PASSAIC COUNTY CEMETERIES
Annita Zalenski

As taken from "The Castle Genie," Vol. 5, No. 2
Newsletter of The Passaic County Historical Society
Genealogy Club

In 1987 these notes were compiled by Annita Zalenski in an effort to provide researchers using the Passaic County Historical Society Library with a comprehensive list of past and present Passaic County cemeteries.

The PCHS Library has several books of tombstone inscriptions in addition to a vertical file of cemetery information. Most of the inscriptions were copied between the years 1898 and 1928. Some transcriptions also include issue, date of birth, date of death, and name of spouse. Footnotes ^1 through ^5 refer to the PCHS collection.

Information was also gleaned from newspaper clippings, local history books, and phone conversations with church and cemetery personnel, town clerks, owners of private family cemeteries, and area residents.

If you detect any errors, omissions, or out of date information, please send corrections to the Passaic County Historical Society.

ACQUACKANONK REFORMED CHURCH CEMETERY. Passaic. See First Reformed Church of Passaic Cemetery.

AHAVATH JOSEPH CEMETERY. Hawthorne. Jewish. 1868-present. Located about 700 feed from Goffle Road, off Brockhuizen Lane. (See Holland Cemetery.) This cemetery is the burial ground for members of Congregation Ahavath Joseph which was located on Godwin Avenue and Washington Street in Paterson. Ahavath Joseph merged with BíNai Israel Congregation, 561 Park Avenue, Paterson. "The Sunday Record," August 7, 1983, reported that a nonprofit organization (The Jewish Federation of Wayne) began negotiations to take title to this cemetery. The exact location of all records is unknown.

A.M. WHITE LODGE CEMETERY. Riverview Drive, Totowa. Jewish. Located behind the Passaic Valley Auto Wrecking Co., 417 Riverview Drive. Records maintained by The Jewish Federation, One Pike Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470 Ph: 973-595-0555.

BAPTIST CEMETERY. Paterson. See Sandy Hill Cemetery.

BERTHOLF FAMILY CEMETERY. Pompton Lakes. ^4. Was located on Pompton Avenue. In about 1900, those interred here were removed to the Pompton Reformed Church Cemetery and a monument inscribed "Bertholf Heirs" was erected listing all names.

BOARD CEMETERY. Ringwood (Boardville Section). The cemetery was located in the Boardville area of Ringwood. When the property was acquired by the North Jersey District Water Supply Commission, those interred here were transferred to the Pompton Reformed Church Cemetery.

BROWN CEMETERY. Ringwood (Boardville Section). ^1. Some of those interred in this cemetery were transferred to Midvale Cemetery (Van Dine Plot).

CALVARY CEMETERY. 1922-present. 58 McLean Boulevard, Paterson. Roman Catholic. Ph: 973-279-2900.

CEDAR HEIGHTS CEMETERY. 1896-present. Ridge Road, West Milford. Non-denominational. President: Arthur Cahill of West Milford; Attorney: Lou Wallace, Ph: 973-728-9431.

CEDAR LAWN CEMETERY AND CREMATORY. 1867-present. McLean Boulevard and Crooks Avenue, Paterson. Non-denominational. Ph: 973-279-1161. ^4 - partial list.

CENTERVILLE CEMETERY. 1847-1911. Clifton. Jewish. Records should be in possession of Barnert Memorial Temple, 152 Derrom Avenue, Paterson. Ph: 973-279-2111. "History of Paterson and Its Environs" by William Nelson and Charles Shriner, 1920, Vol. II, page 444, notes that this cemetery was established by the Congregation of BíNai Jeshurum of the Barnert Memorial Temple of Paterson. The cemetery was 50 x 110 feet in area and was located in what was known as the Centreville section of Clifton (in the vicinity of present day Broad Street and Edison Street). In 1911, the cemetery was fenced in to deter vandalism.

COLFAX CEMETERY. Pompton. ^1. ^4.

