MANUAL
1840-1880
SECOND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
PATERSON, NJ

Nec Tamen Consumebatur*
*Motto of the Presbyterian Church
Exodus III.2.

Historical Sketch

(The quoted passages, in smaller type, were not written by the Pastor, but added by another hand, by authority of the Trustees.)

The Second Presbyterian Church, of Paterson, NJ, was an out-growth of the great division of the Presbyterian body, which occurred in 1837, and resulted in the establishment of two distinct branches; the Old School and the New School. The latter had more sympathy with Congregationalism than had the former, and, without injustice, any be described as the party of progress and advance. The Old School was the conservative body, adhering closely to ancient standards and methods. The happy re-union of the two Schools, in 1869, combined these elements, and removed any discord that had formerly existed between them.

But in 1837, and for several succeeding years, the strife was bitter, and feeling ran high. Northern New Jersey had then two Presbyteries-Elizabethtown and Newark. The First Church, of Paterson, belonged to the Newark Presbytery, which gave its adhesion to the New School. The Presbytery of Elizabethtown held to the Old School. Rev. Samuel FISHER, D.D., long the honored pastor of the First Church, was a prominent member of the New School body, and the first moderator of its General Assembly. He had then resigned his charge here, but his influence was still very great. Rev. John F. CLARK was his successor in Paterson.

In 1840, an effort was begun to transfer the First Church to the fellowship of the Elizabethtown Presbytery and the Old School Assembly. The attempt was successful, to the great disappointment of several of the session and a number of the other members of the church. This company at once withdrew, and established regular services in a little, vacant building, formerly occupied by a congregation of the Protestant Methodist Church. Rev. Elias I. RICHARDS was obtained as a supply; he being at that time unemployed in Newark. His services began on the first Sunday in May, 1840. He subsequently became the first pastor of the Second Church.

The formal organization was effected on May 24, 1840. The meeting was held in their place of worship, at the N.E. corner of Hotel and Smith Streets, and Rev. Samuel FISHER, D.D., presided by appointment of the Presbytery of Newark.

The following persons presented letters of dismission from the First Church of this city:

Lemuel BURR, M.D., Mrs. Theresa BURR, Mrs. Ellen RIDGWAY, Aaron KING, Mrs. Martha KING, Pliny LAWTON, Mrs. Lucy LAWTON, Richard BROWER, Mrs. Margaret BROWER, Mrs. Margaret VAN HORN, Caleb Munson GODWIN, Mrs. Eveline GODWIN, Miss Eliza Ann READ, Jotham RICHARDS, Mrs. Sarah RICHARDS, Miss Catherine FLOOD, Mrs. Isabella FLOOD, John BENSON, Mrs. Maria GRIFFITH, Mrs. Margaret TAYLOR, Mrs. Clementina FORCE, Samuel G. WHEELER, Mrs. Almira B. WHEELER, Abram GOULD, Mrs. Hannah GOULD, William SNOW, Mrs. Catherine WARD: twenty-seven in all.

Of these, Mrs. Martha KING and Mrs. Maria GRIFFITH are now living and members of this Church (April 1, 1880).

Messrs. Aaron KING, John BENSEN, and Caleb Munson GODWIN had been elders of the First Church up to the moment of their withdrawal. The two former were elected elders of the new organization, and to them were added Mr. Samuel G. WHEELER and Dr. Lemuel BURR. Resolutions were adopted, declaring a sincere attachment to Presbyterian doctrines and methods, and covenanting to walk together in Christian love. The four elders were installed: Aaron KING and John BENSEN were also chosen as deacons: Rev. Dr. FISHER delivered an address, and the meeting closed with prayer and singing.

"The times," so Dr. FISHER declared in a letter still extant, "were extremely inauspicious for such an undertaking." The financial panic of 1837, had prostrated the whole country, and Paterson had suffered severely. The population of this city was then 7,598: its industries were carried on chiefly in cotton mills and machine shops, although there were also one or two woolen mills, a flax mill, a paper mill, the patent arms factory where Samuel COLT the inventor of the Coltís revolver carried on business, and two or three breweries. There was no tract of the manufacture of locomotives or of silk. The retail stores were mostly in Van Houten Street, and in Main Street, between Van Houten and Fair Streets. Ellison Street ran no further East than Church Street. Paterson Street was only open from the South side of Broadway to a point about half-way between Van Houten and Ellison Streets. The railroad depot was on Main Street, opposite Grand Street; the latter being only open from Spruce Street to Main Street. The First Presbyterian, St. Paulís Episcopal, Second Reformed, and Cross Street M.E. Churches stood where they now do, though the buildings of the two former have since been entirely renewed. The Free Independent Presbyterian Church, of which the Congregational body is the present successor, stood on the South side of Congress (now part of Market) Street, not far West of Prospect Street. The First Reformed Dutch Church was situated where the present town clock building stands, on the East side of Main Street, near Ellison Street. The First, and only Baptist Congregation worshipped on Broadway, in the frame building now occupied by the second German Presbyterian Church.

