Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
HEZEKIAH HAND lived in Westfield; had three wives. By his 1st wife had five, by his 2d wife, five, and by his 3d wife, 12 children; making 22 in all. (2d Generation.)
1. John, who went and settled somewhere on the Mohawk river, in New York, and married there.
2. David, who married Abigail Osborn, daughter of Benjamin, of near Mount Bethel.
3. Sarah married _____ , and removed to Philadelphia.
4. Elizabeth married Isaac Pack.
5. Charity married Job Gould, lived at Milford, Pennsylvania, and had children: 1. John Gould; 2. Sarah Gould; 3. Rebecca Gould; and by his 2d wife, had,
6. Hezekiah, who died unmarried.
7. Robert married Rachel Whitehead, daughter of Richard, of Short Hills.
8. Nehemiah, (twin to Robert,) born 6th September, 1764, married Sarah Clark, daughter of David, of Warren township, Somerset county.
9. Jacob married, 1st, Miss Lane; 2d, Joanna Crane, a widow.
10. Nancy, who died young.
And by his 3d wife, Anna Ferrago, Hezekiah Hand had 12 children:
11. Martha, who married, 1st, John Tomer, and 2d, Joseph Stone.
12. Phebe married Henry Smalley, son of David Smalley, Esq., of Warren, Somerset county.
13. William married, 1st, Sarah Shaw, daughter of John, and had four children; 2d, Elizabeth Richards, daughter of Samuel, of Springfield; 3d, on 14th October, 1848, Elizabeth Littell, daughter of Doct. Anthony Littell. He was born 15th June, 1774; his 3d wife was born 22d May, 1790; had no children by 2d or 3d wives.
14. Mary married Azariah Dunham, of Plainfield.
15. Henry, born 19th November, 1779, and married Sarah Davis, daughter of Deacon Jacob Davis, and went to Ohio.
16. Charlotte married John Wayne.
17. Jotham married Jane Haviland.
18. Tabitha married Levi Thomas, son of William, and went to Western New York.
19. Jonathan married, for his 2d wife, Phebe Rino, daughter of Peter Rino.
20. Nancy married Levi Hetfield, son of Zophar, of Westfield, and had a pair of twins, who died in infancy.
ROBERT and NEHEMIAH, (sons of Hezekiah Hand,) removed from Westfield to Passaic Valley, about the year 1796. (3d Generation.)
Robert Hand, and Rachel Whitehead, had children:
1. Fanny, who married, 5th March, 1807, John Stanley, of New York; she had children:
2. Margaret married William Bonnel, of Plainfield, and went to French Creek, Pennsylvania.
3. Robert married Hannah Crowel, daughter of Samuel, of New Vernon; lives in Newark.
4. Uzel married Deborah Meeker, daughter of Daniel H., son of Isaiah; lived in Newark.
5. Deborah married Abner Williams, son of Noah, of Long Hill; lives in Morristown. [See Williams.]
6. Harriet married William Camp, Jun., son of William, of Livingston; had one daughter, and then died.
7. Clarissa, born 30th October, 1799, married, 19th February, 1820, John Trowbridge, of Morris county.
8. Frances Everet, who went west to the Mississippi river.
ROBERT HAND, (son of Robert,) and Hannah Crowel, had children: (4th Generation.)
1. Salina, who married Henry Sugard, of Newark, and soon died.
2. Helen married Peter Sugard, cousin of Henry; he died and she married, 2d, George Backus, of Newark.
UZEL HAND, (son of Robert,) and Deborah Meeker, lived in Newark, and had children:
1. Caroline, who married Henry Low, son of Cornelius, of Cauldwell.
2. Robert married Elizabeth Hamilton, daughter of Jacob, of Millville, and had children: 1. Jane; 2. Sarah Caroline; 3. Henry Low.
3. Frances Everet married Charlotte Warlsie, and had children: 1. Gertrude Cook.
NOTE.-- Robert Hand died 19th July, 1819, aged 54 years. Rachel, his wife, died 26th March, 1832, aged 73 years. Uzel Hand, (their son,) died 10th July, 1839, aged 47 years.
CLARISSA HAND, (daughter of Robert,) and John Trowbridge, had children:
1. Mary Jane, who married Francis Woodruff, son of John, of Elizabethtown.
2. Margaret, who married John Cooper, of Rahway.
3. Anna Mariah.
4. John Lewis.
5. Elizabeth Antoinette, born 14th February, 1831.
6. Henrietta, born 5th October, 1833.
7. Henry Augustine, born 17th July, 1836.
8. Uzel, born 7th June, 1839.
9. Frances, born 16th October, 1842.
10. Harriet, born 6th December, 1844.
NEHEMIAH HAND, (son of Hezekiah,) was born 6th Sept. 1764, and died 15th February, 1834. His wife, Sarah, died 26th Feb. 1844; they had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Sarah, born 24th Dec. 1791, and died 24th Nov. 1793.
