Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
JOEL JONES AND LUTHER JONES.
JOEL JONES came from Massachusetts, about the year 1787. He kept school on Long Hill, and married, 8th July, 1790, Jane Vance, daughter of Kennedy Vance. [See Vance.] He died 13th January, 1792, aged 29 years, leaving one child, Hannah, who died 27th March, 1792, aged 11 months, 11 days.
LUTHER JONES was brother of Joel. He came here the next year after his brother. He was a widower, and kept school near Littell's Tavern. He married, 15th November, 1789, Martha, the widow of John Bedell, and daughter of Peter Bebout. He had children by his 1st wife, in New England. (3d Generation.)
1. Silence, who married, 7th October, 1795, Gershom Mills, son of David Mills, in the Great Swamp. Gershom Mills lived in New York, and had children:
2. Erastus, who married Catherine Bedell, daughter of John Bedell, deceased, the only child of his father's wife, and had children:
Erastus Jones died suddenly, 23d September, 1834, aged 55 years.
3. Wealthy, who continued in New England, and there married Waite Albro, and had children:
4. Ralph, who died 11th March, 1791, at about 10 years of age.
Luther Jones and Martha Bebout had children:
5. Peter Bebout, who went to Maysville, Kentucky, and married there, Elizabeth _____ , and had children: 1. Luther; 2. John; 3. Alpheus; and others who died young. He died 16th October, 1850.
6. Joel, who died 6th October, 1818, aged 19 years.
7. Thomas Darling, who married, 18th August, 1821, Hetty High, daughter of Jacob.
8. Hervy, twin to Abigail, died in infancy, with small pox.
9. Abigail married Joseph Parrot, son of Thomas Parrot, Esq. [See Parrot.]
THOMAS D. JONES, (son of Luther,) and Hetty High, lived in Sterling Valley, and had children: (3d Generation.)
1. Martha Bebout, who married Cornelius Totten, son of John, and had children:
2. Matilda married James White, and had children:
3. Margaret married Jacob Leonard, son of Samuel, of Sterling Valley, and had children:
4. Mary, who died of consumption, 28th September, 1850.
5. Wealthy Anne.
NOTE.--There was a family of Joneses who lived in a stone house, on Stony Hill, a little above where John Marshall now lives, on the opposite side of the road. I have only learned their names, or some of them: Isaac, Stephen, John, Edward, Justus, and Phebe.
I remember Phebe, an aged maiden woman.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.