Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
JOHN MAXWELL lived in Westfield, and had children:
1. William, who married, 1st, Abigail Day, daughter of David Day, Esq.; 2d, Elizabeth Baker, daughter of Thomas Baker, Jun.
2. John, 2d.
4. Esther, who married Moses Miller, son of John Miller, Jun. [See Miller.]
WILLIAM MAXWELL, (son of John Maxwell, Sen.,) owned the farm of 99 acres, adjoining on the west that of John Bedell, and probably he, or his father-in-law. David Day, Esq., built the house where Peter Hill now lives. (2d Gen.)
He also owned a tract south of it, extending to the top of Stony Hill. He sold the farm of 99 acres, on the 11th of April, 1761, to Thomas Baker, and removed to or built a house on the north side of Stony Hill, on the other tract now owned in part by John W. Hand, lying east of T. O. Scudder's wood lot.
William Maxwell had children:
1. Sarah, who married Henry Frazee, son of Joseph. [See Frazee.]
2. David Day Maxwell, baptized 13th May, 1764, married Nelly _____ , and removed to Canada.
3. William, Jun., who married Polly Badgley, 28th February, 1792, daughter of Anthony.
4. Polly married, 1st, Isaac Line, son of Capt. William Line, had a son, Isaac Line. Her husband then died, and she married John Willcox, son of John Willcox, Sen.
5. Abigail, who died 12th February, 1846, unmarried, an aged woman.
6. Samuel, who died a young man, unmarried.
7. Elizabeth married, 10th May, 1775, John Prior, son of Andrew. [See Prior.]
8. John, who married near Pluckemin.
9. Jemima, who married _____ _____ .
JOHN MAXWELL, 2d, (son of John, 1st,) had children: (2d Gen.)
1. Nathaniel, who died unmarried, during the revolutionary war.
2. John, 3d, was a mason, learned his trade of Jacob Brittin, of Long Hill, was a captain of the militia, married Eunice Osborn, daughter of John, and in April, 1800, removed to Sussex county.
3. Daniel, who married Abby Potter, daughter of Caleb Potter.
4. Hannah married Aaron Baker, son of Daniel, son of Thomas Baker, 3d. [See Baker.]
CAPT. JOHN MAXWELL, (son of John, son of John, 1-t, of Westfield,) and Eunice Osborn, had children: (3d Gen.)
1. Jacob Brittin Maxwell, born 5th August, 1786, and married 1st, Phebe T. Russel, born 18th March, 1790, daughter of James Russel, of Sussex; 2d, Polly Littell, daughter of William, son of Jonathan Littell.
2. Elizabeth married Luke VanBuskirk, Jun., son of Luke, of Sussex.
3. John Osborn Maxwell married Betsey Carey, daughter of Jacob, of Sussex.
4. Esther married James C. Hagaman, son of Barna Hagaman.
5. Israel Baker Maxwell married Mary Anne Onsted, daughter of John.
JACOB B. MAXWELL, (1st child of Capt. John Maxwell;) now lives in New Providence, and by Phebe T. Russel had a son: (4th Gen.)
1. John T. Baker Maxwell, who married Abigail Higgins, daughter of Davis Higgins.
And by Polly Littell had children:
2. William Newton Maxwell, who died at 25 years, unmarried.
3. Nancy, born 17th February, 1817, who married Samuel Duryee, born 16th November, 1814, son of David, of Newark, and had children:
4. Israel Osborn Maxwell, born 5th August, 1820, and married Charlotte Catherine Strong, born 1826, daughter of Davis Strong, and had children:
JOHN T. BAKER MAXWELL, (son of Jacob B. Maxwell,) and Abigail Higgins, live in New York, and had children: (5th Gen.)
1. Phebe Anne; 2. Louisa; 3. Charlotte; 4. Harriet; 5. Margaret Davis; 6. Addison Weld; 7. Mary.
ELIZABETH MAXWELL, (2d child of Capt. John Maxwell, and Eunice Osborn,) and Luke VanBuskirk, Jun., of Sussex, had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Eunice VanBuskirk, who married Horace Cooper, of Morris county.
2. Mary Anne VanBuskirk married Charles Mackerly, son of Michael, and had children:
3. John M. VanBuskirk married Mary Anne Reed, daughter of Andrew Reed, and has a son William VanBuskirk.
Mr. Luke VanBuskirk, Jun., was accidentally killed by the fall of a tree, and his widow Elizabeth married Mr. Montague, and had a son:
4. Joseph Montague.
JOHN O. MAXWELL, (3d child of Capt. John Maxwell,) and Betsey Carey had children:
1. Phebe married Lausing Predmore, son of Joshua, of Sussex, and removed to Michigan.
2. Jacob Carey married, and removed to Beech Woods, N. Y.
3. Daniel; 4. Rhoda; 5. James; 6. John Maxwell.
ESTHER MAXWELL, (4th child of Capt. John Maxwell,) and James C. Hagaman, had children:
1. Hannah Hagaman, who married Mr. Masker, from Patterson.
2. Jacob Brittin Hagaman married Tebitha Predmore, daughter of Joseph, and cousin of Lansing Predmore, before named.
3. Eliza Hagaman married Daniel Gunderman, son of Peter, of Sussex county.
4. Sarah Ann Hagaman married Mr. Ross, of Sussex.
5. Catherine Hagaman, who died at about 25 years.
6. Margaret Hagaman, who died at about 23 years.
7. Rebecca Frances Hagaman.
8. James Hagaman.
9 and 10. Daniel and Mary Hagaman, twins.
ISRAEL B. MAXWELL, (5th child of Capt. John Maxwell,) and Mary Anne Onsted, had children: 1. Nancy; 2. Esther; 3. John Jacob Maxwell; and then removed to Michigan.
DANIEL MAXWELL, (son of John Maxwell, 2d.) and Abby Potter, were married 5th November, 1789, and had children: (3d Gen.)
1. Phebe, who married Mr. Bishop, near the Scotch Plains.
2. Esther, who married Ephraim Terril, of Westfield.
Abby, the wife of Daniel Maxwell, was drowned in January, 1800, in New York bay, by the upsetting of a sailboat of Elizabethtown, when several others were drowned.
DAVID MAXWELL, (3d child of John, 1st,) lived in Union, and had children: (2d Gen.)
1. John, who married Anna Hubbel, and lived in Union township.
2. Samuel married Ruth Ross, daughter of Daniel Ross, and sister of Phebe, the wife of John Crane, [see Crane, page 104,] and removed to Ballston Springs.
3. Isaac married a daughter of George Scudder, and lived near Union Village, in Passaic Valley, and had children, David and Susan, who went to near Lake Ontario, in Western N. Y.
4. Ruth married Ezekiel Ross, brother of Samuel's wife.
JOHN MAXWELL, (son of David,) and Anna Hubbel, had children: (3d Gen.)
1. Susan, who married Stephen Foster, of Lyons Farms.
2. David, who died at about 58 years, unmarried.
3. Abner, who married Sally Allen, daughter of John, of Union.
4. Nancy, who died at about 64 years, unmarried.
5. Mary, who married Denman Meeker, of Lyons Farms.
6. Esther married Elias Crane, son of John, 4th. [See Crane.]
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2014
Copyright ©1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.