Search billions of records on

Forts of New Mexico
Fort Fillmore to Fort Wingate
Return to
Military Page
See Map of Forts in New Mexico
Ft. Fillmore Dona Ana C. W. Barnum
Ft. Fauntleroy McKinley C. W. Barnum
Ft. McLane Grant C. W. Barnum
Ft. McRae Sierra C. W. Barnum
Ft. Selden Springs Radium Springs, Dona Ana C. W. Barnum
Ft. Stanton Lincoln County C. W. Barnum
Ft. Sumner De Baca C. W. Barnum
Ft. Webster Grant C. W. Barnum
Ft. Thorn Dona Ana C. W. Barnum
Ft. Wingate I McKinley C. W. Barnum
Ft. Wingate II McKinley C. W. Barnum

Ft. Fillmore: This another fort in Dona Ana County. It is six miles south of Las Cruces, east of Brazito. It had a post office from 1852 until 1863. It was named for President Millard Fillmore. This fort was occupied by loyal Confederate citizens in 1861 for one day. The fort closed in 1862 and all remains have disappeared.  

Ft. Fauntleroy: This post in McKinley County is better known as Fort Wingate. See below.

Ft. McLane: This fort is in Grant County four miles south of Hurley. It was crated in 1860 by the 7th US Infantry.  It originally was named Fort Floyd and later named Fort McLane for Captain George McLane who was killed by Navajo Indians in 1861. Apache Chief Mangas Colorado was killed at this fort in 1861 according to Robert Julyan.

Ft. McRae: This post is in Sierra County. It was located where Elephant Butte Reservoir now stands. It was built in 1863. It was named for Captain Alexander McRae who was killed at the Battle of Valverde by Confederates. The fort closed in 1876.

Ft. Selden Springs: This fort is in Dona Ana County. It is now a state monument southeast of Radium Springs. It had a post office under different names from 1891 until 1923. The fort was created in 1865 to protect travelers of the Jornada del Muerto. It was named for Colonel Henry R. Selden. It closed in 1884.

Ft. Stanton: This historic fort is in Lincoln County. Much more history exists in Lincoln County than Billy the Kid silliness such as the Oscuro area, White Oaks, Angus, Bonito City, Smokey Bear, the Apache Mescalero Nation, and the Lincoln National Forest. Fort Stanton was created in 1855. It was named for Captain Henry W. Stanton who was killed by the Mescalero Apache Indians in January of 1855. It was invaded by the Confederates in 1861. Kit Carson re-took the Fort in 1862. It served its purpose until 1896 when it was closed. It was converted into a military hospital in 1899. In 1939 it was an internment camp for captured German sailors. See history. See Cemetery. See 1860 Census index.

Ft. Sumner: This fort is in De Baca County. It is four miles southeast of the town of Fort Sumner. It was built in 1862 to fight the Navajo and Apache Indians. It was named for Colonel Edmond Vose Sumner who established forts through out the southwest. The fort was closed in 1868. Over the years, at least four places in this area were called Fort Sumner.  

Ft. Webster: The fort was created in 1851 in Grant County. It was named for Secretary of State Daniel Webster. The fort died in 1853.

Ft. Thorn: This fort is in Dona Ana County north of Hatch. It was created in 1853. In 1859 the fort died after battling disease and floods. 

Ft. Wingate I and Ft. Wingate II: The history of this fort is confusing. It is in McKinley County east of Gallup. It has had a post office since 1874. It was first established as a post in 1849 at Seboyeta. It moved near the town of Ojo del Gallo ca. 1850. It was once called Camp Hay. In 1862 it was named Fort Wingate for Captain Benjamin Wingate who died at the Battle of Valverde. In 1868 it moved to Fort Lyon which was earlier called  Fort Fauntleroy but changed because the Commander (Colonel Thomas Fauntleroy) of the fort became a Confederate in 1862.  Under any name (Camp Hay, Fauntleroy, Lyon or Wingate 1 or Wingate II) and at any location, it was closed in 1992. The area still has a post office under the name of Ojo del Gallo.