CORWIN CEMETERY. Wayne (Lower Preakness Section). ^1. In 1927, this cemetery adjoined the Kip Cemetery. A list of gravestone inscriptions is recorded in "Preakness and the Preakness Reformed Church, Passaic County, NJ" by George Warne Labow, 1902.

CEDAR HAVEN MEMORIAL PARK. 1905-present. Passaic Avenue, Clifton. Non-denominational . Ph: 973-473-3270. Crest Haven memorial Park is a section of West Ridgelawn Cemetery, Clifton. See West Ridgelawn Cemetery.

DECKER FAMILY CEMETERY. Macopin, West Milford. ^4. Thomas Decker Farm near Lindy Lake.

DECKER FAMILY CEMETERIES. Macopin, West Milford. ^4. Two lists of gravestone inscriptions are on file at the PCHS for cemeteries located near the entrance to Mount Glen Lake. When the inscriptions were recorded, these cemeteries were located

DEGRAY - RYERSON CEMETERY. Hawthorne. ^1. ^4. The cemetery was located between Wagraw Road and the Passaic River (Boxer Run); east of the old Ryerson-DeGray house at 40 Wagraw Road. Tombstone inscriptions were copied ca. 1915. Some epitaphs were recorded in "History of Bergen and Passaic Counties" by W. Woodford Clayton, 1882, pg. 562. The Ryerson-DeGray house became Scordatoís Restaurant.

DEY CEMETERY. Wayne. ^1. Located within the Passaic County Gold Course, Totowa Road, Wayne, NJ, on the right side of the golf course entrance road near the 11th tee of the Blue and White Course. Tombstone inscriptions are recorded in the "Preakness and the Preakness Reformed Church, Passaic County, NJ" by George Warne Labaw, 1902, p. 311.

DOREMUS CEMETERY. Wayne. ^1. Tombstone inscriptions on file at the PCHS were copied between 1920 and 1928. At that time, the cemetery was "on same side of road and a littel (little) north of The Ira A. Mitchel Buildings, located some distance north of the Dey Mansion in Lower Preakness.í Tombstone inscriptions are also recorded in "Preakness and the Preakness Reformed Church, Passaic County, NJ" by George Warne Labaw, 1902, p. 312.

DOREMUS - PETERSON - RYERSON CEMETERY. Paterson. ^1. ^4. Tombstone inscriptions were copied in the 1920ís. The cemetery was located between Cedar Lawn Cemetery and Market Street, near Wesel Road (now McLean Boulevard/Route 20) on what was once the Ryerson farm. Reported to have been destroyed by highway construction in 1960.

EAST RIDGELAWN CEMETERY. 255 Main Avenue, Clifton. Ph: 973-777-1920. Non-denominational. Established in 1907. Menorah Cemetery is also owned by East Ridgelawn.

ECHO LAKE BAPTIST CHURCH CEMETERY. 1355 Macopin Road, West Milford Township. ^1. Ph: 973-696-7125. Tombstone inscriptions were copied in 1912.

ERSKINE CEMETERY. Ringwood. ^1. Tombstone inscriptions were copied in 1920.

ERSKINE MIDVALE CEMETERY. Ringwood/Midvale. ^1. Tombstone inscriptions copied in 1920.

FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH CEMETERY. Paterson. 1824. See Sandy Hill Cemeteries.

FIRST PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHURCH CEMETERY. Paterson. 1844. See Sandy Hill Cemeteries.

FIRST REFORMED CHURCH OF PASSAIC CEMETERY. Passaic (Acquackanonk Reformed Church.) ^3. The cemetery was located in the city of Passaic in the vicinity of River and Prospect Streets. The last burial took place in 1919. In 1921-22, the cemetery was disinterred.

GRAHAM FARMS CEMETERY. Wayne (Preakness). ^1. Tombstone inscriptions were copied in 1912. At that time, the cemetery was located "Back by the then Crunborn Dairy." Another name for this cemetery and description of the location is the "Schuyler Cemetery on the Graham Farm in Pompton."

GREENWOOD LAKE BAPTIST CHURCH CEMETERY. Hewitt, West Milford. ^4. See Moe Mountain Cemetery.

