now lives, and, by his first wife, had children:
1. Jeremiah, who married, 16th January, 1771, Hannah Roberts. He built the house and lived where the widow Polly Day lives. He sold it to Abner Bailey, and removed to the west.
2. Stephen, who also removed to the west.
3. Ketura married Mr. Roff, of Newark, and had children: 1. Aaron Roff; 2. Moses Roff; 3. Stephen Roff; 4. David Roff.
Elder Clark's wife then died, and he married Sarah, the widow of Jeremiah Hart, and had other children:
4. Samuel, born 9th December, 1752, married, 1st, Jane Osborn, daughter of John, who was born 25th November, 1756; 2d, Damaris Day, daughter of George.
5. John, born 12th September, 1754; married Sarah Doty, daughter of George, and removed to the Susquehanna River, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.
6. Abigail, born 9th May, 1755, and married Ezra Baldwin, son of Nathan, son of John, of Union, and lived near Cheapside. [See Ezra Baldwin.]
7. Susannah, born 12th October, 1757, married Jacob Potter, son of Daniel, 2d. [See Potter.]
8. Sarah, born 9th January, 1759, married Amos Potter, Esq., brother of Jacob.
Elder John Clark died 12th May, 1794, aged 84 years.
His wife, Sarah, died 1st September, 1808, aged 91 years.
Sarah, wife of Amos Potter, died 15th January, 1796, aged 37 years.
Susannah, wife of Jacob Potter, died 23d March, 1841, aged 83 1/2 years.
SAMUEL CLARK, (4th child of Elder John Clark,) lived where his father did, and was Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and Justice of the Peace. He and his wife, Jane Osborn, had children:
1. Daniel Seely, born 12th August, 1773; married, 28th February, 1796, Sally Willcox, daughter of John, and died 22d February, 1843, nearly 70 years of age.
2. Eunice, born 5th December, 1775, and died a young woman, unmarried.
3. David C., born 15th March, 1777; married Susannah Condit, of Orange, and died 13th January, 1832.
4. Stephen, born 6th June, 1788, married Joanna Miller, daughter of Jacob, of Long Hill, and went with him to Butler County, Ohio.
5. Polly, born 14th August, 1782, married James Parcel, and went to Clark County, Illinois.
6. Sibbel, baptized 7th June, 1783, and died in infancy.
Samuel Clark's wife, Jane, died 17th November, 1791, aged 38 years, and he married, 1st September, 1792, Damaris Day, daughter of George, and had other chileren:
7. Abraham, who married Jennet Doty, daughter of James Doty, and had an only son, James Doty Clark.
8. Martha Day Clark, who died 16th February, 1827, aged 24 years, unmarried.
Samuel Clark, Esq., died 23d February, 1822, aged 71 years. His widow, Damaris, died 28th December, 1840.
DANIEL S. CLARK, ESQ., (1st son of Samuel,) was a Justice of the Peace. He lived on his father's farm -- was a merchant--and he and Sally Willcox had children:
1. William M., who married, 1st, Rachel Wood, daughter of Daniel S. Wood. Jun.; 2d. Sally Wood, sister of his 1st wife.
2. Levi, who married, 1st, Eliza Crane, daughter of Joseph, 2d, Elizabeth Tucker, daughter of Moses, son of John.
3. Samuel married, 4th December, 1844, Mary Noe, daughter of David, son of John.
4. Daniel Seely, Jun., who went to Louisville, Kentucky, and married there.
5. Stephen, who also went to Kentucky.
6. Jane married Hervy Spencer, son of William Spencer, of Chatham. [See Spencer.]
7. Eliza married Henry Schureman, son of Thomas, Esq., of Hunterdon Co. She lives in New York.
8. Sarah married Mr. Myers, of New York, and went to St. Louis, Missouri.
9. Mary married Joseph Graham, of New York, and lives there.
WILLIAM M. CLARK, (1st child of Daniel S. Clark, Esq.,) lived in this valley, in Morris county; was a merchant, and was a Major in the Militia, and Justice of the Peace. He and his wife, Rachel, had children;
1. Mary; 2. Anne Curry; 3. Hannah. And by his 2d wife, Sally, had other children: 4. Emeline.
LEVI CLARK, ESQ., (2d child of Daniel S. Clark, Esq.,) was a Justice of the Peace--lived where his father did--and he and his wife, Eliza Crane, had children:
2. Joseph Crane, who died at 17 years.
3. John Wesley. 4. Sarah Elizabeth. 5. Charles Pitman. 6. Ira Crane. 7. Daniel Seely. 8. Abigail Morris.
His 1st wife, Eliza, died 24th October, 1834, aged 34 years; and by his 2d wife, Elizabeth Tucker, he had other children: 9. Frances; 10. Emeline.
SAMUEL CLARK, (3d child of Daniel S. Clark, Esq.,) lives in Newark. He and Mary Noe had children:
1. Arthur Berry; 2. Samuel; 3. Jane Noe.
DAVID C. CLARK, (3d child of Samuel Clark, Esq.,) and Susannah Condit, had children:
1. John D., who married Sally Miller, of Westfield.
3. Jane married Jeremiah Crane, son of Jeremiah, son of Timothy, and had no children.
4. Polly, who died unmarried.
5. Phebe, who died 23d December, 1846, unmarried.
David C. Clark, died 13th January, 1832, aged 55; his wife died 26th February, 1841, aged 65 years.
STEPHEN CLARK, (4th child of Samuel Clark, Esq.,) and Joanna Miller, had children in Ohio:
1. Jonas P. who married _____ , and had three sons and three daughters.
2. David C. married _____ ; had five sons and 1 daughter.
3. Jane married John Hamilton. She died March, 1834 without children.
Stephen Clark died, and his widow married Jacob Morris, and had children: 1. Mary Morris, who married William Jordan; 2. Hannah Morris, who married Charles Porter.
Mr. Morris died about 1837, and she lives with Mr. Porter, in Vermilion County, Indiana.
POLLY CLARK, (5th child of Samuel Clark, Esq.,) and James Parcel, had children:
1. Jane Parcel, who married William Crawford, from Long Island, and had children. He died in 1840.
2. William Morris Parcel, born 1st April, 1803; had two wives and six children.
3. John Ira Parcel, born 5th October, 1805, had 2 wives and 8 children; lives in Westfield, Clark Co., Illinois.
4. Lucinda married Philip Sliper; lives in Clinton Co., Ind.
5. Margaret married Joseph G. Hayes; has three sons and two daughters; lives in Clinton Co.
JOHN CLARK, JUN., (5th child of Elder John Clark,) and Sarah Doty, had children:
1. Aaron, baptized 4th June, 1786, who married Thirza Gore, and had no children.
2. Philemon, who married Betsey Chandler.
3. George Doty, who married Deborah Osborn, daughter of J. H. Osborn.
4. Sebia Howel, who married David Doty, son of Joseph, 3.
5. Sally, who married John Osborn, son of Jonathan H. Osborn. [See Osborn.]
6. John, 3d, married Betsey Tompkins.
GEORGE DOTY CLARK, (3d son of John Clark, Jun.,) and Deborah Osborn, had children:
1. Sarah, who married, 1st, Salma Hyde; 2d, _____ _____ .
2. Miriam married Mr. _____ Dunham.
3. Jotham Potter married _____ _____ .
Mr. John Clark, Jun., and all his family, but Mrs. Sally, wife of John Osborn, lived in Luzerne Co., Penn.
Mr. G. Doty Clark died, and his widow, Deborah, married a Mr. Camel, and went to Ohio, but had no other children, and he died and left her a widow again.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2014
Copyright ©1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.