The new Second Presbyterian Organization continued its services in the little building at Hotel and Smith streets. The Rev. E.I. RICHARDS was regularly called, Oct. 19, 1840, having served several months as supply. Soon after that date, he was ordained and installed by the Newark Presbytery. His salary was $700 yearly, and he paid $100 annual house-rent. He was born in Devonshire, England, but was brought to this country when three years of age. His voice was sweet and winning, his manner gentle and persuasive, his preaching able and impressive. His little flock dearly loved him, and were sad and sorry when he asked, on Aug. 4, 1842, a dismissal, in order to undertake a new mission enterprise in Philadelphia. That undertaking did not succeed. About 1844, he accepted a call to Reading, Pa., and continued there until his death, on March 25, 1872, at the age of 59 years.

During his pastorate here, in the effort to secure a better place of worship, purchase was made in the Spring of 1841, of the three lots then known as Nos. 34, 36, and 38 Ellison Street, the site of the present residence of Socrates TUTTLE, Esq. The cost of $1,750, and the property was entirely unimproved. It was soon after sold to Moses TIER, of New York. Instead, upon Sept. 18, 1841, an ancient frame structure on Prospect Street, North of Ellison Street, standing upon a lot, 55 x 129 feet, was bought with the $1,750, and the Congregation removed thither soon after.

The successor of Mr. RICHARDS was Rev. George R.H. SHUMWAY, who came as a stated supply His name first appears on Oct. 15, 1842. He was a pious and worthy man, but his success was small, and the whole aspect of the field grew more and mire discouraging. One of his children died here in the Summer of 1843, and lies buried in the Presbyterian cemetery at Sandy Hill. He withdrew soon after; his last trace being a letter dated August, 1843, asking, with great gentleness and courtesy, for payment of arrears of salary. He was quickly called to Newark, NY, and there for more than twenty-five years was distinguished as a pastor whose church was largely and frequently blessed with revivals. He afterward accepted a call to Lawrenceville, Pa., where he died about 1874.

Our own church was at the very verge of dissolution when Mr. SHUMWAY left. A proposition was made to disband. This was strenuously opposed by Mr. E. Boudinot ATTERBURY, who, through his father, Mr. Lewis ATTERBURY, enlisted the sympathy of the Rev. T.H. SKINNER, D.D., then pastor of the Mercer Street Church in New York City. His son, Rev. Thomas H. SKINNER, Jr., had very recently graduated from the Union Theological Seminary. By his fatherís counsel, he came here in the latter part of 1843, and brought with him, from the American Home Missionary Society, important aid toward making up his salary, which was fixed at $600 yearly. Under his administration the two lots new owned and occupied by the church at the corner of Church and Ellison Streets, were purchased for $1,500, and a small frame building, of a single room, seating about 300 persons, were erected. In his fatherís congregation he raised some $1,500, which was a considerable part of the cost of the new edifice. The property on Prospect Street was sold April 15, 1845, for $1,750, to the Prospect Street M.E. congregation, by whom their present brick structure was afterward erected. The new Second Presbyterian Church was finished and occupied in the Spring of 1846. On July 29, 1846, Rev. Mr. SKINNER was relieved from his pastorate that he might accept a call to the Carmine Street Church, of New York city.

His successor was the Rev. Michael F. LIEBENAU, who was called from New Paltz Landing, on the Hudson. The date was Aug. 17, 1846, and he remained here until 1849 or 1850, when re turned to his former charge. His pulpit talents were good, and under him the church received its first considerable accessions upon profession of faith. During his labors here, the aid of the Home Missionary society was withdrawn (Sept. 6, 1848), and the church became solely responsible for his salary of $600 per annum.

Rev. Stephen D. WARD began his ministry here in 1850. Under him the fortunes of the church waned again. He withdrew toward the close of 1852, and has been dead for many years.

