Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
Tradition in the Thompson family says that three brothers, Moses, Aaron, and Hur Thompson emigrated from Scotland to America: that one of them, (probably Moses,) settled in Pennsylvania; one in Connecticut, and that liui settled in Elizabethtown.
Moses, Thomas and Hur Thompson were among the first settlers of Elizabethtown and their names are in the first list of the "Elizabethtown Associates," respecting their tract of land, of some 500,000 acres, purchased of the Indians, as recorded in the "Old Book of Records" in Elizabethtown.
In the year 1699, there was a town meeting held in Elizabethtown, of all the Associates then living, and "those holding under them, or some of them," and among these is the name of John Thompson, who is the only Thompson therein named.
And in the same "Old Book" John Thompson and Samuel Thompson are said to be sons of Hur Thompson. It may reasonably be inferred then that Hur Thompson was the father of John Thompson, who was probably the father of Thomas Thompson, who was born 25th Jan 1712, and died 2d Nov. 1803, aged 91 years, 9 months and 8 days. He survived his 2d wife just one week. Tradition also says that Thomas had a brother, John Thompson.
JOHN THOMPSON, (son of Hur Thompson,) had seven children. He lived a short distance east of the residence of the late General William Crane, about two miles west of Elizabethtown. The seven children were: (2d Gen.)
1. Thomas, who married 1st. Hannah Rushmore, of Hempstead, Long Island; 2d, Rachel Shotwell, widow of Benjamin, of Piscataway.
2. Moses, who settled near the Church, in Connecticut Farms, and died there.
3. Aaron, who settled on Long Hill, in Morris county, and died in the time of the French war.
4. Hannah, who married Thomas Baker, and with him removed to Turkey, now New Providence, Essex county. [See Baker]
5. Sarah married 1st, Mr. Van Sickle, of Long Hill, and had a daughter, Elizabeth, who married Jacob Britton, son of William. [See Britton.] Sarah married 2d. Mr. Rutan, who had a son. Peter, who lived in Albany, N. Y. She married 3d, James Enos, or Innes, of Long Hill.
6. Patience married Mr. Willis, of Short Hills, in Westfield township, and had children, but her descendants are not now known.
7. Betsey married William Cauldwell, son of James, of Long Hill. [See Cauldwell.]
THOMAS THOMPSON. (son of John,) lived in Union Township, near Rahway River, and owned the mills below Springfield. He and Hannah Rushmore had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Mary, who married, 1st, John Lamb. [see Lamb;] 2d, Matthias Hetfield by whom she had no children.
2. Lavina, born 6th July, 1734 and died young.
3. John married Lucy Woolcott, of Connect cut.
4. Abigail, who died in infancy.
5. Abigail 2d, married 1st, Moses Littell. [See Moses Littell, son of Benjamin;] 2d, John Seabring.
6. Hezekiah married 1st, Jane Ross; 2d, Jane Woodruff.
7. Abner married Mary Ross and died July, 1815.
8. Phebe, born April, 1748, and died 29th October, 1836. She married first, John Littell, son of Benjamin. [See Littell;] 2d, Benjamin Frazee, a grand-son of Benjamin Littell.
9. Sarah, born 9th Nov. 1750, and died 28th Jan 1842; she married, 1783, James Ross, Esq. son of John, as his 2d wife.
10. Hannah, born 23d Nov. 1753, and died 27th Feb. 1778. She married James Ross, Esq., son of John, as his 1st wife. [See Ross.]
11. Carman married Patience Headley.
Thomas Thompson, by his 2d wife Rachel, had,
12. Aaron, born 19th Dec. 1760, and died 3d July, 1792. He married Aletta Potter, daughter of Matthias Potter.
13. Rachel, born 31st Jan. 1763. married 1st, Noah Marsh; 2d, John Potter, and removed to Redstone.
14. Chloe, who married Ephraim Price, of Elizabethtown.
15. Hur, born 9th July, 1767; died at about 18 or 19 years.
JOHN THOMPSON, (son of Thomas,) and Lucy Woolcott had children: (5th Gen.)
