The Masonic Cemetery of Silver City is an active cemetery located across the street from the Catholic Cemetery at the south end of Silver City. Silver City was originally known as San Vicente de La Cienaga when it was founded in 1870. Years later the name was changed to Silver City because of the mining boom. Before the AT&SF Railroad came to Silver City, twelve and fourteen-horse teams hauled ore and bullion into the city. Bricks of gold and silver were stacked on sidewalks outside shipping offices. Today it is a major center of the ranching industry, and it is the site of New Mexico State Teachers College.
Last Name First Name Date Date Notes CLIBE Sam Ollie 1896 Dec 21 1946 Jan 27 MO Private 70th Infantry 10th Division JOHNSON Claude L. 1904 Sep 22 1937 Feb 9 WAGNER Marie Louise Born in Belgium WAGNER Peter 1908 Jan 4