Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
WILLIAM PARSONS, Esq.
WILLIAM PARSONS, Esq. came to Passaic Valley from Long Island, and settled on lot No. 13 of the Elizabethtown lots, first owned by William Broadwell, where J. H. Parsons lived. He was born 1710, and died 4th October, 1765, aged 55 years. His wife's name was Deborah, who died 5th Feb. 1792, very aged. They had children: (2d Gen.)
1. Deborah, who married David Potter, son of Daniel Potter, as a first wife.
2. William, Jun. who married Mary Searing, of Connecticut Farms. He died 10th Nov. 1792. She was born 2d Sept. 1734, and died 16th August, 1815. They had children: (3d Gen.)
1. Samuel, born 21st February, 1757, and married Polly Crane, daughter of Isaac. He died 25th Dec. 1822. She died 12th Nov. 1850, aged 90 years.
2. Sally, born 10th Dec. 1758, and died 17th Aug. 1831, aged 73 years. She married Capt Samuel Potter, son of Col. Samuel Potter, and removed to Lamington. [See Capt. Samuel Potter.]
3. Jacob Searing, born 7th Jan. 1761, and married, 21st March, 1785, Sally Bonnel, daughter of Benjamin Bonnel, Esq.
4. Daniel, born 10th Nov. 1762, married, 21st March, 1785, Sarah Woodruff, daughter of Matthias Woodruff of Chatham, and went to Ohio.
5. Jonathan, born 7th Nov. 1764, married, 30th December, 1790, Elizabeth Allen, daughter of Daniel Allen. He died 9th Sept. 1821, aged 57 years. She died 4th July, 1844.
6. Elizabeth, born 14th Feb. 1767, married, 17th Feb. 1786, Samuel Cory, of Westfield. He died 1st March, 1810, and she married George Townley. She died 6th May, 1847, without children.
7. David, born 28th Nov. 1768, married, 23d Dec 1789, Jane Osborn, daughter of Jonathan Howel Osborn. She died, and he married, second, Hannah Sturgis, of Green Village. She died, and he married, third, Deborah Mott, who died 18th July, 1829, aged 52 years. He died 10th Nov. 1849, aged nearly 81 years. He had no children by his third wife.
SAMUEL PARSONS, (son of William, Jun.) and Polly Crane, had children: (3d Gen.)
1. Chloe, who died 7th April, 1788, when young.
2. Polly married, 1st Dec. 1811, Parker Parcel, of Springfield, and had children: (4th Gen.)
3. Lewis, who died 6th April, 1789, aged 5 years.
4. Isaac Crane Parsons died 24th March, 1849, unmarried.
5. Sally, who married John Coddington, and had a daughter,
6. Chloe, who married Aaron McKinstry, son of John, of Lamington, and had children:
7. Betsey, who married Jonathan Ketchum, lived in Newark, and had children:
8. Squier, who married Eliza Jennings, daughter of David, and had children:
Mrs. Eliza Parsons died January 5th, 1852.
JACOB SEARING PARSONS, (son of William, Jun.,) lived where his father did. He and Sally Bonnel had children: (3d Gen.)
1. William, who died a young man, unmarried.
2. Benjamin, who married Fanny Willcox, daughter of William, son of Noah Willcox; lived in New York. (4th Gen.)
3. Nancy married John Anderson; lived in New York.
4. James Hervey married, 20th Sept 1812, Betsey Doty, daughter of James; lived where his father did. He died 1st March, 1846; his wife died 10th Dec. 1832, aged 42 years; they had children: (5th Gen.)
5. Mariah married David Howel of Morris county. He was Elder of the church of New Providence.
6. Electa, who did not marry.
JONATHAN PARSONS, (son of William, Jun.,) lived where his son, Luke, now does; he and Elizabeth Allen, had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Eliphalet, who married Nancy Parcel; removed to Baltimore, and has children: 1. Ira, born 1812, and died at 3 years; 2. Ira, 2d, who died at 23 years; 3. Elizabeth, who died at 5 years; 4. Lewis; 5. Francis Asbury; 6. Harriet, who died at 3 years; 7. Joseph; 8. Stephen; 9. Harriet, 2d; 10. Anna; 11. John, who died at 1 year.
2. Samuel Cory, who married Abigail Parrot, daughter of William, Jun.; had a son, John Parsons, and died.
3. Charlotte married Thomas Squier, son of Stephen. [See Squier.]
4. Luke, who lives where his father did; he married, 1st, Eliza Halsey, daughter of John Halsey, of Morristown, and had children: (5th Gen.)
His wife Eliza, died 27th June, 1827, aged 25 years, and he married, 2d, Eliza Halsey, daughter of Henry Halsey, 3 miles east of Morristown, a cousin of his first wife, and had a son.
His 2d wife, Eliza, died 9th Feb. 1838, aged 40 years, and he married, 3d, Eliza Walker, daughter of Miller, by whom he had no children.
5. Anne, born 16th Dec. 1805, and married, 10th March, 1827, David Coddington, son of Archibald, of Mount Horeb; lived at Plainfield, and had children:
6. Mary, who married David C. L Rounsavelle, son of Peter, and grandson of Nathaniel Littell, Esq and had one son, Daton Rounsavelle, and died in Baltimore, 20th October, 1840, where they lived. [See Nancy Littell, daughter of Nathaniel Littell, Esq.] (3d Gen.)
7. Jonathan, who went to Baltimore; he was born 12th January, 1812, and married Mary Anne Marr, born 7th Nov. 1813, daughter of Thomas Marr, and half sister of D. C. L. Rounsavelle's 2d wile, and had children:
DAVID PARSONS, (son of William, Jun.) had children: (5th Gen.)
1. Lewis, born 23d March, 1790, and went to Ohio.
2. John Marsh, born 30th June, 1791, and married, 12th March, 1820, Polly Morehouse, daughter of Simeon; live on Stony Hill, and had children: 1. William; 2. Eliza Anne, who married, 16th November, 1848 Elias Osborn son of Stephen B. Osborn' [see Osborn;] 3. John L.; 4. Nancy M. who married, 16th November, 1848, Ezra Reeve, of Newark; 5. Rebecca.
3 Polly, born 25th May, 1794, and married Samuel Marsh, of Westfield.
4. Rhoda, born 24th March, 1796, and died young.
5. Esther, born 18th March, 1798, is not married.
6. Deborah, born 15th July, 1800, is not married, she lives with Maj. J. Potter.
7. Howel, born 4th July, 1803; he went away, they know not where.
8. William, born 9th March, 1807, and died young.
MATTHIAS PARSONS lived in this Valley. I know not that he was of kin to William Parsons or his family. He married Mercy Shaw, sister of Richard Shaw, and had children: 1. John, baptized 25th May, 1788; 2. Abigail, baptized 25th May, 1788; 3. Phebe, baptized 25th May, 1788; 4. Mary, baptized 26th June, 1791. Mr Parsons, with his family, removed to the Big Miami River, Ohio.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2014
Copyright ©1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.