Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
JONATHAN RUCKMAN lived on Stony Hill, south of David Smalley, Esq. He married Sarah Allen, daughter of Joseph Allen, Jun. and had children: (1st Gen.)
1. Stephen, who married, 12th March, 1794, Esther Dobbin, of Cauldwell.
2. Nathan, born 1777, married Hannah Alward, daughter of Benjamin Alward.
3. David married Betsey Coon, daughter of Capt. Israel Coon, and had no children.
4. Levi married Jane Leforge, daughter of Abraham, and died 16th October, 1844.
5. Jonathan, who died a young man, unmarried.
6. Phebe married John Cory; lived on the 2d mountain, south east of Mount Bethel.
7. Joseph, married, 1st, Mary Alward, sister of Nathan's wife; 2d, Sally Kelly, of Mount Horeb. He had children: 1. John; 2. Josiah; 3. Elisha; 4. Joseph; 5. Eliza. And by his 2d wife, 6. Jonathan; 7. David.
STEPHEN RUCKMAN, (son of Jonathan,) and Esther Dobbin, had children: (2d Gen.)
1. Sally, who married Samuel Dixon, of Washington Valley.
2. Betsey married Isaac Morehouse, of Livingston, and went to Indiana.
3. Phebe married Isaac Coddington, son of Achibald, of Mount Horeb.
4. Hetty, who went to Indiana with Isaac Morehouse, and died.
5. Isaac married Nancy Winans, of Washington Valley.
6. Stephen, Jun. went to Indiana, and married there.
7. Jane married William Buck, near Germantown, Hunterdon county.
8. Thirza married John Buck, of the same place.
9. Ellen married Abraham Bryant, of the same place.
NATHAN RUCKMAN, (2d child of Jonathan,) and Hannah Alward had children:
1. William, who died at about 24 years, unmarried.
2. David N., born 21st April, 1804, who married 1st, Jane Stevens, daughter of James Stevens, and had 1, a son James; his wife then died, and he married, 2d, Hannah P. Bonnel, daughter of Stephen C. Bonnel, son of James, and had children: 2. William. 3. Nancy; 4. Hannah; 5. David; 6. Bern; 7. Lemuel. 8. Stephen C. Bonnel. [See Bonnel.]
3. Rachel married Francis Vaughn, and went to North Western Pennsylvania.
4. Hannah, who died at 18 or 19 years, unmarried.
5. Sarah married Charles Foster, son of Silas Foster, of Chatham.
LEVI RUCKMAN, (4th child of Jonathan,) and Jane Leforge, had children:
1. Martin, born 27th October, 1811, married Jane Dow, of Bedminster, born May, 1806. They had children:
2. Sarah married Joseph F. Tilyou, and obtained a divorce from him.
3. Eliza married Jefferson Moore, son of Jesse, of Mount Bethel, and had children: 1. Harriet Moore; 2. Wesley Moore; 3. Mary Jane Moore; 4. Jacob Moore; 5. Jonathan Moore.
4. Deborah married Jacob Ludlow, son of Joseph. [See Ludlow.]
5. Harriet married Lewis Noe Miller, son of Lewis. [See Miller] She had one son, Levi Miller, and died.
6. Jenette married David Bird, son of John, of Mount Bethel, and had children: 1. Harriet Bird; 2. Jacob Bird; 3. Levi Bird.
7. Mary married, 23d June, 1849, Watson Bird, son of Elias, and had children; 1. John Henry Bird; 2. _____ .
PHEBE RUCKMAN, (6th child of Jonathan,) and John Cory, had children:
1. Daniel Cory, who married Rachel Willet, daughter of Jonathan, of Warren, and had several children.
2. Jonathan Cory, who married Mary Titus, daughter of William, and had children: 1. Elizabeth Cory; 2. Maryette Cory; 3. Phebe Cory; 4. Anne Jane Cory. Both Daniel and Jonathan Cory have been members of the legislature, from Somerset county.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.