Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
ALEXANDER MARTIN lived on the south side of Long Hill, below Henry Jennings' and the Washington schoolhouse.
His wife's name was Sarah. He was born 1730, and died 14th March, 1785, aged 55 years. She was born 1737, and died 20th December, 1797, aged 60 years; they had children:
1. Jane, who married James Todd, son of Alexander, of Bedminster, Somerset county. [See Todd.]
2. Sarah married William Ludlow, son of Matthias, of Westfield. [See Matthias Ludlow.]
3. Alexander, Jun., married, 26th Oct. 1788, Mary Darling, sister of Thomas Darling.
4. David married Susannah Shotwell, daughter of John Smith Shotwell, and sister of William Shotwell, of Plainfield, and had no children.
5. Thomas married, 27th March, 1788, Betsey Hedges, daughter of Uriah. [See Hedges.]
6. Anne, who married George Noble, and had a daughter Jane, who married Sylvanus Oakley, son of Ephraim Oakley. [See Oakley.]
7. Samuel married _____ _____ , and went to the West.
JANE MARTIN, (daughter of Alexander,) and James Todd, had children:
1. Alexander Todd, who died in 1849, aged 64 years.
2. Sally married John Norton.
3. William married Catherine Hand, daughter of Jonathan Hand, of Basking Ridge. [See Hand.]
4. James is not married.
5. Anne married John Nesbit, son of James, of Basking Ridge.
THOMAS MARTIN, and Betsey Hedges, had children:
1. Thomas, who married, 14th February, 1822, Rebecca Spinning, daughter of Benjamin, and had children:
2. Dayton, who married Sally Crowel, daughter of Silas Crowel, of Green Village, and had children: 1. Harriet Roberts Martin; 2. William R. Martin.
NOTE. _____ Silas Crowel's wife was Agnes Roberts, daughter of Samuel, son of Samuel Roberts, Sen.
3. Polly married Daniel Hole, son of Charles Hole, Jun., and had children: 1. Sally Hole; 2. Nancy Hole; 3. Thomas Hole. They went to the lakes, N. Y. [See Hole.]
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.