1. Caleb, who married 1st, Mary Jennings; 2d, Phebe Blake.
2. Phebe married Anthony Fountain, son of Vincent, of Staten Island.
3. John married Martha, daughter of David, and widow of Carman Thompson.
4. Abby, who died in 1838, aged 64 years, unmarried.
5. Hepsibah married Ephraim Marsh, son of Ephraim, of Westfield.
6. Josiah Woolcott married Hetty Merrel, of Staten Island, and lived there.
7. Lucy married 1st, Andrew Hennel; 2d, Jacob Burbank, had no children.
8. Chloe married James Hallet, of Westfield.
9. Julia, born 22d Aug. 1784, married Caleb Jeffreys, son of Caleb, of Union.
10. Asa Lay married Hannah Sayre, daughter of Benjamin, of Union.
11. Thomas Rushmore married Joan Quigley, daughter of Capt. Aaron Quigley.
CALEB THOMPSON, (1st child of John.) and Mary Jennings, had children: (6th Gen.)
1. Sarah, who married Stephen Woodruff son of Gabriel.
2. William, who went to sea when about 22 years old, and did not return.
3. John; 4. Aaron; 5 David Smith; 6. Asa Woodruff.
PHEBE THOMPSON, (2d child of John,) and Anthony Fountain, had children:
1. Amy Fountain, who married Mr. Houseman as his 2d wife.
2. John Fountain married Keziah _____ , and had four children.
3. Charles Fountain married Jane Van Pelt; had eight children.
4. Mary Fountain died at about 30 years, unmarried.
5. George Fountain died at about 10 years.
JOHN THOMPSON, (3d child of John,) and Martha Thompson, had children: 1. Phebe Anne; 2. Elizabeth, and others.
HEPZIBAH THOMPSON, (5th child of John,) and Ephraim Marsh, had children:
1. Betsey Marsh, who married Jacob Stein.
2. Lucy Marsh married Joseph Christie.
3. Abigail Marsh married Mr. Schrever, of New York.
4. Caroline Marsh married Jesse Wood, of New York.
5. Edwin Marsh.
JOSIAH W. THOMPSON, (6th child of John,) and Hetty Merril live on Staten Island, and had children:
1. William, who married _____ _____ .
2. Mariah; 3. John married twice.
4. Josiah married Miss Pool.
5. George married Sophia _____ .
CHLOE THOMPSON, (8th child of John,) and James Hallet had children: (6th Gen.)
1. Aaron Gilbert Hallet, who died at about 21 years.
2. Polly Hallet, who married Adonijah Holbrook.
3. Susan Hallet married Philander Webb.
4. John Hallet married _____ _____ .
5. Lcuy Anne Hallet married William Fowler, and had a daughter, Elizabeth Fowler.
6. Catherine Hallet.
7. James Hallet married _____ _____ .
JULIA THOMPSON, (9th child of John,) and Caleb Jefferys, had children:
1. Isaac Morse Jefferys, who married Sarah Potter, daughter of John.
2. Jane Eliza Jefferys married Jeremy Jagger, son of Stephen, and had no children.
3. Henrietta Jefferys married David C. Baldwin, son of Phinehas.
4. Lucy Anne Jefferys married Josiah Miller, son of Enoch, of Westfield.
5. Sarah Thompson Jefferys married Abraham W. Baldwin, son of David C., son of elder Thomas Baldwin.
6. Rachel Reeve Jefferys married Samuel Ketchum, son of Samuel.
7. Caleb Henry Jefferys left home in 1834, and did not return.
ASA L. THOMPSON, (10th son of John,) and Hannah Sayre, had children:
1. Julia Anne. 2. Hepzibah, who died at 12 years. 3. Elizabeth. 4. Asa Ferdinand.
5. William Baldwin, who died at 17 years.
6. Josiah, who married Catherine _____ _____ , of New-York.
7. Hannah, who died at about 18 years.
8. Thomas, who died at about 3 years.
THOMAS R. THOMPSON, (11th son of John,) and Joan Quigley, had children:
1. Betsey Anne.
2. Aaron Quigley, who married Theodocia Sayre, daughter of James, son of Ephraim, of Madison; 3. John; 4. Charity; 5. Thomas; 6. Henry Radley; 7. Mary.
