Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Camp Ojo Calente through Camp Furlong
Return to New Mexico Forts Index
Some information was based on the book The Place Names of NM, by Robert Julyan.

Fort Name County Volunteer
Camp Ojo Caliente (Camp) Socorro C. W. Barnum
Camp Cody Luna Link
Cantonment Burgwin (Camp) Taos C. W. Barnum
Pancho Villa's Raid (Camp Columbus) Luna C. W. Barnum
Camp Furlong Luna Link
Fort Marcy Santa Fe C. W. Barnum
Ft. Bascom San Miguel C. W. Barnum
Ft. Bayard Grant County C. W. Barnum
Ft. Bassett Quay C. W. Barnum
Ft. Canby or Ft. Defiance NM Territory C. W. Barnum
Ft. Conrad Socorro C. W. Barnum
Ft. Craig Socorro C. W. Barnum
Ft. Cummings Luna C. W. Barnum

Camp Ojo Caliente: The Battle of Ojo Caliente Canyon, or simply the Battle of Ojo Caliante was an engagement of the Apache Wars on April 8, 1854. The combatants were Jicarilla Apache warriors and the United States Army. The skirmish was fought as result of the pursuit of the Jicarilla after the Battle of Cieneguilla over a week earlier. (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.) Battle of Ojo Caliente Canyon was part of the Apache Wars. Date April 8, 1854 at Ojo Caliente Canyon, New Mexico Territory. United States United States --Lieutenant Colonel Philip Cooke Chacon, vs. Apache Commanders. Battle: 200 cavalry and 100 infantry plus 32 native scouts. Apaches had 150 warriors, five were killed and six were wounded. Several rock covered graves are reportedly in the area.

Cantonment Burgwin: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Cantonment Burgwin (also known as Fort Burgwin) was a fort located at 10 miles outside of Taos, Taos County, New Mexico, United States, southeast of Ranchos De Taos. It was established in 1852 to protect the Taos Valley from Utes and Jicarilla Apaches. It was named after Captain John H. K. Burgwin in honor of his death in 1847 while fighting at the Siege of Pueblo de Taos. He was buried there. Fort Burgwin is known for its role in the Battle of Cieneguilla, a battle fought between the 1st Cavalry Regiment (United States) and the Jicarilla Apache. The Fort Burgwin Research Center replaced the fort after being abandoned in 1860. It was designated a "cantonment" to indicate its temporary character. The site currently serves as the SMU-in-Taos Cultural Institute. Cantonment Burgwin was abandoned by the U. S. Army in May, 1860. Several structures were rebuilt starting in 1957 and continued until 2004, financed initially by Ralph Rounds until his death in 1960. The new structures were known as The Fort Burgwin Research Center. Later, William Clements, Chairman of the Board at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas added funding for several other buildings on the hill slopes around Fort Burgwin. It now functions as a western campus for SMU.

Fort Marcy: This old fort is in Santa Fe County. It was created in 1846 by General Stephen W. Kearney. It was named for William L. Marcey, Secretary of War. By 1894 most of the Fort was gone and it is now a built over except for a few old walls remains.

Ft. Bascom: This fort is in San Miguel County. It had a post office from 1874 until 1892. It has been called Bascom Camp at times. It was also called Johnson, but now it is gone.

Ft. Bayard: See Fort Bayard National Cemetery Fort Bayard is in Grant County ten miles east of Silver city. It had a post office from 1867 until 1970. It was established in 1859 to protect the mining operations in the area. Its service increased over time to protect the southwest area on New Mexico and Arizona. in 1900 it became an Army hospital. 

Ft. Bassett: This old post is in Quay County. It is more properly a "camp" than a fort. it has vanished today.

Ft. Canby or Ft. Defiance:  This more properly an Arizona Fort on Indian land, but at one time Arizona and New Mexico were the same Territory, so it is included here. See this link. http://www.lapahie.com/Fort_Defiance.cfm

Ft. Conrad Ft. Craig: This military post is in Socorro County thirty-five miles south of Socorro. It was created in 1851. It was later named Fort Craig to honor Charles M. Conrad who was the Secretary of War. It faded away about 1885.

Ft. Cummings: This isolated post is in Luna County. It is near Cooke's Canyon about six miles northwest of Florida. It was created along a Stage Coach route to give some feeling of protection to that area by General George B. McClellan.  it was named for Major Joseph Cummings. It lasted until 1891 according to Mr. Samuel W McWhorter. United States mail was not officially carried in this area but mail did go by stage coach.