HINCHMAN CEMETERY. Church Lane, Wayne, ^1. Located across the street from the front of the Preakness Church. Tombstone inscriptions are also recorded in "Preakness and the Preakness Reformed Church, Passaic County, NJ" by George Warne Lebaw, 1902. p. 308.

HOLLAND CEMETERY. Hawthorne. ^1. ^4. This cemetery was established in 1868 by Abraham Vermuelen and John Holster. It is located on the side of a hill about 700 feet west of Goffle Road on Brockhuizen Lane and south of a small Jewish cemetery. By 1876, Mr. Vermuelen had become the sole owner of the Holland Cemetery. He sold a 100 x 125 foot plot to Messrs. David Wertheim and Joseph Brown. This small area then became Ahavath Joseph Cemetery.

In the 1920ís, many bodies were transferred from the Holland Cemetery to Fair Lawn Memorial Cemetery which is also owned by the Vermuelen family. Most of the remaining tombstones are inscribed in Dutch. Tombstone inscriptions were recorded in 1949.

HOLY SEPLUCHRE ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY. 1865-present. 52 Totowa Road, Totowa, NJ 07512. Ph: 973-942-3368. Interments from the St. Johnís Chapel Cemetery which was located in the Sandy Hill Cemetery complex were moved to Holy Sepulchre by the Catholic Church in 1888.

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CEMETERY. Rifle Camp Road, West Paterson. Roman Catholic. Private cemetery for members of the religious order of Missionary Sisters. Ph: 973-279-2621.

INDEPENDENT LODZER - YOUNG MENíS ASSOCIATION CEMETERY. McBride Avenue, West Paterson. Jewish. Records maintained by The Jewish Federation, One Pike Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470. Ph: 973-595-0555.

INDEPENDENT UNITED JERSEY VEREIN CEMETERY. McBride Avenue, West Paterson. Jewish. Records maintained by The Jewish Federation, One Pike Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470. Ph: 973-595-0555.

JACOBUS - JONES CEMETERY. Wayne. ^1. ^4. Was located on McClelland Avenue, off the Newark Pompton Turnpike. Tombstone inscriptions are recorded in "Preakness and the Preakness Reformed Church, Passaic County, NJ" by George Warne Labaw, 1902, p. 314. Page 319 of this book contains the following note: "It may be stated on the authority of Abraham Doremus, of Hackensack, that during the Revolutionary War, a regiment or battalion of North Carolina troops was encamped in the vicinity of his (Mr. Doremusís) grandfatherís place in Pacquanac and that many of the soldiers died from the severity of the winter and were buried in a trench that was dug adjoining the said graveyard."

KINSEY CEMETERY. Paterson. ^1. When the tombstone inscriptions were copied between 1920 and 1928,this cemetery was located on Market Street, opposite Seeley Street. Reference is made to "New Jersey Historical Society Proceedings" 1916, page 220.

KING SOLOMAN MEMORIAL PARK. 1905-present. Dwasline Road and Allwood Road, Clifton. Ph: 973-473-5646. Jewish. King Soloman Memorial Park is a section of the West Ridgelawn Cemetery. In 1938,during a time of financial difficulty, an area of West Ridgelawn was set aside exclusively for members of the Jewish faith. Muslim grave were in this section prior to becoming King Solomon Memorial Park. (See Muslim Unity Association of New York Cemetery and West Ridgelawn Cemetery.)

KIP CEMETERY. Wayne. ^1. When the tombstone inscriptions were transcribed, this cemetery was "located a little east of old Lower Preakness Schoolhouse, and south of Little Chapel on Preakness Avenue." Tombstone inscriptions are also recorded in "Preakness and the Preakness Reformed Church, Passaic County, NJ" by George Warne Labaw, 1902, p. 309.

LAUREL GROVE CEMETERY. 1888-present. 161 Totowa Road, Totowa 07512. Ph: 973-956-0335. Non-denominational. Another section of cemetery is known as Laurel Grove Memorial Park. Some Sandy Hill transfers are interred here. A list of Ackerman family burials is on file at the PCHS. ^4.