2. Matthias, born 9th Nov. 1793, married, 20th Nov. 1814, Miriam Foster, daughter of John W. Foster, of Westfield, and died 7th April, 1848.
3. David Clark, born 6th May, 1796, married, 24th Dec. 1814, Mary Badgley, daughter of Jonathan, and had no children.
4. Betsey, born 1st Nov. 1798, married, 24th Aug. 1814, John Combs, son of James, of Monmouth county, and had children: 1. Sally Anne Combs, born 17th Feb. 1815, and died 31st Aug. 1839, unmarried; 2. David Hand Combs, born 13th Nov. 1818. John Combs left his wife and went to Middletown, Ohio; David H., his son, when a young man, went to his father.
5. Benjamin, born 6th Feb. 1805, married Betsey Tice, daughter of John, of Westchester county, New Yrk.
6. John Winans, born 4th Dec. 1806, married Betsey Doty, daughter of Anthony; has no children.
MATTHIAS HAND, (son of Nehemiah,) and Miriam Foster, had children: (4th Generation.)
1. John Foster, born 18th August, 1815, and died 26th May, 1830.
2. Nehemiah, born 7th August, 1817, married, 10th August, 1837, Mary Marsh, of Westfield.
3. Mariah Clark, born 7th April, 1819, married William Ferris, son of Randolph, of Chatham.
4. Elizabeth, born 21st June, 1821, married William Fautoute, of Union township.
5. Martha, born 9th July, 1824, married Lewis Miller, son of William, of Westfield, whose wife was Sarah, daughter of Lewis Ludlow and Betsey Davis, daughter of Deacon Davis.
6. Abby, born 7th October, 1826.
7. William married Emma _____ .
BENJAMIN HAND, (son of Nehemiah,) and Betsey Tice, had children: 1. Caroline; 2. Mahala Tice; 3. Sarah Elizabeth.
WILLIAM HAND, (13th child of Hezekiah Hand,) and his first wife, Sarah Shaw, had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Mary, who married Doct. Corra Osborn, son of Jonathan Hand Osborn.
2. Hannah, who married John Darby, Jun., son of John Darby of Scotch Plains.
3. William, Jun., who married Nancy Terry, daughter of Thomas Terry.
4. Sarah Anne married James Potter, son of Reuben Potter, of Westfield.
MARY HAND, and Doct. Corra Osborn, had children: (4th Generation.)
1. Mahlon Osborn, who went to St. Louis, and married Mary Frothingham.
2. Mary Osborn married Samuel Hays, son of Doct. Samuel Hays, of Newark.
3. Letitia Osborn married David Miller, son of John, of Westfield.
4. Anne Osborn married Nathan Williams, son of Solomon, of Westfield.
HANNAH HAND, (2d daughter of William,) and John Darby, Jun., had children:
1. Ezra Darby, who married Mary Ludlow, was a lawyer, and lived in Elizabethtown. He died 1851.
2. Catherine Darby married Edward Hetfield, son of Zophar, of Westfield.
3. William Darby.
4. Mary Darby married John Hetfield, brother of Edward.
5. Sarah Darby.
6. John Darby.
7. Margaret Darby.
8. Elizabeth Darby.
WILLIAM HAND, Jun., and Nancy Terry, had children: 1. John; 2. Mary; 3. Charlotte; 4. William; 5. Henry 6. David; 7. Thomas Terry.
SARAH HAND, and James Potter, had children: 1. Sarah Potter; 2. Reuben Potter; 3. William Potter; 4. Apollos Potter.
STEPHEN HAND, (brother of Hezekiah,) had 3 wives, the first of which was Eve; by them had 23 children, among which were the following, viz.: (2d Generation.)
3. Lydia, who married Thomas Baker, and went to Ohio.
5. Jane married John Baker, a brother of Thomas Baker.
10. Hannah married John McManners, son of Moses.
11. Mary married Alexander Smith; lived in New York.
12. Sarah married Absalom Ladner.
I know not that Benjamin is any way related to Hezekiah Hand.
BENJAMIN HAND lived on Long Hill, where Samuel Stanbury formerly lived, and owned the farm lately owned by John Littell, and now owned by Richard Ayre and his son William. (2d Generation.)
