See individual Counties for more history Andrew McNeely RICHARDSON (1843-1905)
Melvin Emyor Richardson (1851-1923), and Granville Addison Richardson (1860-1937),
sons of John Richardson and Louisa DeLany, were all born in Hopedale, Ohio and all
came to Lincoln County in the late 1800's. Granville was the first to travel to
the New Mexico Territory, reaching Lincoln, New Mexico in September of 1886. He
set up his law practice there and remained for two years before moving to Roswell
and becoming its pioneer lawyer. (An Illustrated History of New Mexico, The Lewis
Publishing Co: 1895). He helped write the New Mexico Constitution by which the Territory
became a state in 1912. He was elected District Judge of the Fifth Judicial District
in 1914 and again in 1927. He served as mayor of Roswell from 1908 to 1910, and
the citizens of Roswell recognized him for his many achievements by naming Richardson
Avenue in his honor. (Little Town West of the Pecos, C. S. Adams: 1909) He was born
in Hopedale, Ohio on January 5, 1860. He married Miss Nina Evert on November 22,
They had one son, Donovan McNeely Richardson, born in 1894. Granville passed away
on July 26, 1934 in Boston, Massachusetts. Nina Richardson died on September 14,
1940. Andrew McNeely Richardson arrived in Lincoln County in 1878, having traveled
from his family's farm in Pettis County, Missouri. He settled at the foot of the
Capitan Mountains in Lincoln County and worked as a sheep herder. Two years later,
his brother Melvin followed him from Missouri to Lincoln County and joined him in
the sheep raising business. (A Biographical History of Central Kansas, Vol. II,
The Lewis Publishing Co.: 1902)
Both brothers are listed in the 1880 New Mexico census with Andrew residing in Rio
Penasco and Melvin at Las Tablas. Melvin married Miss Alice DeLany of Hopedale,
Ohio in 1884. On March 21, 1885, the two brothers, together with Melvin's father-in-law,
John C. DeLany, Charles S. Thurber and Horace K. Thurber, associated themselves
as a body corporate under the name of El Capitan Land and Cattle Company of New
Mexico. (Articles of Incorporation dated 3/21/1885). The main headquarters was located
at the Block Ranch in Lincoln County. Andrew married Benina Maria Lucero of Las
Tablas in 1887. He was elected Justice of the Peace for Precinct 6 of Lincoln County
New Mexico and on 3 February 1890 posted bond for this office. (Peace Bond dated
On Christmas Day of 1893, Melvin and his family moved to Sterling, Kansas but continued
his association with the sheep business. On November 8, 1894 Andrew, Melvin, and
Horace K. Thurber formed a second association by the name of The Capitan Sheep Company.
(Articles of Incorporation dated 11/8/1894). On April 3, 1895 the Richardson Post
Office was established with Andrew Richardson serving as one of its postmasters.
(Old Timer's Review, fall 1979) An agreement made on the 6th day of June, 1900 between
the associates of El Capitan Land and Cattle Company sold the shares to Nancy Thurber.
Andrew and his family remained in Lincoln County where he was appointed postmaster
of the Arabella post office on 15 February 1901. (Old Timer's Review, fall 1979).
Andrew had changed the name of Las Tablas to Arabella in honor of the daughter of
one of the townsmen after his appointment. There Andrew and Benina raised a family
of 7 children: Jose, Bonefacia, Edward, Thomas, Granville, Lavenia, and Melvin.
The family is listed in the 1900 and 1910 New Mexico Census living in Agua Azul.
Andrew died in December, 1906 and is buried in Sterling, Kansas next to his brother
Melvin, who died in 1923. (Cottonwood Cemetery records) Andrew's son, Granville
began raising his own family in Arabella before moving to Hondo, New Mexico. He
was a lifelong resident of Lincoln County who died in 1963. Many of his descendants
have remained in Lincoln County settling in the villages of Ruidoso, Capitan and
First Family contributed by I. J. Richardson.