LAURAL GROVE MEMORIAL PARK. 295 Totowa Road, Totowa. Ph: 973-956-0711. Non-denominational. Laurel Grove Memorial Park is a newer cemetery affiliated with and adjacent to Laurel Grove Cemetery.

LUTHERAN CEMETERY. Hawthorne/Paterson. In "A History of Industrial Paterson"í by L. R. Trumbull, 1822, p. 313, reference is made to the "Lutheran Cemetery at the Goffle." Perhaps this refers to the Holland Cemetery off Brockhuzien Lane. No other information concerning a Lutheran Cemetery has been found.

MABEE CEMETERY. Upper Macopin, West Milford Township. ^1. Tombstone inscriptions were copied between 1920 and 1928 at which time the cemetery was located "two miles southeast of post office; 1/3 mile from west side of road."

MATTHEWS FAMILY CEMETERY. Macopin, West Milford Township. ^4. When the tombstone inscriptions were copied, this cemetery was "in back of the Wall family field off Macopin Road and in line with the junk yard off the Weaver Road."

MENORAH CEMETERY. Main Avenue, Clifton. Jewish. Established about 1907. Owned by East Ridgelawn Cemetery. Records maintained by East Ridgelawn Cemetery. Ph: 973-777-1920.

MIDVALE CEMETERY. Wanaque (Midvale Section.). ^1. ^4. Some tombstone inscriptions were copied between 1920 and 1928. The list is incomplete. At one time, this cemetery was owned by the Presbyterian Church in Wanaque, but it is now privately owned. For information Concerning burials, contact Mrs. Betty Cisco, Ph: 973-835-4659.

MILLER CEMETERY. Millerís Falls, Ringwood. ^1. ^4. Only one tombstone. Inscription was copied in 1924. "The Burying Plot is in a dense wood, east of a lane running south from the West Brook Road from a point opposite Millerís Falls."

MOE MOUNTAIN CEMETERY. Hewitt, West Milford. ^4. Founded in 1885. No longer active. Also known as Greenwood Lake Baptist Church Cemetery. About 6 tombstones. Tombstone inscriptions were copied in 1967. Ph: 973-853-7766.

MONKS CEMETERY. Ringwood (Monkís Station/Monksville). ^1. ^4. Tombstone inscriptions were copied in 1926. The cemetery was on the site of the Monksville Reservoir. In 1983-84, bodies were to have been moved one mile away to a rustic setting near the banks of the Wanaque reservoir. Legal counsel for the North Jersey District Water Supply Commission is George Minish of Minish and Williams in West Orange.

MORSE CEMETERY. West Milford (Morestown). ^1. Tombstone inscriptions were copied between 1920 and 1928 at which time cemetery was located "two miles southeast of West Milford, 150 yards from road (east side).

MOUNTAIN VIEW CEMETERY. Wayne. ^1. When the tombstone inscriptions were recorded, this cemetery was located "a little east of road from Pompton to Two Bridges." Tombstone inscriptions are also recorded in ĎPreakness and the Preakness Reformed Church, Passaic, County, NJ" by George Warne Labaw, 1902, p. 315.

MOUNT NEBO CEMETERY. 1887-present. Jewish. 195 Totowa Road, Totowa, NJ 07512. Ph: 973-942-5361. Records maintained by the Barnert Memorial Temple, Paterson. Ph: 973-279-2111.

MUSLEM UNITY ASSOCIATION OF NEW YORK CEMETERY. Dwasline Road and Allwood Road, Clifton. 1927-present. Moslem. Ph: 201-473-5646. Owned by the Muslim Unity Association of New York. This cemetery is located within King Solomon Memorial Park which is a section of West Ridgelawn Cemetery, Clifton. It contains 50-60 graves. Headstones are inscribed in Arabic. Entrance is through King Solomon. Muslim cemetery is separated from rest of cemetery by a fence and gateway.

NATHAN AND MIRIAM BARNET CEMETERY. McBride Avenue, West Paterson. Jewish. Records maintained by The Jewish Federation, One Pike Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470 Ph: 595-0555.

