Source: J. Percy Crayon, Rockaway Records of Morris County, N. J. Families, (Rockaway, N.J., Rockaway Publishing Co., 1902)
Anthony DOUGHERTY, the first member of this family of whom we have any records, probably settled in Vernon township, Sussex county, NJ, sometime before the Revolution. He married a daughter of Abraham, or as the Dutch have it, Brom DAVENPORT, then settled at or near New Foundland, NJ. They were probably, parents of a large family, but there are only two of which we have any records. It is more than probable that Anthony and his wife and others of the family, removed to the West, and all records lost.
Margaret, his daughter, was born at Canisteer July 23, 1784, married William BOYD, son of one of the first settlers, Apr. 14, 1859, buried at Canisteer. Wm. BOYD married 2nd Mrs. PARCELLS Sept. 7, 1859. She died Dec. 7, 1863. He died Nov. 20, 1869. All buried at Canisteer.
- Mary BOYD, born June 10, 1810, married William WRIGHT, a local exhorter and preacher, who married second Sarah (WILLIAMS) WEBB, widow of Moses WEBB, of Vernon. He was born 1804, died May 4, 1883. Second wife was born 1815, died Mar. 23, 1884.
- Mahala, born June 1, 1812, married William WISNER; Ruhama, born 1814;
- Rebecca, born 1816, married Samuel NORMAN, of Milton, Dec. 4, 1842, died July 22, 1850.
- Thomas, born 1818;
- Robert Alexander, born 1823, married Emeline, daughter of Anson and Nancy (ALLINGTON) BARTON. She was born Oct., 1829, died Jan. 21, 1899.
- Julia, married Charles T. WALLACE, of Oak Ridge;
- Margaret, born Aug. 19, 1828, married Ezra HALSEY, son of Christian Dewint and Sarah M. (WOODS) DAY, July 25, 1850. He was born May 25, 1829, died 1898.
Children of Wm. and Mary (BOYD) WRIGHT:
- Mahalah, born July 18, 1828, married George C. KING, of Morristown, Sept. 30, 1857, died Feb. 9, 1869.
- Ellenor, born June 24, 1834, married William, son of John and Ann (DUNN) KIMBLE, Feb. 9, 1854.
- Joel, born 1836, was with Sherman in his famous march to the sea, now at Soldiers’ Home, Kearney, NJ.
- Adam Clark, born June 5, 1840, married Ellenor A. WILLIAMS Apr. 20, 1865, was a member of "Harris Light Cavalry" died June 4, 1894.
- Rebecca, born May 29, 1841, married Edward C. HURD, Nov. 27, 1865;
- Fanny M., born July 21, 1844, married Lewis HURD, Nov. 16, 1862.
James DOUGHERTY, born May 26, 1788, married 1817 Mary, daughter of John and Sophia (MYERS) CRANE. He was (a) shoemaker by trade and lived at Canisteer, NJ. He died in Sussex county Jan. 14, 1862. His wife was born Feb. 7, 1798, died Sept. 6, 1853, buried at Canisteer.
- Anthony, born at Canisteer Nov. 2, 1817, removed to Rockaway, married Mary J,., daughter John and Sophia (BLANCHARD) BEACH. He died May 16, 1894, buried at Rockaway.
- Elizabeth, born Aug. 27, 1819, married John MASCAR, Jr., Jan. 1, 1836. He was born May 6, 1817, died Dec. 21, 1890. Both buried at Canisteer.
- John, born Apr. 12, 1822, married June 16, 1843, Eliza, daughter of William BEACH, formerly of Rockaway, removed to Western Pennsylvania, and died there.
- Alexander, born Mar. 20, 1825, never married. Mary, born Oct. 24, 1827, married (1) Philip SMITH, had one son named Philip, who was killed in the Civil War. Married (2) William P. NORMAN Nov. 4, 1865.
- George, born June 15, 1830, married Harriet, daughter of Anson and Nancy (ALLINGTON) BARTON, was killed in the Civil War Dec. 3, 1862.
- Joel, born Apr. 25, 1833, died in the Civil War May 7, 1863;
- David, born Aug. 5, 1836, went to Western Pennsylvania and died there.
- James, born June 17, 1839, enlisted in Co. C, 9th NJ Regiment at Rockaway and died in Anderson prison Aug. 3, 1864.
Children of Anthony and Mary J. (BEACH) DOUGHERTY:
- Lucy E., born Oct. 1, 1840, died Oct. 9, 1867, married Sidney BABBITT, Aug. 15, 1857. He was a member of Co. G, 40th NJ Regiment, born 1835, died May 15, 1889. Both buried at Rockaway.
- Minerva A., born June 6, 1844, married H. L. SPICER Sept. 4, 1862;
- Cornelia, born May 21, 1846, died Sept. 27, 1855, buried at Rockaway.
- Robert Harris, born Apr. 13, 1848, died Mar. 8, 1900;
- Mary, born July 28, 1840, died Aug. 22, 1850, buried at Rockaway.
- Clara E., born May 16, 1852;
- Jane, born May 12, 1855, died Oct. 12, 1855, buried at Rockaway.
Transcribed by John Cresseveur