Search billions of records on

Otero County Church Photographs
by Marcena Thompson 2005
Return to Church Index

Our Lady of the Light Catholic Church, La Luz, Otero County, Built in 1958

 St. Joseph's Apache Mission built between 1920-1939, and took nearly 20 years to complete from local forest timber and local quarried stone.  It was built on a stone floor of Jornado Mogollon-culture prehistoric ruin and has 50 ft tall stone walls. Father Albert Braun was first assigned to Mescalero in 1916, and he and his parishioners members of the Mescalero community and volunteers from the area built it. State & National Historic Register. Source: Ruidoso News March 4, 2005

Intellectual and format copyright C. W. Barnum 2005