NEWFOUNDLAND BAPTIST CEMETERY. West Milford. ^1. ^4. Located at the corner of La Rue Road and Clinton.

NEWFOUNDLAND METHODIST CEMETERY. Route 23, Newfoundland, West Milford. ^1. Original church was founded in the 1850ís and was located on Route 23. The cemetery is still located on Route 23 south. In the 1960ís when the highway was widened, the church moved to 75 La Rue Road. Name has been changed to the United Methodist Church of Newfoundland. Ph: 973-697-2877.

NEWFOUNDLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH CEMETERY. 342 Oak Ridge Road, Oak Ridge, West Milford. ^4. 1818-present. Name changed to Oak Ridge Presbyterian Church. For information concerning burials, contact Cemetery Director, Joan DeYoung. Ph: 973-697-7775.

NEWFOUNDLAND CEMETERY. Green Pond Road, Jefferson Township (Morris County), ^1. According to an old detailed description of the location of this cemetery on file at the PCHS, it is "on the Morris County side of the Pequannock River, in Rockaway Township, 200 yards south of the Newfoundland Depot of the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railroad, on ground owned by the City of Newark and adjacent to the old pumping station of the Standard Oil Company."

OAK RIDGE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH CEMETERY. Newfoundland, West Milford. See Newfoundland Presbyterian Church Cemetery.

OLD HOLLAND CEMETERY. See Holland Cemetery.

OIL STATION CEMETERY. See Newfoundland Cemetery.

PASSAIC JUNCTION CEMETERY. McBride Avenue, West Paterson. For information concerning burials, contact Mr. Ben Stein through The Jewish Federation, One Pike Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470. Ph: 973-595-0555.

PATERSON CEMETERY. See Holland Cemetery.

PAYNE FAMILY CEMETERY. West Milford (Macopin Section). ^4.

POMPTON REFORMED CHURCH CEMETERY. 59 Hamburg Turnpike, Pompton Lakes. Ph: 973-835-0541 or 973-835-9745. ^2. ^4. Tombstone inscriptions were copied in the 1920ís.

PREAKNESS REFORMED CHURCH CEMETERY. 131 Church Lane, Wayne, NJ. Ph: 973-694-5481. ^1. Tombstone inscriptions were copied between 1920 and 1928. Tombstones inscriptions are also recorded in "Preakness and the Preakness Reformed Church, Passaic County, NJ" by George Warne Lebaw, 1902, p 295.

RINGWOOD MANOR CEMETERY. Ringwood Manor, Ringwood. ^1.

ROGERS FARM CEMETERY. Pompton. ^1. ^4. Tombstone inscriptions were copied between 1920 and 1928.

RYERSON CEMETERY. Paterson. ^1. Tombstone inscriptions were copied ca. 1900. Notes on file at the PCHS indicate that the cemetery was "located at about 117 Water Street, Paterson. Moved to Old Dutch Cemetery and to Cedar Lawn (Oct. 13, 1874), Plot No. 513, Section No. 8."

RYERSON CEMETERY. Old Hook Road, Wanaque. ^1. Tombstone inscriptions were copied between 1920 and 1928.

RYERSON CEMETERY. Wayne or Pequannock. ^1. ^4. The exact location of this old cemetery is unclear. Some references give the location as Wayne, others note that it was located "near railroad station at Pequannock." Tombstone inscriptions are recorded in "Preakness and the Preakness Reformed Church, Passaic County, NJ" by George Warne Labaw, 1902, p. 313. "The Morning Call", April 27, 1967 reports that a Ryerson Cemetery on Courter Avenue, Wayne, was moved to the Preakness Church Cemetery on Church Lane. This could be the same cemetery.

RYERSON-DEGRAY CEMETERY. Hawthorne. See DeGray-Ryerson Cemetery. ^1.

RYERSON-DOREMUS-PETERSON CEMETERY. Paterson. See Doremus-Peterson-Ryerson Cemetery.