AARON QUIGLEY THOMPSON, (2d child of Thomas R.,) and Theodocia Sayre, had children: 1. Joan Elizabeth; 2. Theodocia; 3. Sidney; 4. Mary Kate.
HEZEKIAH THOMPSON, (6th child of Thomas,) and Jane Ross, lived on Rahway River, in Union Township, and had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Mary, who married Benjamin Gardner.
2. Sarah married Benjamin Crane 3d. (See Crane.)
3. Moses married, 1st, Esther Bonnel, daughter of Henry; 2d, Polly Winans, daughter of Joshua.
4. Jacob, who died young.
And by his second wife, Jane Woodruff, had,
5. Jacob 2d, 6 Thomas, 7. Isaac, who all three died young.
8. Jane, who had a daughter Mary Anne, who married David Totten, son of John. [See Totten.]
9. Nancy married Daniel Lacy, son of Samuel. [See Lacy.]
10. Betsey married Jesse C. Baker, son of Jonathan 1. [See Baker.]
11. Phebe married Robert Earl; he died 15th May, 1848. and left children: 1. John Earl. 2. Mary Elizabeth Earl.
MARY THOMPSON, (1st child of Hezekiah,) and Benjamin Gardner, had children: (5th Gen.)
1. Hezekiah Thompson Gardner married in Baltimore and died in Alabama.
2. Jane Ross Gardner married Ephraim Broadwell, son of Simeon, and lived in Dayton, Ohio. He died 13th Feb. 1849. [See Appendix.]
3. Phebe Gardner married Theophilus Eaglesfield, brother of Wooldridge Eaglesfield, and has children:
4. Noah Gardner married Sarah Baker.
5. Polly Gardner married Caleb Scudder.
6. Jacob Gardner married Sarah Miller, of Black River.
7. Moses Gardner married Phebe _____ , and had children: 1. Benjamin. 2. Mary. 3. John. 4. Hezekiah T.
8. Sally Gardner married Wm. Hall, and had children: 1. Hampton Hall. 2. Julia Hall. 3. George Hall.
9. Thomas Gardner.
10. Carman Gardner.
MOSES THOMPSON, (3d child of Hezekiah,) and Esther Bonnel, had children:
1. Nancy, who married John Searing.
2. Jane married Wm. Baker, son of William. [See Baker.]
And by his 2d wife, Moses Thompson had children:
3. Sally, who married James Anderson, son of Andrew, of Springfield, and had children:
4. Hezekiah married Mary Birt, daughter of Jacob, and had children: 1. Henrietta. 2. Ellen Louisa. 3. Hezekiah.
5. Jacob married Phebe Ayers, daughter of Daniel, and had children: 1. William Ayers. 2. Moses. 3 Mary Ayers.
6. Mary married Mitchel Anderson, brother of James, and had children: 1. George Anderson. 2. Moses Thompson Anderson.
7. Hetty, born 27th June, 1810, married Oliver Wade, born 23d April, 1804, son of Uzel, and had children:
8. Aaron married Phebe Marsh, and had children: 1. Mary. 2. William Henry.
ABNER THOMPSON, (7th child of Thomas,) and Mary Ross, had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Joseph. 2. Smith. 3. Daniel.
4. Hannah, who married Jacob Woolley, Sen. of Springfield, and had children:
CARMAN THOMPSON, (11th child of Thomas,) and Patience Headley, had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Mary, who married Peter Bennet, of New Brunswick.
