South River Museum, 2005  

South River Historical & Preservation Society, Inc.

Aftermath of the 1908 South River Fire


Join us on Facebook
Join us on Facebook


Sign our Guest Register

 

 

page counter

 

 

front of Aftermath of the 1908 Fire postcard

 

On July 10, 1908 a fire broke out in Schroeder's barber shop in the heart of downtown South River. The fire spread and ultimately destroyed many of the surrounding buildings including Citizen's Hall and the residence of former Mayor James Bissett. According to the New York Times of July 11, 1908, other buildings that were destroyed were the Whitehead Building where the post office was located, "Undertaker Morgan's establishment, Silk's drug store, Arthur Levy's jewelry store, George Serviss's confectionery shop, and nearly all the rest of the business section of town." This postcard shows what was left after the fire was finally extinguished.

back of Aftermath of the 1908 Fire postcard

 

Postmarked from South River, September 15 [year illegible].


Sources: "Jersey Town Set Ablaze: Forest Fire Burns Many Buildings in South River, N.J."
New York Times, July 11, 1908, p.1.
Selover, Jesse. History of South River, New Jersey. [South River, NJ], 1963.

Postcard from the collection of Donna Green.