In The History of Morris County published by Lewis Publishing Co., 1914, page 328-331 we find a listing of students that were attended school in Dover in 1856. Following this we find a section entitled Gleanings, Relating to the Academy Roll of Names, I have taken the liberty to intersperse these gleanings with their appropriate name. All information found here can be referenced on the above mentioned pages.
of Mill Brook
lived in Prospect streeta very nice man.
C. A. Berry
Rev. Franklin P. Berry, 5103 Pasadena avenue, Los Angeles, California, brother of Stephen H. Berry, and son of Titus Berry.
Rev. Charles T. Berry, D.D., son of Titus Berry, married a Miss Sears, sister of Mrs. James Dickerson, of High street, Newark, New Jersey. Dr. Berry was settled for many years in the Presbyterian Church of Caldwell, New Jersey, the "Cleveland Church." He is now living in Brooklyn.
Mary L. Breese
sister of Miss Hattie Breese, became Mrs. Whitlock.
had a stationery store where the 3 and 9 cent store now is; went west; died recently.
is related to the Wharton Champions. Was killed at one of the mines, either Weldon or Ford; his wife still lives in Wharton.
brother of Philip, father of present generation of Wharton Champions; employed at Ulster iron Works.
Charles Conrad (Coonrad)
lived in a little brown house next to the Richards estate, corner of Penn avenue; went west; he visited Dover in 1912.
George L. Denman
brother of Mrs. Coe, resides in the south.
[see Rebecca Dickerson]
is Mrs. F. Trowbridge, of Essex street, Dover. Sister of Mrs. Judson Coe, who was Elizabeth Dickerson.
now Mrs. James Bigalow, Baileyville, Kansas.
Lewis N. Doty
Wellington B. Doty
married Stephen Palmer
lived in the house now occupied by the Houes family, adjoining the Thomas Oram property, in East Dover.
became Mrs. Kanouse.
sister of Mrs. William Harris, became Mrs. Wildrick.
became Mrs. Wilmot H. Thompson, now of New Haven, Conn.
Leonard V. Gillen
uncle of Whit. B. Gillen, lives at 24 Orchard street, Newark, New Jersey; visits Dover.
sister of Whitfield, became Mrs. George Hance, Easthampton, Massachusetts.
lived in the Spargo house on Morris street. He worked for The George Richards Company when their store was in the frame building that has since been moved out to East Blackwell street, known there as the wooden-heel factory. It was originally the Breese store. Whitfield Hoagland later went to Colorado Springs. His father was a merchant.
worked in old blacksmith shop near Northside schoolhouse; his wife lives on Morris street.
Joseph B. Kinney
lived on Blackwell street, originally, where pool-room now is. Supposed to have died during the Civil War.
lived on the Lamson farm on Mill Brook road, now the Dover Chicken Farm; she married Mr. Kuhns.
sister of Mrs. Charles Dickerson, born and died in house on corner of Sussex and McFarlan streets.
daughter of Ephraim Lindsley, became Mrs. Charles Gage.
uncle of Harry Weaver, lives at Ledgewood, at the home of William Sheer.
brother of Henry; died a few years ago at Eagle's Corners.
sister of Stephen Palmer, became Mrs. Henry McDavit.
lives on Sanford street, Dover.
aunt of Mr. Ed. L. Dickerson. Died recently.
lived in an old plastered house (still standing) on Mt. Hope avenue, left side of road. They left Dover several years ago; very nice people.
lived in the Segur home, now the Elks' Club house. Very charming, beautiful, popular. Died of tuberculosis; buried in Orchard street cemetery.
Mrs. Nathaniel Chandler, died in Paterson
lived on the Tucker farm beyond the George Richards estate, just before you come to the James Brotherton house. The Tuckers were masons and erected the National Union Bank Building. Some one has said that they were "gentlemen masons"used to lay brick with their coats on, wearing cuffs.
a prominent physician of Succasunna.
sister of Dr. Wiggins, lives in Succasunna.
brother of Mrs. S.R. Bennett; died thirty or more years ago.
ex-surrogate, lives in Morristown.