Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
JOHN TOWNLEY, Esq. was born in England, in the year 1400 (2d Gen)
Nicholas Townley, the third son of John Townley, Esq. lived in the county of Palatine, of Lancaster. His wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Catteral, Esq. of Catteral, relict of William Tempest, son of Roger Tempest, Esq. Lord of the Manor of Broughton. (3d Gen)
Richard Townley, Esq. son of Nicholas Townley, was reader of Grays Inn, in the fourth year of the reign of Henry VIII. His wife was Margaret, the daughter of John Clark, of Wazley, by which marriage royalty came into the Townley family (4th Gen)
Nicholas Townley, Esq. of Royall, county of Palatine, was son and heir of Richard Townley. He married Anne, daughter of Sir Hugh Vaughan, of Littleton Place, Middlesex, Privy Councillor of Henry VII and VIII. (5th Gen)
Francis Townley, 3d son of Nicholas Townley, was of Littleton Place, being left heir of his great uncle, Francis Vaughan, Esq. He married Catherine, daughter of Thomas Foster, Knight, one of the Justices of the Court of Common Pleas at Westminster, in the reign of James 1st. (6th Gen)
Nicholas Townley, Esq. of Littleton, son of Francis Townley, died June 3d, 1687. He married Joanna, daughter of William White, Esq. of Northaim, county of Sussex, and squandered his fortune. (7th Gen)
Col. Richard Townley, 8th son of Richard Townley, went to America in the suite of Lord Effingham Howard, governor of Virginia, in the year 1683. He settled in Elizabethtown, New Jersey.
The foregoing account of the Townley family was sent to this country in 1769, by Charles Townley Clarence, of London, Knight York Herald and King of Arms.
Col. Richard Townley was one of the Privy Council of deputy governor Lord Neil Campbell, in 1686. He left two sons, Charles and Effingham Townley.
CHARLES TOWNLEY, Esq. (son of Col. Richard Townley,) was born 1686, and died, 2d September, 1756, in his 70th year. Abigail, his widow, died 31st December, 1759. They were both buried in St John's church yard, in Elizabethtown; they had children: (8th Gen)
1. Effingham, who married Miss Rebecca Crane; he was born about 1710, married in 1735, and died about 1789.
2. Sarah or Abigail, who married John Herriman; their only daughter married Moses Hetfield.
3. Mary married Stephen Burrows; their only daughter married Anthony Morss.
4. Anne married Joseph Tooker, and had four sons, Charles, Joseph, Abner, and John Tooker.
5. Elizabeth married, 27th August, 1760, Caleb Crane, and left children:
EFFINGHAM TOWNLEY, (son of Charles,) and Rebecca Crane had children: (9th Gen)
1. Richard, who was born 22d or 27th August, 1736, and died 4th August, 1801; he married 1st, Rachel Carpenter, born 15th December, 1733, and died 1764; 2d, Rhoda Clark, born 4th December, 1743, and died 21st July, 1823.
2. Catherine married Joseph Denman, of Springfield.
3. Joanna, who died in infancy.
4. Abigail married Mr. Pendergrass, of Philadelphia.
5. Peggy married Stephen Baker, and died in 1802.
6. George, who died in infancy.
7. Sarah married John Sayre, son of Joseph Sayre, of Elizabethtown, and died in 1815.
8. Mary married Jeremiah Jaggers.
9. Charles married 1st. Hannah Thompson, and died in 1802; 2d, Sarah Thompson, the widow of Moses Earl; 3d, _____ _____ , the widow of Timothy Miller.
10. George 2d married Martha Baldwin, daughter of Capt. Enos Baldwin.
11. Joanna 2d married John Donahoe, of Philadelphia, and died in 1804.
12. John married Phebe Bonnel, and died in 1801.
13. Jane married Daniel Osborn.
RICHARD TOWNLEY, (1st son of Effingham, son of Charles,) and Rachel Carpenter, had children: (10th Gen)
1. James, born 29th June, 1760, and was killed with a scythe, in 1772.
2. Rachel, born 12th December, 1763, married Henry Norris, and died 16th November, 1824; she had three children, who all died young.
Richard Townley by his 2d wife, Rhoda Clark, had children:
3. Jonathan, born 13th October, 1766, married, 11th December, 1787, Phebe Magie, daughter of John.
4. Phebe, born 20th October, 1768, married 28th January, 1788, Elder David Magie, son of John.
5. Clark, born 26th November, 1770, married 1st, Phebe Sale, daughter of Daniel Sale, Sen.; 2d, Emily Potter, daughter of Matthias Potter.
