Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
ANDREW CRAIG lived in the township of Westfield. He was one of the 2d generation of the "Elizabethtown Associates," admitted in 1699, and many years an Alderman of the borough of Elizabeth. He married _____ _____ , and had children: (2d Gen.)
1. James, whose wife's name was Lydia.
2. Susannah, who married David Littell, son of Samuel. [See David Littell.]
Alderman Craig may have had other children.
JAMES and LYDIA CRAIG had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Daniel, who married Miss _____ Clark, sister of Richard, Clark, of Rahway.
DANIEL CRAIG, (son of James, 1st,) and Miss Clark, had children: 1. Isaac; 2. Terril; 3. Clark, and two or three others. (4th Generation.)
He removed to Esopus, New-York, and settled there.
JAMES CRAIG, JUN., (son of James and Lydia Craig,) and Mary Jennings, had children:
1. Sally, who married William Robins, of Ohio.
2. James, 3d, who married Betsey Tucker, daughter of Amos, of Rahway.
3. William married Jane Roff, daughter of Nathaniel, of New-Providence.
4. Andrew, born 29th January, 1785, married Alsie Manning, born 20th August, 1784, daughter of Isaac, of Plainfield.
5. John married [17 Jun 1809, Westfield Presbyterian Church Records] Sally Cooley, an English girl, and had children: 1. David Stewart Craig, and three others.
All this family, except Andrew, after their father's death, went to Ohio.
JAMES CRAIG, 3d, and Betsey Tucker, had children: (5th Generation.)
1. John, who married in Ohio.
2. William married _____ _____ , and died, leaving four children.
3. Phebe, who died at about six or seven years.
WILLIAM CRAIG, (3d child of James Craig, Jun.,) and Jane Roff, had children:
ANDREW CRAIG, (4th child of James Craig, Jun.,) and Alsie Manning, lived where his father did, in Westfield, and had children: (6th Gen.)
1. John Manning Craig, born 26th August, 1809, went on a whaling voyage and died.
2. Margaret Craig, born 31st January, 1812, married [27 Apr 1835, Westfield Presbyterian Church Records] Matthias Burnet, son of Matthias, of Union, and has one child, Mary Anne Burnet.
3. Isaac Clarkson Craig, born 11th February, 1815; married Lavenia Herdman, daughter of Aaron Herdman, of Newark, and had children:
4. Alsie Anne Craig, born 16th August, 1817, married [10 Nov 1841, Westfield Presbyterian Church Records] John Jeroloman, of Bellville, and had children:
5. Mary Catherine Craig, born 9th May, 1820, married [10 Dec 1840, Westfield Presbyterian Church Records] Obadiah Kitchel, son of Jesse, son of Obadiah Kitchel, of Hanover, Morris County, and had children;
6. Richard Merril Craig, born 28th January, 1825.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.