The pulpit was vacant until the Spring, or early Summer, of 1853, when Rev. Robert W. LANDIS was settled. Although a man of learning and ability, his pastorate was not prosperous and closed in less than three years. During his stay, however, a basement was added to the church (in the Spring of 1855), thus furnishing better accommodations to the Sunday School

After the resignation of Mr. LANDIS, there were several dreary months of vacancy. In August, 1856, Rev. Ebenezer CHEEVER, of Bloomfield, NJ was invited to supply the pulpit, and continued to do so until March 2, 1858, when he was duly installed as pastor. He was an old man, but his labors were abundant, and the church grew with a steady and substantial increase. Consequently, in 1860, the edifice was enlarged by fully one-third. In the Spring of 1862, Mr. CHEEVERís health failed, and he asked a vacation of three months, which was granted. Returning in September, he offered his resignation, and went to Ypsilanti, Mich., where he died in 1864, aged 74 years.

Rev. Charles D. SHAW came as temporary supply for the last Sunday of June, 1862; he being then a very recent graduate of Union Theological Seminary. He was afterward engaged to fill the pulpit until he first of September. Regularly called in October, 1862, he was ordained and installed on the fifth of November. The membership was nominally 119, but many names on the roll were memories only. The salary was $800, which was increased to $1,000 early in 1863; raised to $1,200 soon after, and, in the Spring of 1864, fixed at $1,400.

Near the close of 1863, Mr. Henry C. STIMSON, then a member of this church, gave $2,000 for a three-fold object, viz.: paying the debt of the church, which was $700; purchasing an organ; and buying or building a parsonage. The congregation accepted the gift, and additional subscriptions were quickly made in order to carry out the design. The mortgage was soon cancelled; an organ costing $1,500 was built by Jardine & Son, erected in the building - the gallery being extended to receive it - and opened with a grand concert on the evening of June 16, 1864. The parsonage now belonging to the congregation was bought Sept. 30, 1865, for $5,500, and the pastorís family moved into it in November of that year.

The spiritual increase though not rapid was steady and wholesome. The Sunday School throve and flourished. To furnish it with a better and worthier room the basement was enlarged and improved; the work beginning on Feb. 4, 1867. On Friday evening, March 1, 1867, the new and beautiful apartment was re-opened and re-dedicated.

"The enlargement and renovation of the Sabbath school room, and the personal interest of a pastor, young, enthusiastic, and devoted, made itself immediately manifest in the condition of the school.

"Under the superintendence of Mr. J.N.W. WRIGHT, succeeded by Mr. Watts COOKE (present incumbent), with the constant presence of hearty co-operation of their pastor, the teachers and scholars felt they were an integral part of the church. It grew in numbers and influence, and during the pastorate of Mr. HOPWOOD, this seed developed into much fruit, as is shown by the records of admission to the membership of the church."

The Rev. Mr. SHAW was called to the Central Church of Wilmington, Del., and on Aug. 4, 1867, held his last service here, closing a pastorate of about five years.

The Rev. Isaiah B. HOPWOOD, pastor of the Congregational Church of Parkville, L.I., was called in October, and began his regular labors, Nov. 10, 1867. Until the first of June, 1874, he filled his post and made full proof of his ministry. Wise in counsel, patient in adversity, resolute of will, having a clear purpose and a strong grasp, he conquered a great success. Additions to the church were numerous under his pastorate. In the Fall of 1869, the Sunday school room was again enlarged. In 1870, the consequence of the changes incident to the re-union of the Old and New School Assemblies, the church was transferred from the Newark Presbytery to the Presbytery of Jersey City. In 1872, the salary was advanced to $1,800. In 1873, the interior of the church building was repaired and re-painted, the pulpit platform altered, a new desk supplied and improved reflectors for lighting were placed in the ceiling. when in June, 1874, Mr. HOPWOOD departed to accept a call to Calvary Church, Newark, NJ, the deepest regret was felt by the entire congregation. Love and regard and prayerful good wishes followed him, and still follow him although nearly six years have passed.

The Rev. Charles D. SHAW was re-called, and resumed his labors, Nov. 1, 1874. His installation took place May 5, 1874. His installation took place May 5, 1875, at the hands of the Presbytery of Jersey City.

"The Sunday school element was a valuable and energetic feature in the church proper, which gradually emerging from the financial cloud so long hanging over it, began to be both progressive and aggressive. The preaching, plain, forcible, and eloquent, attracted many new faces to its services. Its prayer meetings were well attended and fervent in spirit. The result in Godís hands was plain. Both church and Sabbath school accommodations were found to be too limited. Then occurred what proved to be a blessing in disguise.