6. Rebecca, born 22d May, 1772, married Benjamin Haines, of Elizabethtown.
7. Rhoda, born 12th April, 1774, and died in 1776.
8. Sarah, born 26th October, 1776, married William Crane, Esq. son of Joseph. [See Crane.]
9. Elizabeth, born 22d August, 1780, married Jonathan M. Meeker, Esq. son of Isaiah Meeker, of New Providence, and had no children.
JONATHAN TOWNLEY, (3d child of Richard, son of Effingham, son of Charles,) and Phebe Magie were married 11th December, 1787; he died 29th September, 1827; they had children: (11th Gen)
1. Richard, who married Hannah Wade, daughter of Jonas Wade, Esq. of Springfield.
2. Jonathan, Jun. married his cousin Rhoda Magie, daughter of elder David Magie, of Elizabethtown, and had no children.
3. Phebe, twin to Jonathan, married Col. William Brown, of Elizabethtown.
4. Mary married Samuel Pierson, son of Deacon Pierson, of Union.
5. John married Eveline Nutman, daughter of Daniel, of Elizabethtown.
6. Rebecca married Ichabod Ogden, son of Ezekiel, of Elizabethtown, and had children:
RICHARD TOWNLEY, (son of Jonathan,) and Hannah Wade, had children: (12th Gen)
1. Robert, who married Miss Baldwin, daughter of Johnson Baldwin.
2. Jonas Wade.
3. Phebe O. married, 20th November, 1851, Henry Meeker.
4. Harriet married Alexander Ball, son of David, of Newark.
6. Richard, who died in February, 1848, aged about 16 years.
NOTE.--Robert, Jonas, and James went to Fort Wayne, in Indiana, and are merchants there.
PHEBE TOWNLEY, (4th child of Richard, son of Effingham, son of Charles,) and Elder David Magie had children:
1. Rhoda Magie, who married her cousin Jonathan Townley, Jun. [See Townley]
2. David Magie married, 1st, Margaret Van Vechten, of Somerville, and had children:
His wife then died, and he married, 2d, Gertrude Frelinghuysen, daughter of General John Frelinghuysen, of Somerville, she died without children, and he married, 3d, Margaret Delneau, and had children:
3. Betsey Magie.
4. Phebe Ogden Magie married Lewis F. Day, son of Foster Day, of Elizabethtown, and had children:
5. Mary Meeker Magie married Rev. Joseph Cory, son of Mulford, son of Elder Benjamin Cory, of Elizabethtown; he is a presbyterian minister, settled in New Vernon; they had children, David Magie Cory, and others.
CLARK TOWNLEY, (5th child of Richard, son of Effingham, son of Charles.) and Phebe Sale, had children: (11th Gen)
1. Susan, who married Robert Meeker.
2. Daniel married Sarah Headley.
3. Richard; 4. Edward; 5. Mary.
And by his 2d wife, Emily Potter, had other children: 6. Jonathan; 7. Sally Anne.
REBECCA TOWNLEY, (6th child of Richard, son of Effingham, son of Charles Townley,) and Benjamin Haines had but one son, Richard T. Haines, who married Mariah Johnson, daughter of John Johnson, grocer, of New York; lived in Elizabethtown, and had children:
1. William A. Haines, who married Miss Stagg.
2. Benjamin Haines.
3. Elizabeth Haines.
4. Sarah Halsted Haines married, 22d May, 1850, Samuel Knox, of New York.
5. John Johnson Haines.
6. Mary L. Haines married, 20th February, 1851, her cousin William M. Halsted, Jun son of William M. Halsted, merchant, New York.
7. Stewart Haines.
SARAH TOWNLEY, (8th child of Richard, son of Effingham, son of Charles Townley,) and William Crane, Esq. had children:
1. David R. Crane, who married Phebe Anne Hallam, daughter of Lewis, of New York.
2. Agnes Crane married Rev. Curtis Tally, a methodist minister, and had a daughter, Helen Williams Tally.
3. Richard T. Crane married Jane T. Dollbeer, of Union, and had children: 1. Theodore T. 2. Frederick T.
4. Joseph W. Crane married 1st, Harriet J. Willcox, daughter of Ezekiel, and had a daughter, Harriet Jemima Crane; his wife died, and he married 2d, Emma S. Brookfield, daughter of Lewis P. Brookfield, of Spring Valley, and had children: 2. Lewis W. Crane; 3. Charles Augustus Crane.
