Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
DAVID FRENCH came from Connecticut Farms, now Union, and settled about one mile east of David Smalley's, Esq. He had a brother, John French, who lived where Thomas Conn now does, who sold out to Mr. Conn, and went to the lakes, New York. David French married, 30th May, 1776, Sarah Willcox, daughter of William, son of Peter Willcocks, Sen., and had children: (2d Generation.)
1. Benjamin, who married Polly Collard, daughter of Benjamin Collard.
2. Polly married David Hays, of Westfield.
3. Willis married Hannah Hetfield, daughter of Moses, of Westfield.
4. Levi married Fanny Dunham, daughter of John, Jun., and went to the lakes.
5. Sally married James Williamson, of Monmouth county.
6. David, Jun., married, 2d November, 1809, Margaret Noe, daughter of Lewis Noe.
7. Cornelius married Sally Winans, above Morristown, and went to the lakes.
8. Betsey married John Corwin, son of Stephen. [See Corwin.]
9. Phebe married Moses Moore, son of Isaac Moore. [See Moore.]
10. Nancy married Moses S. Littell, son of Master Benjamin Littell; went to the lakes. [See Littell.]
WILLIS FRENCH, (son of David,) and Hannah Hetfield, had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Betsey is unmarried.
2. Sarah, who married Barzilla Ayers, lives in Elizabethtown, and has children: 1. Mary Elizabeth; 2. Moses Hetfield; 3. Hannah Frances.
3. Moses Hetfield married Betsey Cole, daughter of Freeman Cole, Esq, [see Parrot.] owned the Stone Mill in Washington Valley, lives there, and has children: 1. Elias C.; 2. Adelia H.; 3. Agnes R. _____ ; 4. _____ .
4. David A., who married Margaret Wood, daughter of Daniel S. Wood, Jun., and has children: 1. Mary Eliza; 2. Barzilla Ayers; 3. Rachel Anne; 4. William Theodore.
5. Mary married Henry, son of Noah Frazee. [See Frazee.]
DAVID FRENCH, (son of David,) and Margaret Noe, had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Huma, who married William Drake, son of Noah. [See Drake.]
2. Phinehas married Mary Emeline Oswald, daughter of Henry, of New York, lives at Plainfield, owns or manages a grist-mill there, and had children: 1. Theodore; 2. Mary Elizabeth; 3. John Henry.
3. Lewis Noe, who died by accident, 6th January, 1849, unmarried.
4. Phebe married David Coulter, near Mount Bethel, Warren, Somerset county.
5. Harriet married Benjamin Lollard, near Mount Bethel.
6. Margaret married Frederick Bryant, of Hunterdon county.
7. Maria, (twin to Margaret).
8. Sally Anne.
9. Hetty Jane.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.