"On Saturday evening, March 18, 1876, the building caught fire from a defective flue, and was considerably damaged by fire and deluged with water. With surprising unanimity congregation and pastor resolved not to repair but to tear down and re-build with enlarged borders. additional ground was purchased in the rear of the old property, and in July, 1876, was commenced with the erection of the brick and stone structure now occupied by the congregation. The corner stone was laid on Thursday, Sept. 21, at 2 P.M. The lecture room was dedicated and occupied on Sunday, Feb. 18, 1877, and the church proper on Sunday, June 3, 1877. The style of architecture is novel and pleasing. Its size is 50 x 103 feet, with a seating capacity in audience room of 720 persons. Out of a total out-lay of $30,000, all but $5,000 was paid in cash, and the $5,000 mortgage then authorized is the only indebtedness of the congregation, and is expected to be removed by the accumulation of a sinking fund of about $1,000 per annum. The blessing was not confined to the new building, however. The pastorís relations to the church were most happy. Its growth and prosperity were his chief aim; his efforts were ably and cheerfully seconded by his people.

"Brought into closer contact by the deprivation of their own pews, the services during the building of the church, held in St. Paulís Chapel and the Opera House, partook more of the character of social meetings. So each family were brought nearer to their neighbors, and a feeling of fellowship thus originating was cemented by the striving of all to contribute liberally to the cost of construction. This feeling, or sense of individual ownership in the church building, developed greater love of Godís worship, and the spiritual condition improved inevitably with its temporal prosperity.

"Since the completion and occupancy of the new building, its seating capacity has been all needed. Morning and evening services are attended by full congregations; while, what is more important, every Communion service brings with it new candidates for admission who desire to have their names also recorded in the "Lambs Book of Life."

"The Sabbath school has also grown beyond all precedent, and is not merely in theory, but in fact, the nursery of the church.

"Pastor and people vie with each other in striving to make this a veritable "Church of Christ." Naturally vigorous, earnest and hopeful, the pastor with admirable discretion, assisted by his experience, has always the "right work in the right place." An counselor, preacher, teacher, and friend, he by Godís blessing has accomplished, and is accomplishing, a noble and worthy work for his Master; and may we not hope that under our Fatherís guidance and in His way the work may go one and the second Presbyterian Church be always found in the foremost rank of those seeking to pull down Satan and his strongholds, and to implant the principles of true religion, pure and undefiled, in the name of Him who sent His followers into the world to preach the Gospel to every creature."

In November, 1877, by a unanimous vote of the congregation, the system of rotary eldership was adopted. Messrs. John COOKE, Jonathan JOHNSON, David STEWART, John JOHNSON, W. Oakley FAYERWEATHER, and William SCOTT were elected as elders on Nov. 21. Messrs. John COOKE and William SCOTT declined to serve; the session was therefore re-organized with four members. Of these, Mr. Jonathan JOHNSON was to serve for six years; and Mr. W.O. FAYERWEATHER for two years. Upon Nov. 19, 1879, the two years term having expired, Mr. FAYERWEATHER was re-elected for six years, and Mr. Daniel MILLER was chosen for the same period.

The present living membership of the church is 323. The Sunday school, always increasing, has 643 members, with an average attendance of 450. Its officers number 16; the roll of teachers comprises 42 names. Its efficient officers, faithful teachers, and intelligent, orderly scholars make it the delight and glory of the church.

We boast not in ourselves, but we make mention of the good things the Lord hath done for us, wherein we rejoice and are exceeding glad.

LIST OF PASTORS

(With one or two exceptions, these dates are those officially given by the Presbytery, and vary slightly from those of actual beginning and termination of labors.)
 
NAME
INSTALLED
DISMISSED
PRESBYTERY
Elias I. RICHARDS Oct. 28, 1840 Aug. 10, 1842 Newark
George R.H. SHUMWAY     Stated Supply
Thomas H. SKINNER, Jr. Dec. 8, 1843 Aug. 3, 1846 Newark
Michael F. LEWBENAU Oct. 13, 1846 Nov. 7, 1849 Newark
Stephen D. WARD Oct. 9, 1850 Oct. 6, 1852 Newark
Robert W. LANDIS July 12, 1853 April 15, 1856 Newark
Ebenezer CHEEVER May, 1858 Oct. 1, 1862 Newark
Charles D. SHAW Nov. 5, 1862 July 21, 1867  
Isaiah B. HOPWOOD Oct. 10, 1868 May 29, 1874 Installed by Newark, Disíd by Jersey City
Charles D. SHAW   May 5, 1875 Jersey City

