Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
SIMEON MOREHOUSE came up from Elizabethtown, in the time of the Revolutionary war, and lived some time back of Long Hill, North of Peter Rutan's. He then removed to near the Franklin Mill, and subsequently bought of Jeremiah Ludlow, or his heirs, the farm on which his son Amos now lives. He married Rebecca Meeker, daughter of James Meeker, of Elizabethtown, [see Meeker,] and had children: (2d Gen.) [See end of file for additional information about Simeon Morehouse]
1. James, who died 12th October, 1784, aged 6 years.
2. Betsey, born Jan. 1780, and married Joseph Ludlow, son of Obadiah, Jun. [See Ludlow.]
3. Hannah, who died 13th October, 1784, aged 3 years.
4. David, born 1st April, 1783, and married Sally Walker, daughter of Asher. [See Walker.]
5. Samuel, who died in infancy.
6. Amos, born 15th April, 1786, married, 9th May, 1811 [by Rev. Elias Riggs, New Providence, Groom of New Providence; Bride of Chatham; Morris County Marriages Book B] , Phebe Noe, born 13th May, 1790, daughter of John.
7. Hannah 2d, who died at 17 years.
8. Nancy married, 13th May, 1810, Moses Lum, son of Stephen, [see Lum,] lived in Newark.
9. Fanny married, 18th September, 1815, Amos Lum, brother of Moses, [see Lum,] lived in Newark.
10. Polly married John Marsh Parsons, son of David. [See Parsons.]
Simeon Morehouse died 4th May, 1836, aged 81 years; his wife died 16th December, 1839, aged 86 years.
DAVID MOREHOUSE, (son of Simeon,) and Sally Walker, lived on Long Hill, and had children: (2d Gen.)
1. Asher Woodruff Morehouse, who married Eliza Anne Whitehead, daughter of Samuel, of Morristown.
2. Jonathan Walker Morehouse married Mary Anne Tyack, daughter of John, of New York, lives in Elizabethtown.
3. Arnon, who went to Mobile, and married Mary _____ , and lives there.
5. David Jun., married Mary Condit, daughter of Haines Condit, of Morristown, and lives there.
6. Sally Anne.
AMOS MOREHOUSE, (son of Simeon,) and Phebe Noe, lives where his father did, and had children:
1. David Noe Morehouse, who died a young man, unmarried.
2. John A. Morehouse, who married Julia Anne Wilber, of Brooklyn.
3. Mary, born 23d March, 1817.
4. James M., born 2d Feb. 1820, married, 1st, Susan M. Kinney, daughter of John, and had a son, Horace Beach, born 10th October, 1844; his wife Susan died 30th March, 1848, and he married, 2d, 20th March, 1850, Henrietta Van Kirk, daughter of Nathan.
5. Elias Riggs Morehouse, born 4th December, 1824.
JAMES MOREHOUSE, was son of David Morehouse, of Canoe Brook, near Cheapside, in Livingston township. He married, 1st, _____ _____ , a daughter of Capt. Enos Baldwin, of Cheapside, and had a son,
Baldwin Morehouse, who married Polly Potter, daughter of Noadiah, of Ohio. The first wife of James Morehouse, died; and he married, 26th Nov. 1788, Mary Potter, daughter of John, [see Potter,] and had other children:
3. Esther, who married Joel Kennedy, and lived at Hamilton, Ohio; he died _____ .
4. Amos; 5. Betsey; 6. Aaron; 7. Moses; 8. Nancy.
Mr. Morehouse removed to Warren county, Ohio.
Genelogical Magazine of New Jersey, Vol. 3, No 1, July 1927, p27:
Morehouse, Simeon (buried at Presbyterian Churchyard at New Providence)
Men from Morris County New Jersey who served in the American Revolution, compiled by Barbara Hoskins, Friends of the Joint Free Public Library of Morristown and Morris Twp, Morristown, New Jersey, 1979:
Morehouse, Simeon b. 3 May 1751 d. 4 May 1836
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.