2. Sarah married Mr. Pettenger, of New Brunswick.
3. Carman married _____ , and died in Albany.
AARON THOMPSON, (12th child of Thomas,) and Aletta Potter, had children:
1. Martin E. who married Mary Kitchel, daughter of the Hon. Aaron Kitchel, of Morris county, and lived in New York.
2. Aaron married Eliza Ryerson, daughter of Judge Ryerson, of Pompton, lived in New York, and had no children.
MARTIN E. THOMPSON, (son of Aaron,) and Mary Kitchel, had children:
1. Elizabeth, who married Henry Beach, of Hanover, had no children.
2. Susan married her cousin James Price, son of Thompson.
3. Matilda married Mr. E. Tomkins.
5. William, who went to California.
6. Mary Emma married Henry Munson, of Long Island.
7. Charles; 8. Edwin; 9. Henrietta.
RACHEL THOMPSON, (13th child of Thomas,) and Noah Marsh, of Westfield, had one daughter, Harriet, who married Mr. Leonard, of Bound Brook. And by John Potter, she had two daughters. Mr. Potter removed to Redstone, Pennsylvania, and there his daughters married two brothers, by the name of Potter, from New Providence, and removed to Ohio.
CHLOE THOMPSON. (14th child of Thomas,) and Ephraim Price, had children:
1. Thompson Price, who married Miss James; lived in New York.
2. David Price, who was murdered about 1826, on his way from Texas to Mexico.
3. Rachel Price married Mr. Belknap, of New York.
4. Mary Price married Mr. Condit, son of the Rev. Aaron Condit, late of Hanover, and soon after died.
AARON THOMPSON, (brother of Thomas and Moses Thompson,) came up, and settled on Long Hill, on lot No. 31 addition of the Elizabethtown lots. He had children: (3d Gen.)
1. Joseph. (See remarks under Anthony Littell.)
2. Thomas, who married, 1st December, 1763, Abigail Ross.
3. Patience married, 27th September, 1767, Matthias Sayre, son of Isaac Sayre, of Springfield. [See Sayre.]
THOMAS THOMPSON, (son of Aaron,) and Abigail Ross lived on Long Hill, where Joel D. Thompson now does, and had children:
1. Polly, who married Samuel Parrot, son of William, Sen. [See Parrot.]
2. Aaron married, 20th June, 1807, Keziah Dunham, daughter of John Dunham, Jun.
3. Joanna married, 3d July, 1791, Noah Beach, of Hanover Morris county.
4. Patience married, 20th October, 1795, Phinehas Beach, brother of Noah.
5. Moses married Hannah Potter, daughter of Amos, Esq.
AARON THOMPSON, (son of Thomas, son of Aaron,) and Keziah Dunham, had children:
1. Joel Dunham, born 7th April, 1808, and married Paulina Mulford, daughter of William Mulford, and had children:
2. Hester, died 17th Aug. 1844, in her 33d year, unmarried.
3. William, who married, and went to Louisville, Kentucky.
4. Aaron married Lavina Smith, and went to Louisville.
Aaron Thompson died 15th November, 1737, aged 71 years. Keziah, his widow, died 5th December, 1748, aged 68 years, 5 months.
MOSES THOMPSON, (son of Thomas,) lived on part of his father's farm; he and Hannah Potter had children:
1. Elizabeth, who died 12th November, 1823, aged 24 yrs.
2. Jotham Potter, died 12th Sept. 1828, aged 25 years.
3. Thomas, who married in New York, Martha Baker, and removed to Peoria county, Illinois.
4. Hannah married John K. Swift, of Sing Sing, N. Y. and live there.
5. Sarah C. who died 28th February, 1846, aged 36 years.
6. Mary; 7. Susan.
8. Amos married, 19th May, 1850, Catherine Doty, daughter of Sylvester Doty.
The three latter went in May, 1847, to Peoria.