LIST OF ELDERS AND DECONS


Elders
Elected
Remarks
Aaron KING May 24, 1840 Died Jan 31, 1871 aged 89 yrs.
John BENSON   Died Aug. 18, 1862 aged 76 yrs.
Samuel G. WHEELER   Removed from city about 1842
Lemuel BURR, M.D.   Died June 22, 1878 aged 83 yrs.
Lewis ATTERBURY April 18, 1847 Removed to New York 1867
Hiram HATHAWAY   Removed First Ch. Feb. 25, 1869
John E. VAN WINKLE   Resigned Nov. 21, 1877
John MORTIMER Nov. 17, 1869 Resigned Nov. 21, 1877
Jonathan JOHNSON   Resigned Nov. 21, 1877
William SCOTT   Resigned Nov. 21, 1877
Jonathan JOHNSON Nov. 21, 1877 Elected on Rotary System
David STEWART   Elected on Rotary System
John JOHNSON   Elected on Rotary System
W. Oakley FAYERWEATHER   Elected on Rotary System
Daniel MILLER Nov. 19, 1879 Elected on Rotary System
W. Oakley FAYERWEATHER   Re-elected

DEACONS


Aaron KING May 24, 1840 Deceased
John BENSON   Deceased
Edwin P. PARKE April 25, 1872 Deceased June 24, 1872
John JOHNSON    

OFFICERS OF THE CHURCH, APRIL 1, 1880

Pastor
Rev. Charles D. SHAW

Elders
Jonathan JOHNSON
John JOHNSON
David STEWART
W. Oakley FAYERWEATHER
Daniel MILLER

Deacon
John JOHNSON

Trustees
Watts COOKE, President
H.B. PARKE, Secretary
W.O. FAYERWEATHER, Treasurer
J. Pierson VREELAND Daniel B. HUBBARD
Mills THOMSON Daniel MILLER

Officers of the Sabbath School April 1, 1880
Watts COOKE, Superintendent
W. Oakley FAYERWEATHER, Assistant Superintendent
Harwood B. PARKE, Secretary
Miss Belle COOKE, Treasurer
Robert J. TANNER, Librarian
D.H. DAY, Assistant Librarian
W.F. CHILDS, Assistant Librarian
Jas. PARKER, Assistant Librarian
C.C. GARRISON, Assistant Librarian
Wm. G. SCOTT, Assistant Librarian
Miss Annie B. COOKE, Pianist
George T. ROWLEE, Musical Director

Infant Department
William H.H. STRYKER, Superintendent
Mrs. Margaret MORRISON, Assistant Superintendent
Mrs. Nellie G. STRYKER, Organist
James MORRISON, Librarian

CHURCH OFFICERS, 1876 AND 1877

Pastor
Rev. Charles D. SHAW

Elders
John E. VAN WINKLE John MORTIMER
Jonathan JOHNSON William SCOTT

Deacon
John JOHNSON

Trustees
Watts COOKE, President
H.B. PARKE, Secretary
W.O. FAYERWEATHER, Treasurer
Mills THOMPSON James TATTERSALL
J.P. VREELAND L.D. YORK

Special Church Erection Committee
John DUNLOP, President
W.O. FAYERWEATHER, Secíy.
J.A. VAN WINKLE, Treasurer
John COOKE David HENRY
C. LAMBERT Thos. BEVERIDGE
Mills THOMSON James INGLIS, Jr.
Chas. D. SHAW, Ex-efficio William GRAHAM
Watts COOKE Jonathan JOHNSON
James BEGGS

Building Committee
John COOKE, Chairman
Jas. INGLIS, Jr. Secíy
David HENRY C. LAMBERT
Thos. BEVERIDGE

Finance Committee
Watts COOKE, Chairman
Mills THOMSON, Secíy.
Jonathan JOHNSON James BEGGS
J.A. VAN WINKLE William GRAHAM
John DUNLOP W.O. FAYERWEATHER

Individual Subscriptions to New Church


ADAMS, Peter, per Watts COOKE
$100.00
ALDRED, James
10.00
ALDRED, Mrs. J.
10.00
ATCHISON, Miss Lizzie
10.00
ATCHISON, Miss Jennie
5.00
ATCHISON, William
5.00
ATCHISON, Mrs. W.
5.00
ATCHISON, Mrs. Jas.
5.00
   
BEVERIDGE, Thos.
300.00
BEVERIDGE, Mrs. Thos.
60.00
BEVERIDGE, John
10.00
BEVERIDGE, Thos., Jr.
70.00
BERDAN, William
50.00
BROCK, Mrs. E.
10.00
BROCK, Charlie
5.00
BLAUVELT, J.T., per Jas. COOKE
25.00
BALDWIN, J.R. per Jas. BEGGS
50.00
BARNET, N. per Mrs. J.A. VAN WINKLE
10.00
BLAUVELT, Mrs. G.I., per Mrs. J.A. VAN WINKLE
10.00
BARBOUR Bros, per John DUNLOP
100.00
BUCKLEY, James, per Jas. BEGGS
20.00
BROWN, Chas. O.
45.00
BISHOP, Mrs.
5.00
BURNISH, Platt & Hartley
100.00
BURR, Dr. L.
20.00
BLAUVELT, Henry S.
10.00
BARRY, W.H., per C.D. SHAW
5.00
BEGGS, Eugene
50.00
BROWN, John J.
Lot at Peopleís Park
   