SACRED HEART CEMETERY. Longhouse Drive, West Milford. Roman Catholic. Private cemetery for members of the religious order of Sisters of Mercy. Ph: 973-853-7212.

ST. JOSEPHíS ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY. 454 Germantown Road, West Milford. Ph: 973-676-6100. 1840-present. ^4.

SANDY HILL CEMETERY COMPLEX. Paterson, NJ. ^5. This group of cemeteries was located on the east side of the city in the vicinity of Market and Vine Streets. From 1814 through 1854, religious groups of various denominations purchased land in this area and established cemeteries. Altogether, these cemeteries contained twenty-two acres, divided into approximately 4,500 lots. Victims of the cholera epidemic of 1832 were interred just outside the fence of the Presbyterian Cemetery on Vine Street, and blacks were interred on the face of the hill sloping toward Vine Street. As new cemeteries were established in the Paterson area, many families had their deceased members transferred to other cemeteries. However, in 1888, the First Reformed Church disinterred their Totowa Cemetery and removed most of these bodies to Sandy Hill. In 1920, St. Johnís Roman Catholic removed all their Sandy Hill interments to Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Totowa. In 1912, the city instituted condemnation proceedings regarding the remaining cemeteries, and in 1914, moved the remains of all those still interred in Sandy Hill to either Cedar Lawn Cemetery, Paterson or Laurel Grove Cemetery, Totowa. The cemeteries that comprised the Sandy Hill Complex were:

SCHUYLER CEMETERY. Pompton/Wayne. ^1. ^2. Inscriptions were copied in 1912. See Graham Farms Cemetery.

SECOND REFORMED CHURCH CEMETERY. Paterson. 1848. Totowa Avenue, opposite Redwood Avenue. "Cedar Lawn Cemetery at Paterson, New Jersey"í 1876, page 28, notes that on July 3, 1848, the Second Reformed Church purchased from Ira Ryerson a 90 x 480 foot plot "for the use of a cemetery forever, and for no other purpose or use." The cemetery contained 300 lots and as of 1878, about 500 interments had been made. The cemetery no longer exists. Public School #5 was construction on this site. In 1958, the church moved to 475 Lafayette Avenue, Wyckoff. Ph: 201-444-8038.

SILK CITY BENEVOLENT ASSOCIATION CEMETERY. McBride Avenue, West Paterson. Jewish. Records maintained by The Jewish Federation, One Pike Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470. Ph: 973-595-0555.

SMITH MILLS CEMETERY. Smith Mills, West Milford. See Vreeland Cemetery, Smith Mills.

STEIN-JOELSON CEMETERY. Totowa. Located behind the Passaic Valley Auto Wrecking Co., Riverview Drive. Jewish. The cemetery is situated within the A.M. White Lodge Cemetery. Records are maintained by The Jewish Federation, One Pike Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470. Ph: 973-595-0555.

TOTOWA FIRST REFORMED CHURCH CEMETERY. Paterson. ^1. ^4. 1762-1845. The church burned inn 1827, but a portion of the land continued to be used as a burying ground until 1845. Ten years previous, in June of 1835, the church had established another cemetery in the Sandy Hill Cemetery complex in Paterson. The original cemetery was located on Ryle Avenue. It was disinterred in 1888. The bodies were removed to Sandy Hill but were removed again in 1914 when Sandy Hill was condemned. Tombstone inscriptions are also recorded in "History of the Old Dutch Church at Totowa," 1892, by William Nelson. Some epitaphs are also recorded in "History and Description of Cedar Lawn Cemetery at Paterson, NJ," 1876, pages 16-18.

UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF NEWFOUNDLAND. Newfoundland, West Milford. See Newfoundland Methodist Church Cemetery.

UPPER MACOPIN CEMETERY. Upper Macopin, West Milford. ^1. Tombstone inscriptions were copied in 1928. At that time, the cemetery was located "1/2 mile east of Upper Macopin Post Office."

VAN HOUTEN CEMETERY. Paterson. ^1. ^4. Tombstone inscriptions were copied in 1896. The cemetery was located on Cumberland avenue near Totowa Avenue.

