Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
RICHARD VALENTINE owned Nos. 35 and 44 of the Elizabethtown lots, and lived on No. 44, where Israel B. Long now lives. This lot contained 184 acres, and extended over the Mountain, and adjoined Peter Willcox's tract, lying west of it. It also adjoined the Pettit tract, No. 45, lying west of Valentine's. He married Phebe Haines, and died 10th March, 1766, aged 63 years; his widow, Phebe, then married William Miller, of Westfield; and after his death, she returned to her former homestead, on Stony Hill, and died there, 21st May, 1783, aged 76 years. Richard Valentine and Phebe Haines had children:
1. Jonah, who married Susannah Bedell, daughter of John Bedell, Jun.
2. Ephraim married Rhoda Price, sister of Abraham Price. [See Ephraim Tucker.]
3. Obadiah married, first, Mary Mulford, daughter of Capt. Jonathan Mulfor d; 2d, Elizabeth, the widow of William Maxwell, and daughter of Thomas Baker, Jun.; 3d, Elizabeth, 16th Feb. 1786, widow of Benjamin Day, Esq., and sister of Phebe, the wife of Peter Davison, the father of John R. Davison, of Newark, and also sister of Samuel Roberts, Sen., children of Daniel Roberts.
4. Phebe married John Miller 3d, of Westfield, son of John, Jun. [See Miller.]
5. Mary married, first, Henry Clark, of Westfield; 2d, Sylvanus Oakley, son of David. [See Oakley.] She married, 19th Jan. 1789, 3d, David Cammel, and died 7th March, 1795, aged 61 years.
6. Elizabeth married, 19th Sept. 1767, Benjamin North.
7. Rachel married William Baker. [See Baker]
8. Sarah, twin to Rachel, died 26th June, 1768, aged 26 years, unmarried.
JONAH VALENTINE, (1st child of Richard,) and Susannah Bedell had children:
1. Jemima, who married, 11th July, 1784, William Woodruff, of Westfield.
2. Samuel, who died in his 19th year.
3. Martha married Joseph Marsh, of Rahway.
4. Phebe married Andrew Joline.
5. Susannah married John Long. [See Long.]
6. Joseph married Temperance Littell, daughter of Andrew.
7. Benjamin, who died in his 14th year.
8. Lydia married Brown Brookfield; lives on the north side of Long Hill; is a widow; she had no children.
9. Esther married John Bloomfield.
10. Sarah married, 2d Jan. 1790, David Littell, from Ireland, and removed to Lebanon, Ohio.
JOSEPH VALENTINE, (6th child of Jonah.) and Temperance Littell, (daughter of Andrew,) had children:
1. William; 2. Martha; 3. Samuel; 4. Jeremiah; 5. Joseph, Jun.
JEREMIAH VALENTINE, (4th child of Joseph.) married Ruth Terry, daughter of Jonathan Terry and Huldah Van Sickle, and had children: [See page 383]
1. Lucy Anne; 2. Abigail; 3. Erastus Lewis; 4. Temperance; 5. Joseph; 6. Andrew; 7. Susan; 8. Ruth.
EPHRAIM VALENTINE, (2d child of Richard,) and Rhoda Price had children:
1. Benjamin, who married Polly Briant.
4. Sarah married Israel Martin.
5. Abigail married Dennis Woodruff.
ELIZABETH VALENTINE, (6th child of Richard,) and Benjamin North had children:
1. Mahala North.
2. Ruth North, who married, 1st, Mr. McCloud, of Philadelphia; 2d, Richard Ogden, son of Nathaniel. She had no children.
OBADIAH VALENTINE, (3d child of Richard,) lived on lot No 35 of the Elizabethtown lots, where Israel Doty now lives; he and his first wife, Mary Mulford, had children:
1. Esther, who married, 18th May, 1783, Levi Willcox, son of William. [See Willcox.]
2. William married, 1st April, 1787, Joanna Crane, daughter of Joseph, Sen. and went to Ohio.
3. Jonathan married. 10th April, 1791. Abigail Day, daughter of Benjamin Day, Esq. and daughter of his father's 3d wife.
4. David married, 23d September, 1792, Sarah Day, sister of Jonathan's wife, and went to Dayton, Ohio; [see Aaron Baker.] He had a daughter Nancy, who married Lewis Broadwell, son of Simeon, of Dayton, and had a son Jonathan, who married, and lives in Piqua, Ohio.
5. Levi, who died at 14 years of age.
6. Daniel married Miss Winans, of Union, and went to Dayton, Ohio.
Mary, the wife of Obadiah Valentine died 9th June, 1777, aged 36 years. And by his 2d wife Elizabeth, the widow of William Maxwell, he had,
7. Mary, who went to Ohio, and there married John Craig, in 1805.
His 2d wife, Elizabeth died, 13th September, 1785, and he married Elizabeth, the widow of Benjamin Day, Esq. and daughter of Daniel Roberts. by whom he had no children
He died 19th May, 1788, aged 48 years; his widow died 4th October, 1830, aged 82 years.
JONATHAN VALENTINE, (son of Obadiah,) and Abigail Day, had chidren:
1. Benjamin, who died 29th July, 1787.
2. Betsey, born 1st December, 1791, and died 25th August, 1792
3. Peter Davison, born 20th October, 1793, married, 28th November, 1812, Abigail Rutan, daughter of Joseph Rutan; she was born 19th March, 1794.
4. Sarah; 5. Phebe; 6. William, who all three died in infancy.
Mr. Jonathan Valentine died 18th April, 1801, aged 35 years.
And his widow married John Schureman; she died 3d Sept. 1817, aged 47 years.
PETER D. VALENTINE, (son of Jonathan, son of Obadiah,) and Abigail Rutan, had children:
1. Jonathan, born 19th September, 1814, and married, 25th July, 1838, Mary Littell, daughter of John Littell, Esq.
He was elected a member of the legislature in 1849, and again in 1850; he has served 5 years as a justice of the peace.
2. Hannah, born 3d November, 1816, and died 6th July, 1820.
3. Abraham, born 4th October, 1818, married, 12th March, 1840, Harriet Meeker, daughter of Isaac Meeker; she died 16th June, 1843, aged 31 years, and he married Debby Anne Willcox, daughter of Ezra.
4. Elizabeth. 5. Daniel Rutan.
6. William married, 19th February, 1852, Caroline Amanda Stout, daughter of Elijah Stout, of Kingston, Somerset county.
7. Sarah, who married, 17th October, 1849, Jacob D. Mulford, son of William. [See Job Mulford.]
JONATHAN VALENTINE, Esq. (son of Peter D. Valentine,) and Mary Littell, had children:
1. Samuel Rutan, born 13th July, 1839.
2. Luther Littell, born 30th September, 1842.
3. Eliza Littell, born 13th November, 1845.
4. William, who died in infancy.
5. John, born 21st November, 1849, and died 22d January, 1850.
6. Mary Abigail, born 14th July, 1851.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2013
Copyright ©1999-2013 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.