He married Phebe Wood, sister of Samuel Wood, who went to Dayton, Ohio. She was also a sister of the wife of George Brown, and of Esther, the wife of Jonathan Totten.
Benjamin Hand had children:
1. Daniel, who married Abigail Parrot, daughter of Samuel Parrot, and died. [See Parrot.]
2. Betsey married William Parrot, son of Thomas Parrot. [See Parrot.]
3. John married Anna S. Williams, son of John Williams, of Long Hill.
4. Dennis, who went to Ohio.
5. Polly married, 1st, Jeremiah Mott; 2d, Charles Layton, of New Vernon.
6. Electa married John Cauldwell, son of John, son of William, and went to Ohio. [See Cauldwell.]
7. Joseph. married _____ .
JOHN HAND, and Anna S. Williams, had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Stites, who married Mary Anne Boyle.
2. John Eden.
3. Anna Mariah, who married Henry Frost, of New Vernon, and went to Ohio.
4. Harriet, who went to Ohio, and married there.
5. Emma, went to Ohio, and married there.
I know of no connection between the following families of Hand, with either the two foregoing by that name.
WILLIAM HAND married Lois Ward; they lived in Livingston township, and had children: (2d Generation.)
1. Mary, who married Captain Isaac Gillam.
2. Jonathan married Sarah Reed, daughter of Deacon William Reed, and removed to Basking Ridge.
3. Phebe married Joseph Ball, probably one of the nine sons of Thomas Ball. [See Ball.]
4. David married Patty Campbell, daughter of James Campbell, Esq.
5. Martha married Isaac Shipman, son of Abram, of Monroe, Morris county.
6. Moses married Mary Samson, daughter of David. [See Samson.]
7. Aaron married Phebe Smith, daughter of Walter Smith, of Springfield. He was a colonel in the Essex brigade of militia.
MARY HAND, (1st child of William,) and Capt. Isaac Gilliam, had children. (3d Generation.)
1. Lois Gillam, who married Cyrus Crane; she died, and he married her cousin, Phebe Shipman, widow of John Tichenor.
2. Polly Gillam married Eleazer Baldwin.
3. Anna Gillam married Silas Baldwin, brother of Eleazer.
4. Isaac Gillam, Jun, married _____ _____ .
5. Phebe Gillam married Nathaniel Brown.
6. William Gillam married Polly Darling, daughter of Thomas.
JONATHAN HAND removed from Springfield to Basking Ridge; he married Sarah Reeve, daughter of Deacon William Reeve, of Vauxhall; they had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Aaron, who married Hannah Roy, daughter of William Roy and Elizabeth Whitaker, daughter of Eliphalet Whitaker. [See E. Whitaker.]
2. Polly married Robert Hall, brother of Richard. [See Hall.]
3. Sally, who died unmarried, nearly 50 years of age.
4. Gilbert married Eliza Howel, daughter of John, of Westfield, and went to Darke county, Ohio.
5. Esther married Hartman Vreeland, as his 2d wife; has no children. She lives at Basking Ridge, a widow; has adopted a son of her husband by his first wife, named Hartman Cornelius Vreeland.
6. Jonathan, Jun., married Anne Alward, daughter of Henry; has no children. [See Alward.]
7. Caty married William Todd, son of James, and grandson of Alexander Martin.
8. Nancy married John Moore, son of Benjamin Moore, of Mount Bethel.
9. James married Betsey Pennington, daughter of John, of Dead River.
10. Betsey married Walter Smith Reeve, son of William, of Springfield.
AARON HAND, (1st child of Jonathan,) and Hannah Roy, lived at Basking Ridge, and had children: (4th Generation.)
1. William Roy Hand, who married Phebe M. Annin, daughter of William C. Annin; he is a physician; lives at Ringwood, Hunterdon county, and has children: 1. John Cooper Hand; 2. William Milton Hand; 3. Sarah Hand; 4. Frances Hand.
3. Eliza Whitaker, who died at 9 months.
4. Sarah R., born 20th Dec. 1811, married Ebenezer Byram, son of Silas C., son of Naphtali Byram, of Morristown. [See Byram.]
5. Aaron Milton, born 1819, died 1820.
GILBERT HAND, (4th child of Jonathan Hand,) and Betsey Howel, had children:
1. Tyler, who died in infancy.
2. Tyler, 2d, who also died young.
3. Hannah, who married John Haas, son of Jacob, of Liberty Corner, N. J.
NOTE.-Jacob Haas's wife was Charity Cooper, daughter of Benjamin Cooper. John and Hannah Haas had children: 1. Lydia Haas; 2. Sarah Elizabeth Haas; 3. Job Lane Haas; 4. Gilbert R. Haas; 5. Charity Cooper Haas; 6. John Calvin Haas.