COOKE, John
2,709.72
COOKE, Mrs. John
20.00
COOKE, Miss Carrie S.
35.00
COOKE, John S.
10.00
COOKE, Fred W.
15.00
COOKE, Charles D.
10.00
CUNDELL, Joseph
50.00
CUNDELL, Miss Carrie E.
5.00
CUNDELL, William
60.00
CUNDELL, Mrs. Wm.
25.00
CHRISTIE, Richard
10.00
COOKE, James
400.00
COOKE, Mrs. James
12.00
CLARKE, B.G., per W.O. FAYERWEATHER
100.00
CLARK, Thomas
1.00
COLE, Mrs. H.W.
5.00
COOKE, William
100.00
CONGDON, Jos. W.
100.00
COLLINS, C.C.
20.00
CADMUS, C.A.
10.00
CROSBY, H.B.
50.00
CROUTER, C.F.
5.00
COURTNEY, Miss Lizzie
10.00
COOKE, Miss Belle
10.00
CHRISTIE, Miss Annie
5.00
COOKE, Watts
540.00
COOKE, Mrs. Watts
35.00
COOKE, John K.
22.00
COOKE, Miss Annie B.
15.00
COOKE, Miss Emma D.
12.50
COOKE, Miss Lizzie B.
12.50
   
COOKE, E. Payson
11.00
COUTTS, W.
10.00
COUTTS, L.
5.00
CAMPBELL, John per Miss Carrie COOKE
100.00
CLARK, Morton, per Miss Carrie COOKE
10.00
CAMPBELL, Michael
5.00
   
DUNLOP, John
1,300.00
DUNLOP, Robt.
15.00
DUNLOP, Mrs. Robt.
5.00
DONKERSLY, Mrs. Helen
20.00
DONKERSLY, Miss METTIE
5.00
DONALDSON, Henry
50.00
DONALDSON, Margaret
20.00
DAVENPORT, M.
127.50
DANFORTH, Mrs. C.
200.00
DEMAREST, J.C.
5.00
DUNKERLY, Robert
5.00
DOLPHIN Manufacturing Co.
Stair Matting
   
EVANS, W.L., per Jas. COOKE
100.00
   
FAYERWEATHER, W.O.
525.00
FAYERWEATHER, Mrs. W.O.
25.00
FAYERWEATHER, John
25.00
FAYERWEATHER, C. Blanche
25.00
FARDON, Abm.
15.00
FLEMING, D.
5.00
FRIEND, per H.B. PARKE
50.00
FRIEND, per W.O. FAYERWEATHER
50.00
FIELDHOUSE, Wm.
20.00
   
GRAHAM, William
250.00
GREEN, George
20.00
GRAHAM, Miss (New York), per Miss Carrie COOKE
5.00
GARRISON, John M.
10.00
GARRISON, Mrs. J.M.
10.00
GARRISON, Chas. C.
10.00
GARRISON, Miss Annie
10.00
GARRISON, Miss Gracie
10.00
GERSTMAYER, John
1.00
GERSTMAYER, John, Jr.
5.00
   
HENRY, David
250.00
HENRY, Mrs. D.
10.00
HENRY, Miss Sarah
10.00
HUNT, Chas. A.
55.00
HUNT, C.A., Jr.
10.00
HUNT, Miss Bessie
10.00
HUNTOON, Mrs. J.P.
10.00
HUNTOON, Miss Bertha
5.00
HUBBARD, George
50.00
HINDLE, J.H., per Jas. BEGGS
25.00
HUMPHREYS, A.W., per W.O. FAYERWEATHER
100.00
HAMIL & BOOTH, per Jno. DUNLOP
200.00
HENDRIE, J.C.
5.00
HOCKENBERRY, Mrs.
10.00
HAYCOCK, Mrs.
10.00
HOBART, G.A., per Miss Carrie COOKE
20.00
HASKELL, Miss Fannie
10.00
HAYES, Wm. H.
10.00
HAYES, Mrs. W.H.
10.00
HAYES, Willie
10.00
HAYES, Bertie
10.00
HAYES, Emma
10.00
HAYES, Mrs. Robert
10.00
   
