Source: Family Records or genealogies of the first settlers of Passaic Valley and Vicinity above Chatham, with their ancestors and descendants, as far as could be ascertained in 1851. By John Littell, 1851.
PETER WILLCOCKSE came from England, and settled between the mountains, on a hill known to this day as "Peter's Hill," on the north side of Blue Brook, a little above Feltville, 6th January, 1736,-7. There was surveyed to him there, by Joseph Morss, surveyor for the "Elizabethtown Associates" 424 acres of land, lying along the east branch of Green Brook, called Blue Brook; Feltville is situated on this tract. (2d Gen.)
The Rev. Mr. Hunting, in his history of the Parish of Westfield, says that "this Parish was settled about the year 1720, by the English, and that James Badgley and Peter Willcox located on the mountain before any persons settled below, because it abounded in heavy timbet."
Peter Willcockse married Phebe Badgley, sister of James and John Badgley, lately from Long Island, and had children:
1. Peter Willcox, Jun, who married Betsey Miller.
2. William, who married, 1st, Miss Howel: 2d, Betsey Hole, sister of Charles Hole.
3. John married Massy Ross; he died 22d November, 1776, aged 49 years.
4. Stephen married Polly Carter, and lived near Elizabethtown.
5. Sarah married Joseph Allen, Jun. of Washington Valley. [See Allen.]
PETER WILLCOX, Jun. and Betsey Miller, had children: (3d Gen.)
1. David, who died young.
2. Noah, who married his cousin, Rachel Willcox, daughter of William.
3. Betsey married Benjamin Stites, son of William. [See Stites.]
4. Hannah married, 5th December, 1764, John Frazee, son of Joseph.
5. Sabera married her cousin, Ephriam Miller, of Westfield.
6. Polly married Benjamin Hedges, son of Uriah, Jun.
7. Joanna married Benjamin Lyon, son of Peter. [see Lyon.]
NOAH WILLCOX, (2d son of Peter, Jun.) and Rachel Willcox, had children: (4th Gen.)
1. David, who married Polly Hedges, daughter of Gilbert, and had no children.
2. William married Betsey Raddin, daughter of Jeremy
3. Joanna, born 15th February, 1783, and married, 1st Reuben Frazee; 2d, Edward Page.
4. Cornelius married Abby Corwin, daughter of Stephen.
5. Betty married Ahijah Badgley, son of Jonathan. [See Badgley.]
6. Noah, Jun. married Lockey Leonard, daughter of John.
WILLIAM WILLCOX, (2d son of Noah,) and Betsey Raddin, had children: (5th Gen.)
1. Fanny, who married Benjamin Parsons, son of Jacob Searing Parsons.
2. Nancy married William Littell, son of Henry, son of Jonathan Littell. [See Littell]
3. Charlotte, who died in infancy.
JOANNA WILLCOX, (3d child of Noah,) and Reuben Frazee had children:
1. Lockey Frazee, who had a son, Robert Dunlap, who married Joanna Whittlesey, of Plainfield.
2. Abby Frazee married Jeremy Raddin, son of William.
3. Eliza Frazee, who died at about 7 years.
4. William Frazee married Margaret Roseboam, daughter of Garret Roseboam, of Plainfied.
5. Jane Frazee married Merton Osborn, of Clinton.
6. John Frazee, who died at about one year.
7. Mary Frazee died at about 7 years.
8. John Frazee married Jane _____ , of Long Island; lives in Newark.
9. Andrew J. Frazee, who died in infancy.
CORNELIUS WILLCOX, (4th child of Noah,) and Abby Corwin, had children:
1. Harriet, who married Sears Hetfield.
2. Isaac married Sarah Dunham, daughter of Samuel, of Liberty Corner.
3. Ezra married Sarah Baker, of Elizabethtown.
4. Amos married Hannah Rino, daughter of Charles.
5. Mary married Edward Darcy Pennington, son of William, of Dead River.
6. Aaron; 7. Anne.
BETSEY WILLCOX, (5th child of Noah,) and Ahijah Badgley had children:
1. Mary Badgley, who married Carlisle Miller.
2. Eliza Badgley married Erastus Miller, brother of Carlisle. 3. Noah Badgley.
NOAH WILLCOX, Jun, (6th child of Noah,) and Lockey Leonard, had children:
1. Eliza, who married Absalom Martin Moffett, and had children: 1. Bryan Moffett; 2. Caroline Moffett; 3. Mary Moffett; 4. John Moffett; 5. Lavisa Moffett; 6. Emma Moffett.