4. Jonathan married, in Ohio, Ruth Roberts, and had children: 1. Eliza; 2. William Reeve.
5. Eliza married John Sagebury, son of James Sagebury, of New York, whose wife was Sally Howel, sister of Eliza's mother.
6. William Reeve.
CATY HAND, (7th child of Jonathan Hand,) and William Todd, had children:
1. John Todd, who married _____ .
2. Jane Todd married Ellis D. Baldwin, son of David, [See Baldwin.]
3. Sarepta Todd married George Bird.
4. Mary Todd.
5. Sarah Todd married William Gibson.
6. Jonathan Todd married _____ .
7. William Todd.
8. Hugh Todd.
9. James Todd.
NANCY HAND, (8th child of Jonathan Hand,) and John Moore, had children:
1. Elsie Moore, who married Joseph Coulter.
2. Sarah Moore married John Adams, of Mount Bethel.
3. Keziah Moore married Patterson Waldron, of Mount Bethel.
4. Benjamin Moore married Harriet Scofield.
5. Eliza Moore.
6. Jonathan Moore.
7. Esther Moore.
8. William Moore.
9. Catherine Moore.
DAVID HAND, (4th child of William,) and Patty Campbell, had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Sally, who did not marry.
2. Uriah married _____ .
3. Lois married Mr. Winans, and went to Ohio.
4. Joseph B. married Mary Gardner, daughter of Moses.
5. Phebe married _____ _____ , of Parcipany, and lived there.
6. Ira married Rhoda Crowel, daughter of Venus Crowel, of Livingston.
7. Prudence married Stephen Brown, son of Phinehas.
IRA HAND, and Rhoda Crowel, had children: (4th Generation.)
1. Mary, who married Horace Vanhouten.
2. Isaac married Caroline Littell, daughter of James, son of Nathaniel, lives in Middletown, Ohio.
3. Phebe married Thomas A. Smith.
4. Lois married Enos Scott.
5. Matilda married Daniel Terril.
MARTHA HAND, (5th child of William,) and Isaac Shipman, had children: (3d Gen.)
1. Phebe Shipman, who married, 1st, John Tichenor; 2d, Cyrus Crane, as his 2d wife.
2. Sally Shipman married _____ _____ .
3. Abraham Shipman married _____ _____ .
4. William Shipman married _____ _____ .
5. Nathaniel Gilliam Shipman married Amy Warner.
MOSES HAND, (6th child of William,) and Mary Samson, had children:
1. Daniel, who married Miss _____ Winans.
2. Elias married _____ _____ and lives near West Point, N. Y.
3. Moses married _____ _____ .
4. Nathaniel, who did not marry.
COL. AARON HAND, (7th child of William,) and Phebe Smith, had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Joseph Smith, born 7th June, 1784, married Lydia Buckbee, daughter of Thomas.
2. Isaac M., born 3d September, 1787, married, 1st, Mary Sands, of Long Island; 2d, Jane, widow of John Barto.
3. Rebecca, born 12th December, 1789, and died at 3 years.
4. William, born 12th June, 1793, and died at 17 years.
5. John Smith, born 23d September, 1795, and died at 33 years, unmarried.
6. Mary P., born 25th August, 1798, married John Bond, son of Nathaniel, of Springfield, and had children: 1. Emma Bond, who married William Chatterton, of Elizabethtown; 2. Eliza Bond.
7. Rebecca, born 18th February, 1802, and died at about 33 years, unmarried.
8. Hannah B., born 24th January, 1805, and died at about 33 years, unmarried.
9. Aaron A., born 11th November, 1807, and died at about 23 years, unmarried.
10. William, born 26th July, 1810, and died in infancy,
JOSEPH S. HAND, (son of Col. Aaron Hand,) lives where his father did. He and Sarah Buckbee had children: (4th Generation.)
2. Mary, who married Asa B. Munn, son of Lewis, of Orange, and had children: 1. Joseph Lewis Munn.
3. William, who died at 35 years, unmarried.
4. Thomas married Mary Bruff, of Columbus, and lives in Cincinnati, Ohio, and had children: 1. Catherine.
5. Isaac S., who married two sisters, 1st, Sarah, 2d, Abby, daughters of Elias Thompson of Madison, lives on Long Island.
6. Catherine; 7. Phebe.
ISAAC M. HAND, (son of Col. Aaron Hand,) owns the farm adjoining his brother Joseph's, and had children:
2. Mariah Louisa, who died at 9 years.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.