INGLIS, Jas. Jr.
356.04
IRWIN, James
20.00
IRWIN, Sophia
10.00
   
JOHNSON, John
50.00
JACKSON, James per Miss Carrie COOKE
20.00
JOHNSON, Jonathan
100.00
JOHNSON, Mrs. Jonathan
10.00
JOHNSON, M. James
10.00
JOHNSON, Miss Sarah
10.00
   
KINNE, Dr. T.Y.
20.00
   
LAMBERT, Catholina
1,275.00
LAMBERT, C. (family)
100.00
LERIGO, Mrs. James
30.00
LERIGO, The Misses
15.00
LINDLEY, Miss Lottie M.
10.00
LINDLEY, Miss Nettie F.
10.00
LADIES COMMITTEE, not credited elsewhere
487.18
   
MILLER, Daniel
100.00
MCNAB & HARLIN Mfg. Co., per Jas. BEGGS
50.00
MACKINTOSH, W.A.
60.00
MCALLISTER, J.F.
25.00
MCALLISTER, Mrs. J.F.
10.00
MORRIS, M.J., per Jas. BEGGS,
50.00
MORTIMER, John
10.00
MORTIMER, Mrs. John
100.00
MCFARLAN, M.
10.00
MCCONNEL, Agnes
2.50
MCCONNEL, M.
10.00
MERCELIS, Eddie
10.00
MERCELIS, Edo
10.00
MERCELIS, Edo, Jr.
1.00
MERCELIS, Bessie
1.00
MOORE, Mrs.
5.00
MILLER, Mrs. Mary
5.00
MCDONALD, Agnes
2.50
MYER, J.G.A.
10.00
MCNEIL, Miss Sarah
10.00
MCNEIL, Miss Jennie
10.00
MAINES, W.B.
10.00
MILLS, Wm., per J.A. VAN WINKLE
6.00
MATTHEWS, Mrs. J.
10.00
MATTHEWS, Carrie
10.00
   
NATIONAL TUBE WORKS, per Jas. COOKE
250.00
   
OXFORD IRON CO., per J.A. VAN WINKLE
25.00
OSBORNE, Edward
75.00
   
PENNOCK, C.E. & Co., per Jno COOKE
500.00
PARKE, Mrs. E.P.
55.00
PARKE, Henry
55.00
PARKE, H.B.
45.00
PARKE, Mrs. H.B.
10.00
PARKE, Marguerite
10.00
PARKE, Elsie W.
10.00
PAIGE, H.M.
10.00
PAIGE, Mrs. H.M.
10.00
PAIGE, Cora
10.00
PHELPS, DODGE & Co., per Wm. CUNDELL
25.00
PASSAIC ROLLING MILL CO.
61.07
PIERSON, Henry
10.00
PIERSON, Minnie
5.00
   
ROGERS, J.S. per Watts COOKE
200.00
REYNOLDS, John per W.O. FAYERWEATHER
100.00
RAMAPO WHEEL & F. CO., per Jas. COOKE
100.00
RYLE, Mrs. John
10.00
RYLE, William, per C. LAMBERT
225.00
REDMAN, Misses
10.00
   
SHAW, Rev. C.D.
100.00
SHAW, Mrs. C.D.
50.00
SHAW, Miss Edith
5.00
SHAW, Ralph W.
2.00
SHAW, Arthur W.
5.00
SHAW, Beatrice
10.00
SPENCE, Thos.
60.00
SPENCE, Thos., Jr.
10.00
SWINBURNE, Wm.
10.00
SWINBURNE, Miss C.
30.00
SWINBURNE, John, per Miss Carrie COOKE
25.00
SWINBURNE, W.J., per Miss Carrie COOKE
25.00
SMITH, W.H. & Son, per Jno. DUNLOP
100.00
SATTERLEE, Miss Julia
20.00
SMITH, Robt.
50.00
SMITH, Robt. H.
25.00
STEWART, David
20.00
SCOTT, William
30.00
SCOTT, W.G.
15.00
SCOTT, Miss Bella
5.00
SCOTT, Robt. H.
5.00
STEWART, D.
15.00
SANDERS, George
70.00
SEELY, Julia B.
10.00
STRYKER, W.H.H.
10.00
STRYKER, Mrs. W.H.H.
10.00
STRYKER, Minnie K.
10.00
SMITH, Henry D.
10.00
SWIFT, George
100.00
SCHOONMAKER, Mrs. S., per Mrs. J.A. VAN WINKLE
1.00
   