2. Phebe married Byram Darlin, son of William, and had children: 1. John Darlin; 2. Susan Darlin; 3. Rachel Darlin; 4. Clarence Darlin.
3. Charlotte married Dennis Moffett, son of Absalom Moffett, and had children; 1. Elizabeth Moffett; 2. Albert Moffett; 3. Harriet Moffett; 4. Henry Moffett.
5. Caroline married Samuel Ball, son of David, of Union, and had children: 1. Emma Ball, and others.
6. John; 7. Albert; 8. Noah, 3d. 9. Mary Anne. 10. Amanda.
WILLIAM WILLCOX, (2d child of Peter Willcockse,) and Miss Howel had children: (3d Gen.)
1. William, Jun., who married, 13th Sept. 1767, Phebe Osborn.
2. Levi married, 18th May, 1783, Hester Valentine, daughter Obadiah. He died 2d March, 184 She died 7th June 1833.
3. Benjamin married Mary Mills, of Westfield.
4. Cornelius, who died unmarried.
5. Sabera married, 9th Aug. 1770, David Broadwell, of Rahway
6. Elizabeth married, 26th Jan. 1767, James Hall.
7. Polly, who died young.
8. Phebe married, 3d May, 1770, Joseph Jennings, west of Mount Bethel.
9. Lucretia married Jeremy Raddin. [See Raddin.]
10. Sarah married, 30th May, 1776, David French. [See French.]
11. Rachel married her cousin Noah Willcox. [See Noah Willcox.]
LEVI WILLCOX, (son of William,) and Esther Valentine had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Mary, who married, 1st, Anthony Doty, son of Joseph Doty 3d; 2d, Joseph Wilson, brother of Jacob Wilson, of Morristown
2. Rachel married William Van Blarcum, of Paterson, and lives there.
3 Jonathan Mulford married Sally Tucker, daughter of Moses. She died 24th August, 1849.
4. Levi, Jun. married, 1st, Huldah Crane, daughter of John Crane, and removed to Covington, Indiana. He married, 2d, in Indiana, Clarissa Norris.
MARY WILLCOX, (daughter ofL evi,) and Anthony Doty had (5th Gen.)
1. Betsey, who married John W. Hand, son of Nehemiah, and had no children.
By Joseph Wilson, she had children:
2. Robert Turner who married, 1st, Mary Wood, daughter of Daniel S. Wood, Jun.; 2d Harriet Brookfield, daughter of Job Brookfield, Esq., of Morristown. He is a marble cutter, and a Justice of the Peace, and Judge of the court.
3. Rachel, who married William Boylan, of Newark.
JONATHAN M. WILLCOX, (son of Levi,) and Sally Tucker had children:
1. John Tucker, born 16th Nov. 1814, and married, 16th May, 1848, Harriet Littell, daughter of John Littell, Esq., and had one child:
2. Silas married Sarah Anne Drake, daughter of Jonathan, and had children: 1. Sarah Anne; 2. Jonathan M.
3. Hetty is unmarried.
LEVI WILLCOX, Jun., (son of Levi,) and Huldah Crane had children:
1. David Bartine, who died at about 20 years.
2. Annar married, 1st, _____ _____ ; 2d, Mr. Atkinson
3. Elias Crane married, 8th Feb. 1849, Rachel V. Field.
4. Orpha, who died at about 14 years.
5. Albert; 6. Francis; 7. Mulford; 8. John; 9. Mary.
BENJAMIN WILLCOX, (3d son of William,) and Mary Mills had children. (4th Gen.)
1. Benjamin, Jun., who married, 1st, Sally the widow of Moses F. Badgley, and daughter of Nathan Wilkison.
2. Eliza, who married Benjamin Cory, son of George, and died without children.
3. Mary, who died young.
BENJAMIN WILLCOX, (son of Benjamin, son of William,) and Sally Wilkison had children: (5th Gen.)
