Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
JOHN SIMPSON came from Long Island, and settled on No. 27 of the Elizabethtown lots, above the 1st mountain, drawn by Daniel Potter, where John M. Parsons, now lives; he had children, Alexander and John, and died 10th July, 1773.
ALEXANDER SIMPSON, (son of John,) married Elizabeth _____ ; she died 2d April, 1768, and he died 1st May, 1768; he was an elder in the presbyterian church; they had children: (2d Gen.)
1. Simeon, who married, 1st, Mary _____ ; she died 21st January, 1774, and he married, 2d, 6th June, 1775, Sally Rutan, daughter of Abraham, and removed to Washington county, Pennsylvania, and died there.
2. Abraham, who died 29th March, 1770.
3. Stephen, who went west with Simeon.
4. Nancy married, 1st, Mr. Ayers; 2d, Mr. Rhodes.
5. Mary married, 14th November, 1775, Capt. Nathaniel Bonnel, as his 2d wife. [See Bonnel.]
JOHN SIMPSON, (son of John,) lived where his father did; he married Sarah Carle, of Millstone; and died 9th May, 1786, aged 60 years; they had children:
1. Margaret, who married Jonathan Howel Osborn, son of John, Sen. [See Osborn.]
2. Lynche, called also Magdalen, who married, 26th March, 1774, Samuel Waldron, and went to French Creek, Pennsylvania.
3. John 3d, married Susan Drake, near Scotch Plains.
4. Abraham married Jane Pierson, had a son Jacob, and went to Ohio.
5. Isaac married Rachel Drake, sister of John's wife.
6. Jacob married Sally Turner, of Morristown; lived at Hanover, and had no children.
7. Anna married 13th May, 1789, as a 2d wife, Samuel Miller, and had children:
Samuel Miller died 3d July, 1793, and she married, 2d, Sept. 20th, 1795, Moses Badgley, as his 2d wife, and went to Ohio; and had children: 3. Ephraim Badgley; 4. Hugh Badgley. Moses Badgley had by his first wife, 1. Benjamin, who married Miss Street; 2. Sally married Ephraim Simpson.
8. Sally married Enoch Badgley; had a daughter Sarah Badgley, who died 23d April, 1784.
9. Alexander, born 2d May, 1763, married 8th May, 1788, Elizabeth Cauldwell, daughter of William, and in 1815, went to Dayton, Ohio; he died in March, 1833. She died 3d February, 1829.
10. Ephriam went to Ohio, lives in Green county, and married Sally, a daughter of the above named Moses Badgley, by his first wife, and had an only daughter, Cynthia, who married William Thegley; lives in Indiana, and had several children.
11. William married, 6th April, 1796, Betsey Woodruff.
JOHN SIMPSON 3d, (son of John, son of John,) and Susan Drake lived where his father did, and had children: (4th Gen.)
1. William, who married Sally Brown, daughter of John, of Stony Hill, and had children: 1. Jane; 2. John; 3. Pamela, and then removed to the west.
2. Effa, who married Ephraim Griffin, son of Timothy, [See Griffin.]
3. John 4th, who married his cousin _____ _____ , a daughter of Samuel Waldron.
4. Sally married, 18th March, 1809, Stephen Whitehead Beach, son of James Beach, of Livingston, and went to French Creek.
5. Israel married Jane Heuston, daughter of Henry Heuston, of Belleville, and lived there.
ISAAC SIMPSON, (son of John, son of John,) and Rachel Drake lived by Salt Brook, where Ambrose Tailor now lives. He died 14th July, 1829, aged 72; she died 25th June, 1838, aged 78 years. They had children:
1 Susannah, who married James Beach, of Livingston, above named.
2. Catherine married Elias Bonnel, son of James, son of John. [See Bonnel]
3. Sally married Stephen C. Bonnel, brother of Elias.
4. Ephraim, who went to Ohio.
5. Jonathan Drake married Hannah Spinning, daughter of Benjamin. He left her, went to Honesdale, Pennsylvania, obtained a divorce, and married again.
6. Jacob married _____ _____ .
7. Rachel married, 1st, Simeon Hanford, from Connecticut, and had children:
She married, 2d, Ambrose Tailor, and had other children:
Mr. Tailor died 15th January, 1852.
ALEXANDER SIMPSON, (son of John, son of John,) and Elizabeth Cauldwell lived where David A. Oakley now lives, and had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Aaron, born 19th February, 1792, married Jemima Scudder, daughter of Jesse Scudder, of Springfield.
2. Moses, born 5th September, 1793, married Eliza Baker, daughter of Aaron Baker, Esq. of Dayton, Ohio.
3. Polly, born 22d March, 1795, married Benjamin Spinning, Jun. son of Benjamin. [See Spinning.]
4. Electa, born 3d June, 1800, married David Stout, an iron monger, of Dayton.
5. Betsey, born 8th April, 1803, and died 27th September, 1818.
AARON SIMPSON, (son of Alexander,) and Jemima Scudder lived near Hamilton, Ohio, and had children:
2. Elizabeth, who married Stephen Crane, son of Moses Crane and Sarah Miller, daughter of Jacob. [See Jacob Miller.]
3. John; 4. Mariah.
MOSES SIMPSON, (2d son of Alexander,) and Eliza Baker, lived in Dayton, Ohio, and had children:
1. Electa Emeline, who married Seth Crowel, of Dayton, and had children: 1. Charles Elmore Crowel; 2. Moses Simpson Crowel; 3. David Baker Crowel; 4. Florence Eliza Crowel; 5. Silas Simpson Crowel.
2. Elizabeth, who married Robert Allen, of Dayton, and had children:
3. Jane Mariah Fuller, who married George W. Morris, and had children: 1. Amelia Morris; 2. Charles Morris; 3. Ira Morris; 4. Mahlon Morris.
4. Silas Maxwell Baker.
5. Aaron Baker Alexander, who died 20th July, 1839.
ELECTA SIMPSON, (4th child of Alexander,) and David Stout, had children:
1. Elias Riggs Stout, who married Lydia Britton.
2. Atlas Lacock Stout, who married Virginia Crane.
3. Phebe Stout, who died at 5 years.
4. Moses Simpson Stout, who died at 24 years.
5. Elizabeth Stout; 6. Henry Stout; 7. Orin Stout.
8. Ira Stout.
WILLIAM SIMPSON, (11th child of John, son of John.) and Betsey Woodruff, had children: (3d Gen.)
1. Nancy, who married Robert Ball, of Hanover, Morris county.
2. Eliza, who married Samuel Woodruff, of Hanover.
3. Mahlon, who married Hannah LeHomedeau, of Warren Co. and had children: Alexander and Israel; Mahlon died, and his widow married William D. Bedford. [See Bedford.]
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2014
Copyright ©1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.