Moses Thompson died 10th June, 1844, aged 69 years.
His wife Hannah died 3d January, 1838, aged 60 years.
TIMOTHY THOMPSON was born in 1709, and was son of Thomas Thompson, and probably the same Thomas Thompson, named as one of the "Elizabethtown Associates." (1st Gen.)
It is not known that he was of kin to Hur Thompson.
Timothy Thompson married Sarah Sallee, lived in Connecticut Farms, and had children: Daniel, Benjamin and Jabez. He died 27th September, 1780, aged 71 years.
DANIEL THOMPSON, (son of Timothy,) married Euphemia Badgley, lived in Passaic Valley, and had children:
1. Timothy, who married Sarah Enyart, daughter of Benjamin.
2. Benjamin married Betsey Lewis, daughter of Isaac, and sister of Richard Runyon's wife.
3. William, who died 27th March, 1789.
4. Sally married Rufus Enyart, brother of Timothy's wife.
5. Effa married Job Mulford, son of Davis, son of Job. [See Mulford.]
6. Betsey married William Barrack, of Licking Co. Ohio.
7. John, who died in youth.
These last three were twin-born.
8. Polly married Mr. McFane, in Licking county, Ohio.
9. David, who died in Ohio, a young man.
Daniel Thompson and his family, and Benjamin Enyart's family, went to Ohio, about 1800.
BENJAMIN THOMPSON, (son of Timothy,) married Hannah _____ , who died 15th April, 1790, aged 26 years, leaving children, Henry and Nancy. He removed to Ohio, and married as his 2d wife, Rachel Enyart, daughter of Benjamin.
JABEZ THOMPSON, (son of Timothy,) was born 19th November, 1759, married Mary Jones, of Lyons Farms, and had children:
1. John, born in May, 1788, and married 16th July, 1816, Huldah G. Stites, daughter of Capt. Abner Stites.
2. Elias I. married, 6th June, 1811, Nancy Lewis, daughter of Isaac Lewis, and sister of Richard Runyon's wife; they live in Newark.
Jabez Thompson died 31st March, 1835.
JOHN THOMPSON, (son of Jabez, son of Timothy,) and Huldah G. Stites, had children: 1. Jabez, who died a young man; 2. Silas Stites; 3. Jane Stites; 4. Caroline Elmer; 5. Ezra Fairchild.
Mr. Thompson's wife, Huldah, died 21st Aug. 1832, aged 36 years, and he married Hannah Cooper, sister of the Rev. William H. Cooper, son-in-law of Elias I. Thompson. He lives in Madison county, New York.
ELIAS I. THOMPSON, (son of Jabez,) and Nancy Lewis had children:
1. Mary, born 16th March, 1812, and married, 20th July, 1831, the Rev. William H. Cooper, now pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Wampsville, Madison county, New York, and had children: 1. Harriet Augusta Cooper; 2. Emma Josephine Cooper; 3. Elias Thompson Cooper; 4. Edward Payson Cooper.
2. Martha, born 4th Dec. 1813, and married, 8th May, 1839, Jacob F. Reemer; lives in Newark, N. J., and had children: 1. Harriet Thompson Reemer; 2. Charles Henry Reemer; 3. Anna Matilda Reemer; 4. John Reemer.
3. Harriet Newel, born 8th March, 1816, married, 3d Aug. 1842, the Rev. William W. Holloway, who is now pastor of the Reformed Dutch Church at Amity, Saratoga county, N. York, and had children: 1. William Whiteman Holloway; 2. Harriet Newel Holloway.
4. George Washington, born 10th Oct. 1819. He graduated at Rutgers' College, New Brunswick; studied theology; married, 6th Oct. 1845, Mary Anne Stilwell, daughter of James Stilwell, of New Berlin, Union county, Pennsylvania, and is pastor of the Presbyterian church at _____ , in Juniatta county, Pennsylvania, and has a child, Charles.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2014
Copyright ©1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.