VAN HOUTEN FAMILY CEMETERY. Totowa ^4. The cemetery was located at 357 Totowa Road. It is reported to have been destroyed when the town purchased this property and built the present Municipal Building.

VREELAND AVENUE SYNAGOGUE CEMETERY. See Water Street Schul Cemetery, McBride Avenue, West Paterson.

VREELAND CEMETERY. Clifton. ^1. As old description of the location of this cemetery states that it is "near Lakeview Avenue near Carolina Avenue, 175 to 250 Feet West of Avenue. Lot is 75í by 100í. Between lot and avenue is one story brick building..." Presently, there is a vacant, overgrown lot on Carolina Avenue that matches this description.

VREELAND CEMETERY. Smith Mills, West Milford. ^1. When the tombstone inscriptions were transcribed, this cemetery was "In a lonely spot on the hillside, overlooking the Pequannock River, about a mile above Smithís Mills...." Tombstone inscriptions are also recorded in "History of the City of Paterson and the County of Passaic NJ" by William Nelson, 1901, p. 133.

VREELAND CEMETERY. Upper Macopin, West Milford Township. ^1. When the tombstone inscriptions were copied in 1926, the cemetery was located one mile south of the Upper Macopin Post Office.

VREELAND FARM CEMETERY. West Milford. ^4. The cemetery is located behind the Baptist Church. (One inscription on file at PCHS.) Frederick I. Vreeland of West Milford is the present owner of this cemetery.

WANAQUE CEMETERY. Located in a wooded area near St. Francis of Assisi Church, Ringwood Avenue. The plot is not part of the church. Members of the Beam and Van Wagoner families are interred in this plot. 16 markers. See 1982 in North Jersey Highlands Historical Society magazine, "The Highlander."

WANAQUE REFORMED CHURCH CEMETERY. 658 Ringwood Avenue, Wanaque. Ph: 973-8355-7222. ^1. Tombstone inscriptions were copied in 1926. At that time, the cemetery was "located just north of railroad crossing in Wanaque and east of the new dam of the North Jersey Water Supply."

WATER STREET SCHUL CEMETERY. McBride Avenue, West Paterson. Jewish. Records maintained by the Jewish Federation, One Pike Drive, Wayne, NJ 07470. Ph: 973-595-0555 and/or Mrs. Marcy Morgenstern, Ph: 340-2046.

WATER STREET SCHUL CEMETERY. Riverview Drive, Totowa. Jewish. Reported to be located behind Passaic Valley Auto Wrecking Co., 417 Riverview Drive in the vicinity of the A.M. White Lodge Cemetery. Contact Mrs. Marcy Morgenstern, 340-2046.

WEST MILFORD CEMETERY. West Milford. ^1. Tombstone inscriptions were copies in 1926. At that time, the cemetery was located "one mile south of town on hill east of road to Butler." Local residents suggest that this description might refer to an early section of Cedar Heights Cemetery. Perhaps area was used as a cemetery before Cedar heights was officially incorporated.

WEST MILFORD CEMETERY. West Milford. ^4.

WEST MILFORD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. Union Valley Road, West Milford. ^4. 1810-1900. Many records were lost in two fires. Inscriptions were copied in 1928. Ph: 973-728-3081.

WEST RIDGELAWN CEMETERY. 1905-presennt. Dwasline Road and Allwood Road, Clifton. Ph: 973-473-5646. Originally founded as a non-denominational cemetery. In 1938, area became King Solomon Memorial Park, and this section is exclusively for members of the Jewish faith. However, within the King Soloman section is the Muslim Unity Association of New York Cemetery. The Muslim cemetery is separated from the Jewish cemetery by a fence and gateway. Another branch of West Ridgelawn Cemetery is the non-denominational Crest Haven Cemetery on Passaic Avenue, Clifton.

Footnotes:

Copyright ©2000 by The Passaic County Historical Society Genealogy Club. All rights reserved. This site may be freely linked to, and information found on these pages may be used for personal use and by libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If any pages are copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.