THOMSON, Mills
125.00
THOMSON, Mrs. M.
25.00
THOMSON, Willie
10.00
THOMSON, Jessie
10.00
THOMPSON, J.R. & Co., per Jas. COOKE
50.00
TURNER, Ralph
25.00
TURNER, Mrs. R.
10.00
TURNER, Fannie L.
10.00
TATTERSALL, Jas.
100.00
TATTERSALL, Mrs. J.
10.00
TATTERSALL, George
5.00
TATTERSALL, Joseph
5.00
TILT, B.B. & Son, per Miss Carrie COOKE,
20.00
TAGGART, Mrs.
100.00
TALLMAN, Edgar W.
10.00
TALLMAN, Mrs. G.C.
10.00
THOMAS, Miss M.E.
5.00
TAYLOR, Mrs. D. & Friend
10.00
TODD & RITCHIE (material)
40.00
THOMPSON, Mrs.
1.00
   
VAN WINKLE, J.A.
285.35
VAN WINKLE, Mrs. J.A.
10.00
VAN WINKLE, Bertha
2.50
VAN WINKLE, Mamie
1.00
VAN WINKLE, Edo
2.50
VAN WINKLE, Harry
1.00
VAN WINKLE, Albert F.
1.00
VAN INDERSTINE, R.
70.00
VAN INDERSTINE, Mrs. R.
21.00
VAN INDERSTINE, Wallace
10.50
VAN WINKLE, John E.
250.00
VAN WINKLE, Mrs. J.E.
25.00
VAN WINKLE, Henry
50.00
VAN WINKLE, Miss Annie M.
10.00
VREELAND, J.P.
110.00
VREELAND, Mrs. J.P.
10.00
VREELAND, Cornie
10.00
VAN SAUN, Mrs. S.A.
100.00
VAN HOUTEN, Eddie
10.00
VOORHEES, G.D.
35.00
VAN BLARCOM & CLARK
30.00
   
WESTCOTT, W.D.
20.00
WESTCOTT, Olive
10.00
WILLIAMS, H.A., per Miss Carrie COOKE
25.00
WILLIAMS, W.H.
30.00
WILLIAMS, J.B.
5.00
WARDLE, Henry
10.00
WARDLE, Minnie
10.00
WATSON, Mrs. James
10.00
WATSON, Miss Lizzie
10.00
WRIGHT, J.N.W.
10.00
WRIGHT, Mrs. J.N.W.
10.00
WHITELEY, Miss L., per Mrs. J.A. VAN WINKLE
1.00
   
YORK, Levi D.
150.00
YORK, Mrs. L.D.
120.00

CONSTRUCTION ACCOUNT
OF THE NEW
SECOND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Paterson, New Jersey, Sept. 10, 1877


Debit  
To Congregational Subscriptions
13,037.25
Outside Subscriptions
2,897.07
Ladies Committee
1,287.04
Insurance Old Church
3,778.00
Accumulated Church Fund
1,453.57
Interest
64.13
Organ Concert
103.50
Pew Premiums
109.75
Ladiesí Supper
231.96
Mortgage
5,000.00
Deficiency (loans),
*1,674.73
   
*Since paid from Surplus Revenue for 1878 and 1879  
 
$29,637.90
   
Credit  
By J.M. BALDWIN, land
2,000.00
Abm. COLLIER, land
150.00
VAN HOUTEN Bros, carpenters
10,600.53
BURNISH, PLATT & HARTLEY, masons
8,672.00
L.B. VALK, architect and ventilating
673.00
H.P. BLOOR, glass
836.00
NOYES & WINES, iron ceiling
982.00
G.D. VOORHEES, plumbing and heating
1,028.65
ARCHER & PANCOAST, gas fixtures
225.00
W.C. VOSBURGH & Co., gas fixtures
111.70
PATERSON GAS LIGHT Co., gas connections
23.75
W.J. CREAMER & Co., registers
50.30
DANFORTH, L. & M. Co., iron work and columns
468.19
PASSAIC ROLLING MILL Co., iron work
61.07
Sundry Bills
658.17
JARDINE & Son, organ repairs
1,475.00
H.D. OSTERMOOR, cushions
960.23
W.&J. SLOANE, carpets
459.00
HERTS Bros., furniture
84.25
Sundry Matting, etc.
119.06
 
$29,637.90
   
SUMMARY OF COST:  
Additional Land
$ 2,150.00
Building
24,390.36
Organ Repairs
1,475.00
Furniture
1,622.54
 
$29,637.90
   
W.O. FAYERWEATHER, Treasurer Board of Trustees.  

Copyright ©2000 by The Passaic County Historical Society Genealogy Club. All rights reserved. This site may be freely linked to, and information found on these pages may be used for personal use and by libraries and genealogical societies. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If any pages are copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.