5. Jonathan T. Crane, who graduated at Princeton college, and became a methodist minister, is principal of the Pennington male seminary, at Pennington, N. J. He married Mary Helen Peck, daughter of George Peck, D. D. of New York, and had children: 1. Mary Helen Peck, and others.
SARAH TOWNLEY, (7th child of Effingham, son of Charles,) and John Sayre had children: (10th Gen)
1. Samuel Sayre, who married Polly Parker.
2. Joseph Sayre married Betsey Alesworth.
3. John Sayre married Mary Jewel.
4. Job Sayre, who died in infancy.
5. Ezekiel Sayre married Sally Bonnel, daughter of John, near Chatham. [See Bonnel.]
6. Abigail Sayre married William Reid.
7. Nathan Sayre married Abigail Southwell.
SAMUEL SAYRE, (1st son of John Sayre and Sarah Townley,) and Polly Parker had children:
1. Joanna Sayre, who married Daniel Pierson, of Newark, and had an only daughter, who married and lives in N. York.
2. Job Sayre married Phebe Crane; have no children.
3. Sally Sayre married Aaron Crane, and has one son.
4. Polly Sayre married Granville Tower, and had children:
5. Joseph Sayre, who married in Cincinnati; lives there, and has several children.
6. Nathan Sayre, who married a Mrs. Watkins, formerly Miss Gillam; has four children, all married, and live in N. Y.
7. John Sayre, who died unmarried.
8. Phebe Sayre married Benjamin Coe: lives in Connecticut, and has many children.
JOSEPH SAYRE, (2d son of John Sayre, and Sarah Townley,) and Betsey Alesworth had 8 children, only one of whom is living, Samuel Sayre, who married Elizabeth Telfair, and had 7 children.
JOHN SAYRE, (3d son of John Sayre and Sarah Townley,) and Mary Jewel had ten children, only two of them are living: (10th Gen)
1. James Hervey Sayre, who married Hannah Williams, and have 5 children.
2. Walter F. Sayre, who married Rachel Luster, and had 3 daughters.
EZKEIEL SAYRE, (5th son of John Sayre and Sarah Townley,) and Sally Bonnel had children:
1. Electa Sayre, who married Stephen Bowers, son of Daniel.
2. Catherine Sayre, who died at about 35 years, unmarried.
3. David Sayre married Mary Spencer, daughter of Samuel, son of William Spencer, Esq.
4 John Edgar Sayre.
5. Lewis Sayre.
ABIGAIL SAYRE, (6th child of John Sayre and Sarah Townley,) and William Reid had children:
1. Margaret Reid, who married William Bonnel, of Union, and had several children.
2. Isabella Reid, who married Joel Searing.
3. John Joseph Reid.
4. Sarah Reid.
NATHAN SAYRE, (7th child of John Sayre, and Sarah Townley.) and Abigail Southwell lived in Elizabethtown, and had children:
1. Joanna, who married Wickliff G. Broadwell, son of Jacob G. Broadwell, son of Hezekiah, [See Broadwell.] They have no children.
2. George T. Sayre married Eliza Bonnel, daughter of Sylvanus, son of John. He is a merchant of Madison, Morris county; has two children.
3. Sally Sayre.
4. Caroline Sayre.
5. Edward Sayre married Miss Rosette; had one child. His wife died, and he went to Illinois, and married again, and has other children.
6. Jane Sayre.
7. Francis Sayre married Susan Price, daughter of Edward, of Elizabethtown.
8. Albert Sayre married a Miss Sayre, of Newark, and lives there.
CHARLES TOWNLEY, (9th child of Effingham, son of Charles Townley,) and Hannah Thompson had but one son: (10th Gen)
1. Stephen, who married Elizabeth Bryant, daughter of Simeon Bryant, of Springfield.
And by his 2d wife, Sarah Thompson, had children:
2. Rebecca, who married Jacob Denman, son of Jacob, of Springfield.
3. Moses married Jane Lum, daughter of Clark Lum, of Union. And by his 3d wife, Mrs. Miller, had children:
4. Charles, who went to Washington, and married and died there.
5. George, who went away and has not returned.
6. Fanny married William Sanders, and lives at Mendham.
STEPHEN TOWNLEY, (1st son of Charles,) and Elizabeth Bryant had children:
1. William, who became a Presbyterian minister. He married Eliza Barton, daughter of John Barton, of Elizabethtown, and sister of the Rev. William B. Barton, of Woodbridge; is settled in Indiana, and has no children.