1. Joseph, who married Phebe Bailey, daughter of John, son of Samuel, of Springfield.
2. Squier married Maryetta Littell, daughter of Thomas T. Littell, and had children; 1. Anne Elizabeth; 2. Sarah.
3. Susan married Isaac Brant, son of James, of Rahway.
4. Marcus; 5. John; 6. David; 7. Sarah Anne.
Sally, the wife of Benjamin Willcox, Jun. then died, and he married, 2d, Nancy Littell, daughter of John, of Martinville, who was son of Nathaniel Littell, Jun., son of Nathaniel, son of Samuel Littell, and had children:
8. Mary Elizabeth; 9. Mercy; 10. Benjamin; 11. James; 12. George.
PHEBE WILLCOX, (daughter of William,) and Joseph Jennings had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Polly Jennings.
2. Henry Jennings, who married Sally, and had children: 1. Phebe Jennings; 2. Elizabeth Jennings; 3. Hannah Jennings; 4. Mulford Jennings.
3. Rhoda Jennings, who married John Lacy, and had a child, Mary Lacy.
JOHN WILLCOX, (3d child of Peter Willcockse,) and Massy Ross had children: (3d Gen.)
1. John Willcox, Jun., who married Polly, the widow of Isaac Line, and daughter of William Maxwell.
NOTE.--She had a son, Isaac Line, by her first husband.
2. Isaac, who married Polly Dunham.
3. Peter 3d, who married _____ _____ .
4. Daniel married, 19th Oct, 1783, Deborah Mulford, daughter of Ezekiel Mulford, brother of Capt. Jonathan Mulford. [See Mulford.]
5. Stephen, who died young.
6. Moses married Polly Line, daughter of Joseph Line; lived in Middlesex county, below New Brunswick.
7. Sarah married Ebenezer Lyon, son of Peter. [See Lyon.]
8. Massy married Nathaniel Lyon, son of Peter. [See Lyon.]
9. Polly married Isaac Garthrite.
JOHN WILLCOX, Jun., (son of John Willcox,) and Polly Maxwell had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Abigail, who married, 2d July, 1795, Israel Brant. She married, 2d, John Morris, of Newark, and 3d, Daniel Magie, of Elizabethtown, and had no children.
2. Sarah married, 28th Feb. 1796, Daniel S. Clark, son of Samuel Clark, Esq. [See Clark.]
3. Betsey married Aaron Ball, son of Aaron Ball, Esq. [See Ball.]
4. William and John, twins; William died young.
5. John 3d, born 15th Jan. 1788, and married Sarah Line, born 1st Nov. 1793, daughter of Joseph Line.
6. Polly married her cousin, Ezekiel Willcox, son of Daniel.
7. Samuel married Eliza S. Osborn, daughter of Dr. Smith S. Osborn. He is a Justice of the Peace in Newark, and had children: 1. Augustus; 2. Catherine; 3. Samuel.
8. Amos married, 13th Jan 1818, Polly Meeker, daughter of Caleb, and had a son. Theodore. His wife died and he married, 2d, Elza Nail, of New York; he is a marble worker, in Newark, and has other children.
JOHN WILLCOX 3d, (son of John Willcox, Jun,) and Sarah Line, lives where his father did, and had children: (5th Gen.)
1. Caroline, who married James L. Spencer, son of William. [See Spencer.]
2. Hetty married Isaac Meeker, Jun., son of Caleb. [See Meeker.]
3. Isaac Line married, 19th September, 1838, Mary M. Jones, only daughter of Erastus Jones, and have children, Caroline and Erastus.
4. Henry, born 25th September, 1818.
5. Edmund Arnold.
6 Abigail, born 27th September, 1827, married Henry Jemison, son of Henry Jemison and Hannah Littell, daughter of Nathaniel Littell, Jun. (See page 261.)
7. John Morris, born 31st July, 1829, married, 12th Nov. 1851, Anna Mariah Vail.
8. Mary Louisa, born 23d April, 1831.
DANIEL WILLCOX, (4th child of John Willcox, Sen.,) and Deborah Mulford, had children: (4th Gen.)
