Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Socorro County Church Photographs

SocorroNMPresbyterianChurch.jpg (483215 bytes)

The Baptist Church (later bought by Presbyterian's)
of Socorro built in 1857
Photo by Crystal Baca Slater

LA JOYA DE SEVILLETA
Present day La Joya is located near the site of an ancient Piro Indian
Pueblo that the Spanish named Nueva Sevilla or Sevilleta. During the
eighteenth century, this was the southernmost settlement along the
Camino Real before travelers entered the "despoblado", or uninhabited area,
between La Joya de Sevilleta and El Paso del Norte. Every fall, caravans
assembled here in preparation for this portion of the journey.
Photo by Clarissa Cosgrove

Intellectual and format copyright C. W. Barnum 2004