2. Charles, who died at about 20 or 21 years.
GEORGE TOWNLEY, (10th child of Effingham, son of Charles Townley,) and Martha Baldwin, removed from Connecticut Farms, in March, 1797, and bought of Thomas Scudder, a farm of 100 acres, near Union Village, in Passaic Valley, where they lived and died.
He was born 20th June, 1755, and died 28th September, 1840 She was born 30th November, 1755, and died 22d May, 1810, and Mr. Townley married, 2d, Elizabeth, the widow of Samuel Cory, and daughter of Williiam Parsons. She died 6th May, 1847, without children. [See Parsons.] They had children:
1. Joanna, born 23d Nov. 1774, and married Samuel Headley, of Union.
2. David, born 20th March, 1777, married, 1st, Mary Tucker, daughter of James Tucker, 2d, Mary Marsh, daughter of Joseph Marsh, of Morristown.
3. George, who died 30th March, 1808, aged 24 years.
4. Effingham, who died 26th July, 1807, aged 21 years.
5. Phebe, born 14th January, 1789, married, 30th June, 1808, David Jaques, of New-York.
6. Martha, who died 25th April, 1812, at 18 years of age, unmarried.
7. Enos Baldwin, who married, first, Sally Bonnel, daughter of Bellows Ben. Bonnel; second, Abigail Deforest, of Connecticut. [See Bonnel.]
JOANNA TOWNLEY, (1st child of George,) and Samuel Headley, had children: (11th Gen)
1. Phebe Headley married Richard Merrel, and had no children.
2. Hannah Headley married William S. Headley, son of Cary Headley, and had children:
3. Samuel Headley died a young man, unmarried.
4. Martha Headley married Caleb Miller, son of Nathaniel, and had children:
5. George I. Headley died a young man, unmarried.
6. Davis Headley married Susan Ball, daughter of Ezekiel, son of Timothy, and had children:
7. Mary Headley married Ewel Freeman, of Westfield, and died soon after, aged 18 years, without children.
DAVID TOWNLEY, (2d child of George,) and his first wife, Mary Tucker, had children:
1. Mary, who died a young woman, unmarried.
2. Martha married Squier Parrot, son of William. [See Parrot.] And by his second wife, Mary Marsh, had a son.
3. George, who married Mary Stuchfield, an English girl, and lives in New-York.
PHEBE TOWNLEY, (5th child of George,) and David Jaques, lived in New York, and had children:
1. William Jaques.
2. Phebe Jaques, who married John W. Lewis, and had children: 1. Charlotte Augusta Lewis; 2. Philo Lewis; 3. Francis Lewis; 4. Edward Lewis.
ENOS B. TOWNLEY, (7th child of George,) and Sally Bonnel, had children: (11th, 12th Gen)
1. Joanna, who married Mr. Noe, went to Ohio, and died.
2. David E., born 5th April, 1815, who married Hannah Eliza Mulford, born 5th January, 1812, daughter of William, and had children: (13th Gen)
3. Hannah Mariah married Jacob Jeroloman, of Newark.
4. Effingham married Mary Elizabeth Squier, daughter of Thomas, son of Stephen Squier, and had children: 1. Emily Parsons; 2. Montery Tailor; 3. Helen Flora.
5. Elizabeth married William Stevens, above Morristown.
6. Enos married Jane Wilson, of New York.
Enos B. Townley, by his 2d wife, Abigail Deforest, had children: 7. Mary; 8. Moses B.; 9. Susan; 10. Martha; 11. George; 12. Joanna 2d.
EFFINGHAM TOWNLEY, (son of Col. Richard Townley,) left two sons: (8th Gen) 1. Richard; 2. Effingham, Jun.
RICHARD TOWNLEY, (son of Effingham,) was born 18th December, 1720, and married Catherine Anderson, 14th April, 1747, and had children:
1. William, born 21st January, 1748, died 2d May, 1749.
2. William 2d, born 15th May, 1750.
3. Rebecca, born 13th July, 1751, and died 13th Aug. 1751.
4. Walter, born 28th June, 1752.
5. Rebecca 2d, born 11th August, 1754.
6. Sarah, born 10th January, 1757.
7. Effingham, born 1st August, 1759.
EFFINGHAM TOWNLEY, JUN., (son of Effingham,) was born 11th December, 1729, and married in 1750, Jemima Earl, and had children:
1. Evetts, born 8th August, 1751.
2. Henry, born 1st February, 1754.
3. Joshua, born 24th August, 1757.
4. James, born 7th July, 1760.
5. Charles, born 30th March, 1762.
6. Richard, born 31st January, 1764.
7. John, born 9th September, 1766.
EVETTS TOWNLEY, (1st son of Effingham, Jun.,) had a son Isaac, who had a son Clark, whose wife was Rachel, and lived near Jeffersons Village, and had children: (10th Gen)
1. Margaret, born 1826.
JAMES TOWNLEY, (4th son of Effingham Townley, Jun,) had children: (10th Gen)
1. Matthias married, 1st, Nancy Searing, daughter of John, of Union; 2d, Johannah Smith, daughter of Walter, of Springfield.