1. Hannah, who married Joseph Casterline, and had a son Mulford Casterline, who married, 26th May, 1823. Harrie, Samson, son of Benjamin. Mr. Casterline then died, and she married John Marshall, son of James. [See Marshall.]
2. Ezekiel, born 13th Dec. 1780, and married, 1st, his cousin, Polly Willcox, daughter of John Willcox, Jun.; she died, and he married, 2d, Betsey Brown, daughter of Matthew Brown, of Woodbridge. He married, 3d, the widow Drummond, of Monmouth Co. He lives between Westfield, and Rahway.
3. Jotham married Lois Scudder, daughter of Stites Scudder, and removed to Seneca county, New York, between the Lakes.
4. Jane married Isaac Meeker, son of Isaiah. [See Meeker.]
5. Mary married Marsh Allen, son of William. [See Allen.] She married, 2d, John Muchmore, of Madison.
6 Ezra married, 1st, Sarah Mizener, daughter of Isaac, of Kingston; she died, and he married, 2d, Rachel Jennings, daughter of Benjamin, of Washington Valley.
Mr. Daniel Willcox died 27th February, 1842.
EZEKIEL WILLCOX, (2d child of Daniel, son of John,) and his 1st wife, Polly Willcox, had children: (5th)
1. Abigail, who married Abraham Randolph, live in Cherry Valley, Ashtabula county, Ohio, and had children: 1. Amos; 2. Eliza; and others.
2. Eliza Anne married Madison Stone, of Connecticut, and live in Cherry Valley.
3. Daniel Mulford married Susan Reed, daughter of John Reed, of New York; lives in Rahway, and had children:
4. Mary Jane married Hiram Williams.
5. John, who died in his 20th year.
6. Harriet married Joseph W. Crane, son of William Crane, Esq. [See Crane.]
Ezekiel Willcox, by his 2d wife, Betsey Brown, had
7. Emily, who married Mr. Frank, and had a daughter, Emily Frank, when he died.
8. Matilda, who married John Emmick.
And by his third wife, Mr. Willcox had
9. Ezekiel Halsey.
JOTHAM WILLCOX, (3d child of Daniel, son of John,) and Lois Scudder, had children:
1. Eliza Catherine, who married Benjamin Bartlet, and had children: 1. Martha Bartlet; 2. Mary Jane Bartlet; 3. Eliza Anne Bartlet; 4. Hudson Bartlet who died young.
2. Daniel, who married Eliza Ellen Fisher, and had children: 1. Louisa Catherine; 2. Jotham Osborn; 3. Peter Fisher; 4. James Hamilton; 5. Mary Helen.
3. Mary Jane married, 1st, her cousin, Richard S. Ayers, son of Zebulon; he died without children, and she married, 2d, Edward T. Judd, and had chldren: 1. Frances Judd; 2. Richard W. Judd.
4. Stites married _____ _____ .
EZRA WILLCOX, (6th child of Daniel, son of John,) and Sarah Mizener had children: (5th Gen.)
1. Daniel, who married Abby Anne Douglas, grand daughter of William High.
2. Deborah Anne, who married Abraham Valentine, son of Peter D. Valentine. [See Valentine.]
Ezra Willcox, by his 2d wife, Rachel, had children:
3. Aaron D, who died 21st May, 1847, aged 20 years.
4. Jane; 5. Patience 6. Fanny; 7. Sarah; 8. John; 9. Benjamin.
MOSES WILLCOX, (6th child of John,) and Polly Line had children:
1. Phebe, who married John Pennington.
2. Abigail married Mr. Farringsworth, and went to Illinois.
3. Anne married Henry W. Tuttle, of Morris county.
4. Joseph married _____ _____ .
5. Isaac married Miss Bastido.
6. Moses, Jun.
7. Eliza married Mr. Brees.
8. Cornelia married Mr. Brees, brother of Eliza's husband.
Mr. Willcox died in the winter of 1850-1.
STEPHEN WILLCOX, (4th son of Peter Willcockse,) and Polly Carter had children: (3d Gen.)
1. James, who married Betsey Jewel.
3. Phebe married Abraham Mann.
This page was last modified on: 01 January, 2014
Copyright ©1999-2014 by Brianne Kelly-Bly, all rights reserved.