2. Edward married, 1st, Miss Burrows; 2d, Abigail Price.
3. William married _____ _____ .
4. Else married Cornelius Badgley.
5. Sally married William Higgins.
MATTHIAS TOWNLEY, (1st son of James,) and Nancy Searing had children: (11th Gen)
1. William, born 17th Dec 1775, married Margaret Tucker, daughter of Jacob, born 30th Oct. 1780.
2. Sally, who died unmarried.
3. Nancy married Ephraim Rino, of Short Hills.
4. Betsey married Elias Morgan, of Elizabethtown.
5. Sarah married David Allen, son of David. [See Allen.]
6. Edward married Anna Hamilton, daughter of David.
Matthias Townley, by his 2d wife, Johannah Smith, had children:
7. Isaac married Mary Collins.
8. Keziah married Mr. Evans, of Newark.
9. John Clark, who died at 25 years, unmarried.
10. Abby married Daniel Clark, son of Ichabod.
11. Smith, who did not marry.
WILLIAM TOWNLEY, (son of Matthias,) and Margaret Tucker had children: (12th Gen)
1. Matthias, born 20th Jan. 1798, married Hannah Smalley, daughter of David I., and had four children: 1. William; 2. David; 3. Huldah; 4. Harriet.
2. Alfred married Mary, widow of Cornelius Frazee, and daughter of John Tilyou; had no children.
3. Sally, who died Dec. 1st 1805, aged 3 1/2 years.
4. Piatt, born 6th May, 1804, married Sophia Mollidore, of Philadelphia, and had children: 1. Margaret; 2. Hannah: 3. George; 4. Susan; 5. Alonzo.
5. David, born 12th Oct. 1806, married Susan Clark, daughter of Stephen, of Westfield.
6. Sarah, born 12th Nov. 1808, married John McIntire, son of James, of New Brunswick, and had children: 1. William McIntire; 2. Ellen McIntire; 3. John Henry McIntire; 4. James McIntire.
7. Alexander, born 11th May, 1811, married Mary Samos, daughter of Charles, of Dover, Morris county, and had children: 1. William; 2. Anne; and died at about 24 years.
8. Amos, born 8th Aug. 1813, married Mary Tunison, near Somerville, and had a daughter, Mary.
9. William Mills, born 24th Jan. 1816, married his cousin. Joanna, daughter of Edward Townley, and had a son, George. His wife, Joannah, died and he married, 2d, Martha Scudder, daughter of Abraham, and had a son, Silas Crane.
10. Anne, born 28th Jan. 1818, married Josiah G. Winn, from Connecticut, and had children: 1. Isaac Newton Winn; 2. Susan Emeline Winn; 3. Mary Elizabeth Winn; 4. Matilda Fairchild Winn; 5. Ellen Mansville Winn; 6. George Henry Winn.
11. Hannah, born 9th March, 1820, married Thomas Seaman, son of Joshua, and had children: 1. Thomas Jefferson Seaman; 2. Margaret Anne Seaman; 3. Hannah Mariah Seaman; 4. Stephen Franklin Seaman; 5. Harriet Newe Seaman.
EDWARD TOWNLEY, (6th child of Matthias,) son of James, and Anna Hamilton lived in Westfield, and had children: (1th Gen)
1. John Hamilton Townley, who became a Presbyterian Minister; settled in Morristown. He married Cornelia Searing, daughter of James Searing, of Newark.
2. Joanna, who married her cousin William Townley, son of William. (13th Gen)
3. David, who died at the age of 24 years.
4. Anne Elizabeth married Lewis Bunn.
5. William, who died 20th Dec. 1848, aged 23 years.
6. Israel married Mary Whitehead, daughter of Enos Littell Whitehead, of Elizabethtown.
8. Mary Louisa.
10. Almira, who died at 4 years.
11. Gertrude, who died at 2 years.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2014
Copyright ©1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.